Main Menu

The 13th Doctor

Started by Link Prime, 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Perhaps we don't really care that much anymore, but as every tabloid newspaper / news feed will remind you- there's currently a leading role vacancy in Dr. Who.

Any predictions or favorites in mind?

I'll miss the superb Capaldi, but wouldn't mind seeing Julian Rhind-Tutt or Richard Ayoade take the keys to the TARDIS.

Rately

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM
Perhaps we don't really care that much anymore, but as every tabloid newspaper / news feed will remind you- there's currently a leading role vacancy in Dr. Who.

I'll miss the superb Capaldi, but wouldn't mind seeing Julian Rhind-Tutt or Richard Ayoade take the keys to the TARDIS.

Be interesting to see how they cast, age-wise.

I'm assuming they'll cast younger.

Loved Capaldi in the role, and hoping that they continue the run of excellent actors in the role whether male or female!

Greg M.

I will be amazed if they don't cast a (fairly) young, quirky, good-looking guy, in an attempt to replicate the Tennant era. They're not going to get, say, Ben Whishaw, but that's the type of actor I assume they'll want. There has been a lot of speculation about Kris Marshall - he'd be a perfectly reasonable choice.

GordonR

Quote from: Rately on 02 March, 2017, 01:53:18 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 02 March, 2017, 01:25:30 PM

Be interesting to see how they cast, age-wise.

I'm assuming they'll cast younger.

Loved Capaldi in the role, and hoping that they continue the run of excellent actors in the role whether male or female!

They'll absolutely cast younger.  The Capaldii era has not overall been much of a ratings success, especially with younger age groups who made up a huge part of the Tennant and Smith eras.

Also, merchandising sales are in the toilet.

IndigoPrime

Kris Marshall's 43. I'll bet they'll go at least a decade younger. It wouldn't surprise me if we get a "youngest Doctor Who" story. Also, I'll be amazed if the Doctor is anything other than a white bloke.

Greg M.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 March, 2017, 03:02:50 PM
Kris Marshall's 43. I'll bet they'll go at least a decade younger... Also, I'll be amazed if the Doctor is anything other than a white bloke.

I think you're undoubtedly right on these points, but if it was Marshall, I reckon he'd do an ok job. I could see them going for an Aidan Turner type though.

IndigoPrime

A relative unknown, probably, too, in order to keep costs down.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 March, 2017, 03:35:44 PM
A relative unknown, probably, too, in order to keep costs down.

Rupert Grint can't be that prohibitive, shirley?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Goaty

Rara Avis

I've read somewhere that Tilda Swindon is rumored to be for the next Dr.

IndigoPrime

She's the current bookie favourite. I'd say: too old and too 'not a bloke'.

JLC

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 March, 2017, 03:02:50 PM
Kris Marshall's 43. I'll bet they'll go at least a decade younger. It wouldn't surprise me if we get a "youngest Doctor Who" story. Also, I'll be amazed if the Doctor is anything other than a white bloke.
I would definitely stop watching if it was him, such a bland actor. I love Capaldi but he has been the Pierce Brosnan of Dr Who, a great actor but given terrible scripts.

To be honest if it is another skinny white bloke I will probably say goodbye to Doctor Who. Zzzzz

Tony Angelino

I think Peter Capaldi was unlucky to be saddled with Stephen Moffet's production and stories. The combination of the older doctor and increasingly ridiculous stories that made little sense had people turning off in droves.

I don't think the BBC can afford to take too much of a risk with the next doctor or the programme may be going on another hiatus.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 02 March, 2017, 07:01:44 PM
I don't think the BBC can afford to take too much of a risk with the next doctor or the programme may be going on another hiatus.

Chibnall made an interesting comment about 'no gimmick casting' which is open to interpretation.

Zarjazzer

The 13th Doctor will be a pussycat. He/she will snooze whilst the Daleks invade(again).
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.