Main Menu

Prog 2024 - Meet Harvey

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 March, 2017, 01:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: CalHab on 25 March, 2017, 03:47:50 PM
The dates don't seem to tie up in Brink. It says Yuliya habitat was built 2075AD, but the pilot and two characters at the end were born on Yuliya before then. Or have I missed something?

I guess families of people working on the construction of the habs lived there before they were opened.

Dandontdare

CalHab

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 March, 2017, 01:08:01 PM
The dates don't seem to tie up in Brink. It says Yuliya habitat was built 2075AD, but the pilot and two characters at the end were born on Yuliya before then. Or have I missed something?

I guess families of people working on the construction of the habs lived there before they were opened.

And that's before we get to Dan Abnett saying that Brink is set a couple of hundred years in the future on the last podcast. All very confusing. But Brink is definitely the top story in the prog at the moment,

Woolly

Best prog in ages! And considering how good the prog's been recently, that's quite the achievement!

The cover is a superb bit of design, brilliant stuff.

Dredd - Now we're talking. So many different directions this story could take, can't wait to see how it pans out. McCrea's art is sublime, the new Mechanismo unit looks absolutely ace.

Brink continues to be utterly fascinating, and I still think Culbard's art style would be perfect for animation.

Great future shock, if a little compressed. As said, Nick Dyer's art is always a welcome pleasure in the prog.

Scarlet Traces also continues to be fascinating, and I just drown in the colourful majesty of D'Isreali's work.

Deadworld has connected with me in a way the previous series didn't. Can't put my finger on it, but i'm truly adoring every panel at the minute. I really want a sarcastic byke of my own...

9/10. As good as a prog gets  :thumbsup:

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 28 March, 2017, 06:00:51 PM
I still think Culbard's art style would be perfect for animation.

I'm pretty sure Ian's background is in animation.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bad City Blue

Harvey is interesting, and I'm very impressed with McRea's art - a nice evolution of style from him.

having read part 2 I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

The "Harvey" film cover homage is inspired.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

JayzusB.Christ

Great prog. 
Surprised nobody's mentioned Droid Life yet - now that was dark, man.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes

Cover: Excellent. Old school, gritty. The colours - the white background, the blue shadow and the black logo - work superbly.

Dredd: A Wagner masterclass of storytelling over six pages. A tantalising opener but not a single redundant panel. McCrea's artwork as perfect for the strip mas it was the cover. A great story for lovers of muzzle flashes! Particularly love the laser flashes, like little halos, on the third page. Favourite moment: hand through the wall.

Brink: Those star fields! The colour palette for the space scenes is so deep and lush. Glorious. Like the little artistic touches such as the neon-blue headset thing. A slow-burn episode with plenty of dialogue, not to the story's detriment - it was well-written scene-setting reminiscent perhaps of a Scandi-noir TV series - but the final page was a bit lacking... perhaps a graphic hint of the new death would have helped... I suppose it's inevitable though, that individual episodes of stories will sometimes lack impact when they've really been constructed for the trade paperback.

Future Shock - Family Time: Good, but yes, covered a lot over four (?) pages. Nice bit of misdirection - a time twister where the twist is actually not to do with time travel. Would actually quite like to see a strip rolled out following Olly and his band of feral kids from across the ages, pursued by the temporal authorities. Over to you, Tharg..?

Scarlet Traces: Hmm... still not quite clicking... two very different instalments so far, so let's see how it goes. Going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps D'Israeli's artwork (though excellent, don't get me wrong) isn't best suited to this strip? It seems more like the sort of retro-styled space opera that someone like John Burns should be tackling. Perhaps.

Deadworld: Great stuff. Contains my favourite panel in the prog, where Jess says something like "Didn't anyone look our for you when you were younger..?" and we just see Fairfax's weary, exhausted face sans dialogue.

TordelBack

How good is Nick Dyer's art on that FS.  I could look at it all day, the brilliance of the light, the 3D modelling of the distinctive faces, the use of empty spaces in panels...

In fact, together with McCrea, Brooker, Culbard and Kendall I'd defy anyone to find another comic that has a fresher, more stylistically diverse and utterly gorgeous roster of storyreling art.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 March, 2017, 12:46:16 PM
How good is Nick Dyer's art on that FS.  I could look at it all day, the brilliance of the light, the 3D modelling of the distinctive faces, the use of empty spaces in panels...

In fact, together with McCrea, Brooker, Culbard and Kendall I'd defy anyone to find another comic that has a fresher, more stylistically diverse and utterly gorgeous roster of storyreling art.

Yes, this is the best Nick Dyer art I've seen to date - I think I prefer him in black and white - and also the best McCrea art I've seen.  The latter has a touch of Vince Locke and also Frank Miller when he was good, and the 80's letratone effects just elevate it to the sublime.  Like I say, top prog. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: Greg M. on 26 March, 2017, 11:49:25 AM
I haven't got the prog yet, but I read the first episode of 'Harvey' online here, and I must say, I haven't enjoyed an episode of Dredd so much since the bit in Day of Chaos when the Dark Judges appeared. 'Dredd with a rookie' stories are frequently amongst Wagner's best - all the stuff with Giant Jnr, for instance - and this is a great spin on it. A fine balance of the outlandish and the realistic, powered by continuity stretching back decades. Exactly what I want from the series.

That preview episode is a killer - it means instead of having to wait one week until the next episode I have to wait two weeks!

sheridan

I noticed that last week - it could be hand-waved by saying there were a few births on board during the construction period, but we've got two characters of vastly different social classes who seem to have been born in the same situation now...

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 March, 2017, 09:00:49 PM
Great prog. 
Surprised nobody's mentioned Droid Life yet - now that was dark, man.

Obvious joke, and yet I still fell for it *groan*.

sheridan

Quote from: Woolly on 28 March, 2017, 06:00:51 PM
Deadworld has connected with me in a way the previous series didn't. Can't put my finger on it, but i'm truly adoring every panel at the minute. I really want a sarcastic byke of my own...

And picking up the IDW reprint of Cry of the Werewolf, so much like Dredd's Lawmaster used to be.

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 March, 2017, 01:05:55 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 30 March, 2017, 12:46:16 PM

Yes, this is the best Nick Dyer art I've seen to date - I think I prefer him in black and white - and also the best McCrea art I've seen.  The latter has a touch of Vince Locke and also Frank Miller when he was good, and the 80's letratone effects just elevate it to the sublime.  Like I say, top prog. 

agreed - Dyer's inking is fantastic - the lighting and shadows are really well done. He just gets better and better.

And those others are pretty darn fine too!