Main Menu

Thoughts on the fall of deadworld?

Started by marko10174, 29 March, 2017, 02:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: sheridan on 11 April, 2017, 08:14:45 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 April, 2017, 05:23:04 PM
Quote from: Arkwright99 on 05 April, 2017, 04:52:56 PM
the optimist in me hopes that Fairfax and Cassie  The realist however knows that's never going to happen.  :'(

I doubt this is likely -

SMF got rid of all the spoilered quoted stuff, so just assume this follows from the previous post, yes?

Yep, also the flesh under Judge Death's fingernails in his first appearance was said by forensics to be centuries old - unless that's a side effect of the dead fluids?

As an aside, if Fairfax is the Deadworld version of Dredd, does that mean that [spoiler]Cassie[/spoiler] is our [spoiler]Cassandra[/spoiler]?

[spoiler]She's called Jess[/spoiler]

Steve Green

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 April, 2017, 05:23:04 PM
Quote from: Arkwright99 on 05 April, 2017, 04:52:56 PM
the optimist in me hopes that Fairfax and Cassie [spoiler]manage to get their hands on the dimension-jumping technology that Death & the DJs used to reach Mega-City 1, which could tie 'Fall of Deadworld' into the original 'Judge Death' serial, and escape.[/spoiler] The realist however knows that's never going to happen.  :'(

I doubt this is likely - [spoiler]the DJs only acquired D-jumps long after they'd killed everyone on deadworld and were starting to get bored ruling an empty planet. I think this was a 'humorous' Meg one-off, but can't remember exactly.[/spoiler]

Ian Gibson drawn story - Judge Death: the True Story Progs 901-902

AlexF

Also, Deadworld sort of already has its own version of Anderson from her fever-dreams as experienced in Anderson, Psi: Half-Life. That functions really well as a pre-Fall of Deadworld scene-setter, giving a flavour of daily life in a world where Sindey De'ath can make it big. Not quite as grimy and apocalyptic as Dave Kendall, but Arthur Ranson sure makes it feel like a place not to live in!

Dave Kendall

Quote from: AlexF on 13 April, 2017, 11:53:59 AM
Also, Deadworld sort of already has its own version of Anderson from her fever-dreams as experienced in Anderson, Psi: Half-Life. That functions really well as a pre-Fall of Deadworld scene-setter, giving a flavour of daily life in a world where Sindey De'ath can make it big. Not quite as grimy and apocalyptic as Dave Kendall, but Arthur Ranson sure makes it feel like a place not to live in!

Those stories by Alan Grant and the late Tony Luke were pretty important for Kek and myself going into this. Ranson's amazing work definitely provided me with the visual direction I wanted to go. So, less mediaeval feel and nodding much more to our present era of architecture and tech. You are right, Alex. They provided a far darker view than Young Death. It seemed far more threatening.  I'm glad people as a whole are enjoying this.

TordelBack

All three Deadworld series (so far) have been fantastic, often my top story in a given prog (and it has appeared in some particularly strong line-ups). In theory a Dark Judges prequel with painted art would be near the bottom of my 2000AD preferences, but from the superb Dreams... on you two gents have built on the original idea and created something unique and inspiredly horrible, just oozing corruption and despair. Keep it up!

JudgeJudi

I'm wondering if Fairfax actually becomes[spoiler] Judge Scourge? Who is the only Dark Judge we see wearing that style of helmet[/spoiler]

Jacqusie

I've just finished re-reading Young Death in the Meg - and the way that the story fast-forwards the fall of deadworld proves that there are so many stories out there to be told in this sphere.

I like that it looks and reads different from the other Dredd-world stories and it's great trying to figure out the good guys from the bad and those we are to meet.

Great work by all concerned - the art is wonderful and a definite highlight in the progs over the last few years. Long may it continue...

:thumbsup:

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2017, 10:42:02 AM
All three Deadworld series (so far) have been fantastic, often my top story in a given prog (and it has appeared in some particularly strong line-ups). In theory a Dark Judges prequel with painted art would be near the bottom of my 2000AD preferences, but from the superb Dreams... on you two gents have built on the original idea and created something unique and inspiredly horrible, just oozing corruption and despair. Keep it up!

That they managed to make a totally expressionless, undynamic machine like a bike a full-blown character – with comedic chops – must be commended.

JudgeJudi

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 April, 2017, 09:14:38 PM

As an aside, if Fairfax is the Deadworld version of Dredd, does that mean that [spoiler]Cassie[/spoiler] is our [spoiler]Cassandra[/spoiler]?

[spoiler]She's called Jess[/spoiler]

Although  I notice in Prog 2027 it's revealed (unless we knew this information and I missed it?) - that her mother was called [spoiler]Cassandra Childs[/spoiler].

IndigoPrime

I really like the current strip in 2000 AD. I was never a fan of Young Death and felt it removed the horror and mystery from the character. I also never quite understood why the uniforms – originally a direct play on MC-1 armour – were so wildly different. But this latest strip is great, and although it seems likely to barrel towards a horrible and bleak ending, who knows where it might go?

TordelBack

I'm really fascinated that the same basic setup that gave us Mrs. Gunderson's lodger Jay, Judge Death wearing alternately an old lady's pearls and a rubber chicken on his shoulder, and the Three Amigos, can also give us the opening sequence of this week's Cursed (Part 5): the displaced eyes in the skull, the decapitation, the relentless grinding horror of it all...

It's as if Dave and Nigel have noticed that the standout sequence with the Dark Judges in the past 30 years was the bit with Mortis chasing Giant's gang through the decaying ruins, and then wrote an entire series of just that, but on a global scale... and it's brilliant.  Deadworld gives me actual nightmares, and individual pages make me physically recoil - that's quality comics right there.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 April, 2017, 11:46:48 PM
It's as if Dave and Nigel have noticed that the standout sequence with the Dark Judges in the past 30 years was the bit with Mortis chasing Giant's gang through the decaying ruins

Gotta love Necropolis, great stuff.

JoFox2108

I am really enjoying this strip too.  The artwork is beautiful but unlike some painted art, it still reads really clearly which is fabulous. The characters are just brilliant.  I love Fairfax's struggle against the drug regime he's previously been fed and the interaction he has with Jess.   I also love it that the bike is a character too. 
Another thing I am really enjoying is that I can't guess what's going to happen.  That's different, I think, in 2000AD compared to other comics.  In DC and Marvel the stories all seem like reworkings of the same stuff and, when I was reading their stuff, I was rarely surprised.  But 2000AD is properly creative - the real thing.  Best comic I've ever read.
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

NapalmKev

I'm probably widely off the mark but I'm going to suggest that Fairfax is actually [spoiler]Judge Mortis[/spoiler]. The only reason I have is [spoiler]During the first series we see Mortis drinking his concoctions. I believe this is a follow on to the fact he is making his own medicine (at the moment) to keep him going.[/spoiler]

Perhaps not.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Corinthian

Quote from: NapalmKev on 21 April, 2017, 09:38:33 AM
I'm probably widely off the mark but I'm going to suggest that Fairfax is actually [spoiler]Judge Mortis[/spoiler].

We've already seen that particular character in an earlier episode.