Long live the Sega Megadrive!

Started by dweezil2, 29 March, 2017, 06:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mute77

I loved my old megadrive. My fave games were road rash, speedball 2, james pond and flashback! I miss the simplicity of cartridges- cant be arsed downloading, installing and updating everything!

Colin YNWA

One of the few games consoles I've owned and while I like Speedball it was Micro Machines that RULED!

Rately

Ohhh! I've managed to stop playing Speedball 2 in a while, but I've not got it downloading again!

The good lady will be very cross with you all for mentioning it.

SIP

Quote from: Mute77 on 29 March, 2017, 07:02:17 PM
I loved my old megadrive. My fave games were road rash, speedball 2, james pond and flashback! I miss the simplicity of cartridges- cant be arsed downloading, installing and updating everything!

Bah, they aren't mega drive games. Speedball 2, James pond and flashback are all commodore amiga games that were eventually ported onto consoles. Now THAT was a cool games machine. Cartridges be damned, floppy disc all the way.

Also, certainly for flashback, they played better on the amiga.

Heath C Ackley

Loved Speedball 2. It was Harlem Heroes without the jet-packs.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Jim_Campbell

Eternal Champions on the MegaDrive is the only computer game I've ever finished. True story. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mute77

How could i forget toe jam and earl on the list of megadrive greats? One of the few games i never managed to complete no matter how many times i played it for. I think a remake was recently announced saying it will be like the original!

Rately

Quote from: Mute77 on 29 March, 2017, 07:56:39 PM
How could i forget toe jam and earl on the list of megadrive greats? One of the few games i never managed to complete no matter how many times i played it for. I think a remake was recently announced saying it will be like the original!

An utterly bizarre, but brilliant game.

Haven't seen many games like that.

dweezil2

Streets Of Rage II takes some beating (harg, harg) and for me it's still one of the finest games ever made and arguably the finest progressive beat 'em up ever.
It's also a game that Paprium closely resembles.

So many other great games on the Megradive, including superb arcade conversions like Golden Axe, Forgotten Worlds, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Afterburner, Outrun, Space Harrier, as well as classy original titles like Sonic, Ecco The Dolphin, etc.

It was easily my favourite console of that generation, if not any generation.  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Rately

Quote from: SIP on 29 March, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Bah, they aren't mega drive games. Speedball 2, James pond and flashback are all commodore amiga games that were eventually ported onto consoles. Now THAT was a cool games machine. Cartridges be damned, floppy disc all the way.

Loved my Amiga. So many fond memories of SWOS, Synducate, Cannon Fodder and nearly anything by the Bitmap Brothers.

Tony Angelino

I had the Megadrive and later purchased both the Mega CD 2 and the 32X. Neither of the latter were supported by Sega very well and it became a struggle to get any good games.

I have fond memories of F1, Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine, Doom (32x). I was going to say Micro Machines but I think I played that on PlayStation. There was also a game called Snatcher for the Mega CD.

I still have mine in my Mum's roofspace but not sure if it all works.

JamesC

I have a fairly healthy collection of Megadrive games - it's my favourite system.

Favourites of mine are Ranger X, Super Fantasy Zone and Shadow Dancer. Oh, and Wonder Boy in Moster World!

For 2000ad connections, the Judge Dredd game is decent, as are all of the Strike series.

SIP

Quote from: Rately on 29 March, 2017, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: SIP on 29 March, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Loved my Amiga. So many fond memories of SWOS, Synducate, Cannon Fodder and nearly anything by the Bitmap Brothers.

Absolutely agree on the bitmaps, my favourites too - xenon 2, speedball 2, chaos engine, cadaver and gods were all favourites. Also loved the team 17 games. Great stuff.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mute77 on 29 March, 2017, 07:56:39 PM
How could i forget toe jam and earl on the list of megadrive greats?

Oh my God -- Panic on Funktron was just amazing. I'll be honest, we got more value out of our Megadrive than our PlayStation 1, 2 and 3 put together. We used to have friends round and would spend entire evenings all hunched up on the sofa trying to work out how to navigate levels of Lemmings.

The only PS game that ever came close was Abe's Oddysee, which I adored.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.