Main Menu

Prog 2025 - The Road to Hell

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 April, 2017, 03:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

All relax, as you were, nothing to see here.

It may be 1st April bit Tharg ain't foolin' with the thrillpower, we continue on simply excellent form.

Dredd builds in the direction I was expecting, very, very well. Its great stuff and the question we have is were does it go from here. Its predictable, up to now but excellent.

Brink is just plain excellent, a story built quite fantastically on a conversation of the week basis and this one's just a doozy. Soomehow, almost imperspectively the tension is building and I adore this series.

Scarlet Traces is pulling a similar trick, its apparatus are more obvious but the tension its slowly building is great and there a Doctor Whoesque cliffhanger this week.

Future Shock does feel a little too familar which isn't a good thing in this type of story but its done effectively enough and ya know Steve Yeowell so this one is just about a pass.

Deadworld still continues to defy my expectations by being superb. Well done that expectation defying creative team.

Advert at the back is for the return of Defoe a strip I've never really warmed to BUT with Colin MacNeill taking over art I'm rather looking forward to seeing now he affects the feel of the strip.

All good Tharg you carry on old boy, you carry on.

Geoff

Love the DPS that kicks off Scarlett Traces - and an engrossing story. Brink's real quality stuff too.

Getting into the Dark judges tale more this time round.

Wasn't keen on the Future Shock and I wasn't as impressed as I usually am with Steve Yeowell's art.  I didn't even immediately identify the first page as his...not sure what it is..

I am most intrigued by how Dredd is going...McCrea's art is certainly lively but can be a bit scrappy at times.

Overall an excellent prog though.

Woolly

Another superb prog!

Not much to add after Colin's post, but I was a bit more thrilled with the Future Shock.
The Yeowell droid is turning in some of his best work in years recently, and this is no exception. Script ain't shoddy either.

Covers one of Clint's best.

Wall to wall brilliance, this prog. Extra oil rations all round!

Woolly

Quote from: Woolly on 01 April, 2017, 06:49:26 PM

Which should read 'The cover is one of Clint's best so far'.

Richard

In Dredd I'm now actually rooting for the robot.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 01 April, 2017, 07:36:51 PM
In Dredd I'm now actually rooting for the robot.

I always root for the poor rookie who gets Dredd as their examining Judge!

Proudhuff

Damn just lost whole review, In brief:
Scarlet Traces Splash page the highlight for me.
Adapted Supercar,  Eagle transporter Dan Dare space suit and Fireball XL5 all adding to the greatness of this story and art.
Deedworld no my cuppa.
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Prog only turned up yesterday, so only read Dredd and Brink so far.

Dredd fairly predictable so far. I am waiting for it to all go horribly wrong. I don't really get all the love for McRea's art. Personally I think he has done better e.g. Trifecta and the IDW Anderson.

Brink is Dan Abnett doing what he does best. A good solid tale, told well and in a completely understandable way that gets on with it. I am going to make a prediction here: the "ghost" is going to turn out to be [spoiler][spoiler] Brinkman's spirit[/spoiler]

I, Cosh

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 April, 2017, 09:24:02 AM
Dredd fairly predictable so far. I am waiting for it to all go horribly wrong. I don't really get all the love for McRea's art. Personally I think he has done better e.g. Trifecta and the IDW Anderson.
Err... Are you sure you've got the right man there?
We never really die.

Magnetica

Doh - that was Carl Crithlow!

Sorry didn't check it.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 April, 2017, 09:58:14 AM
Doh - that was Carl Crithlow!

Should have mentioned that my sporadic amnesia is contagious.

I really love Dredd-assesses-Rookie stories, and this one's no exception. And I am really digging McCrea's art - everything has an immediacy and a worn-in character at the same time. There's not a dull moment in it.

TordelBack

Here's a thought: wouldn't it be cool if Dredd sought Beeny's opinion on this? She's worked with robot auxiliaries during and after Chaos Day, she has a keen sense of justice and of Justice Dept's failings. My guess is that second opinions aren't in an assessing officer's gift, and further that he might not want to embroil Ami in another of his controversies. I'd still like to hear her thoughts, though!

Buttonman

Sneaky mid-Prog letters page - the Beast sees all.

Good rounded Prog for me with lots of varied thrills.

Steve Green

Quote from: Woolly on 01 April, 2017, 06:49:26 PM
Another superb prog!

Not much to add after Colin's post, but I was a bit more thrilled with the Future Shock.
The Yeowell droid is turning in some of his best work in years recently, and this is no exception. Script ain't shoddy either.

Wall to wall brilliance, this prog. Extra oil rations all round!

I thought the grey tone worked really well on the FS art.