Main Menu

Ghost in the Shell

Started by JamesC, 06 April, 2017, 06:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Hey, local arthouse was showing the original Aime on the big screen and it was glorious!!

Ten minutes of animated rain should have been the most boring thing in the world as it was, it was stunning.
I 've seen fight scenes between giant robots that were boring compared to that.

If you get the chance see the original on a big screen, haven't yet seen the live0-action so can't comment.
DDT did a job on me

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: HdE on 10 April, 2017, 07:25:18 PM
Look up 'Kusanagi' on Wikipedia. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if you'd find many people in Japan who wre born with that name.

In the source material, it's an assumed / appropriated name given to the character, just like her body is given to her. Seeing folks all over social media saying 'she should be played by a Japanese actress if she has a Japanese name' has been a MASSIVE source of irritation to me.

As always, though, not saying this to get on anyone's case. Just trying to put accurate info out there.

'Kusanagi' is a Japanese word, though. It's also part of Japanese lore, so we can add cultural appropriation to the movie's transgressions ;)

Given that manga/anime characters are often mukokuseki, a biracial actor in the lead role have been more appropriate than someone Japanese. In the late '90s/early Naughties, THE MATRIX was a mid-budget film (albeit high-end). Keanu's name by itself hadn't carried a commercial success since SPEED but unlike, say, Maggie Q he was at least a known quantity (bolstered by various ensemble pieces), despite a series of flops prior to THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE.

And that's the problem. Factoring in the additional expense of prints and advertising, there isn't a biracial female actor who's considered bankable enough to justify GHOST IN THE SHELL not being allocated a blockbuster's budget.

Professor Bear

Scarbo is an objective gamble as a lead, despite her high profile from successful ensemble movies like the MCU flicks.  A studio with faith in their movie wouldn't be put off by casting someone with a shorter CV, as evidenced by a long list of comic book/action movies with stars who weren't exactly A-list at the time those films were made.

Although speaking as a white guy on a comics forum, I don't think whitewashing is that big a deal.  Aloha was an okay film, and some of the Charlie Chans were quite good.

HdE

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 11 April, 2017, 03:43:36 PM
'Kusanagi' is a Japanese word, though. It's also part of Japanese lore, so we can add cultural appropriation to the movie's transgressions ;)

The bigger problem is how the movie actually treats that name, ironically. That, for me, WAS a problem.

Also: Nobody likes a smartarse.  :P
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

positronic

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 April, 2017, 02:25:05 PM
Ah no, I've worded things badly there - what I meant was that there have been differend GiTS 'brands' or soft reboots with different approaches and was using SAC and Arise as the examples. Not aware of any other iterations, but I've never really considered those two series as taking place in the same continuity as the two anime movies, they feel much more like distinctly different self contained series to me. So from that point of view I never had a problem with the idea of a US version, particularly as it distinguishes itself by using a new storyline (even if it does work in the iconic set-pieces and scenes from the original).

Ah, understood. Perhaps just some confusion of context.
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 April, 2017, 02:25:05 PMArise is good, although I personally don't think it's SAC-good. Damn that series was great.

I want to second that with gusto! I guess if I were a more cautious man I'd stop and think really really carefully before saying something like this, but what the heck, I guess I must have spent enough time in the past thinking about it. SAC may be the best anime I've ever seen, in terms of consistency, respecting the viewers' intelligence, and including thought-provoking philosophical subtext regarding questions with no easy answers.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 April, 2017, 04:23:32 PM
Scarbo is an objective gamble as a lead, despite her high profile

To be fair, who else was there? J-Law was on a $20 million promise with Chris Pratt and she had all that blue face paint to scrub off once she'd fulfilled her X-MEN contract.

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 April, 2017, 04:23:32 PM
from successful ensemble movies like the MCU flicks.  A studio with faith in their movie wouldn't be put off by casting someone with a shorter CV, as evidenced by a long list of comic book/action movies with stars who weren't exactly A-list at the time those films were made.

I'm not sure it's a lack of faith, more a desire to maximize return. "Look! ScarJo! Kicking arse! In! the! nud! (oh, okay, it's a nude suit) But! SCARJO! KICKING ARSE! IN! THE!" etc..