Main Menu

Sales Figures?

Started by Bad City Blue, 06 April, 2017, 03:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Does anyone know the sales figures for 2000AD and Dredd?

Also what would the break even point be?

No reason except curiosity.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Colin YNWA

Its an oft discussed subject, with very little hard facts backing up the speculation I'm afraid.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 06 April, 2017, 03:51:14 PM
Also what would the break even point be?

No reason except curiosity.

I've done some very back-of-the-envelopey sums on this over the years, but given only the sketchiest of info on page rates, plus no proper info on how much of the cover price Tharg gets from subs (more than newsstand, I'd imagine, but I don't know how much) nor the number of subscribers compared to newsstand/high street sales, it's really little more than plucking a number out of thin air.

FWIW, then, I'm pretty sure 2000AD would still break even around the 10K sales mark, probably a little lower. The last sniff of a sales figure we had was in a Guardian article a couple of years ago that said "about 15K".

Even this is no real indicator of financial viability, though, since it doesn't consider a long tail of revenue from reprints and licensing. All 2000AD's creative costs are front-loaded onto the weekly, but it's very likely that overall the title would still be viable below a notional break even due to the additional income from the extensive reprint catalogue.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.