Main Menu

Dredd at Number 2?

Started by Tjm86, 07 April, 2017, 05:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

For those intersted,the writers of "Comics should be good" started their own thing at Atomic Junk Shop,so you might want to check that out.

Art

That's good to know!

Poor old CBR is in a pretty fallen state these days.

Eric Plumrose

DREDD didn't debut until Prog . . . oh, remind me.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

positronic

Quote from: Sandman1 on 09 April, 2017, 05:31:06 PM
Quote from: positronic on 09 April, 2017, 09:08:07 AMWe know what Joe Dredd's face actually looks like though -- he looks exactly like Judge Fargo, from whom he was cloned.

That's another, somewhat negative aspect with the character. He comes off as a paper doll, ready to be replaced as soon as he expires.

That's been explored. Kraken didn't fill the bill somehow, even though genetically, he's identical. They're individuals though, just like Rogue and Friday, even they shared the exact same DNA.

For that matter, go back as early as the Rico story.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 12 April, 2017, 05:50:52 PM
For those intersted,the writers of "Comics should be good" started their own thing at Atomic Junk Shop,so you might want to check that out.

Oh wow that had completely passed me by. That looks great and more inmportantly well timed for a long slow weekend to catch up with it all.

Another refugee of CBR's showing their value that would have been stifled if there'd stayed in their homeland is Pipelinecomics.com by Augie De Blieck Jr. Well worth checking out if you haven't before.

Sandman1

Quote from: positronic on 13 April, 2017, 04:26:14 PMThat's been explored. Kraken didn't fill the bill somehow, even though genetically, he's identical. They're individuals though, just like Rogue and Friday, even they shared the exact same DNA.

Well, I think the cloning aspect devalues the character a bit. Can't someone else take over Dredd's role, like judge Giant? He seems to be a very capable fellow, and maybe a little more human than Dredd.
Error...

positronic

Quote from: Sandman1 on 14 April, 2017, 03:22:48 PM
Quote from: positronic on 13 April, 2017, 04:26:14 PMThat's been explored. Kraken didn't fill the bill somehow, even though genetically, he's identical. They're individuals though, just like Rogue and Friday, even they shared the exact same DNA.

Well, I think the cloning aspect devalues the character a bit. Can't someone else take over Dredd's role, like judge Giant? He seems to be a very capable fellow, and maybe a little more human than Dredd.

Well it's pretty obvious when you think about it, isn't it? I mean, beyond sales dropping like a stone, even apart from those sort of real life considerations.

Sandman1

Quote from: positronic on 14 April, 2017, 03:57:05 PMWell it's pretty obvious when you think about it, isn't it? I mean, beyond sales dropping like a stone, even apart from those sort of real life considerations.

Just some highly speculative musings.
Error...

positronic

Quote from: Sandman1 on 14 April, 2017, 10:26:54 PM
Quote from: positronic on 14 April, 2017, 03:57:05 PMWell it's pretty obvious when you think about it, isn't it? I mean, beyond sales dropping like a stone, even apart from those sort of real life considerations.

Just some highly speculative musings.

Just trying to point out that there's only ONE Judge Dredd, or ever will be. Judges Fargo, Rico, Kraken... all have identical DNA, but they're all individuals with different life experiences, memories, and beliefs -- and all of them are capable of making different free-will choices. "Judge Dredd" isn't some mask or costume that can be handed down to a successor like a legacy. Judge Giant is Judge GIANT, not Judge Dredd. They already have similar roles in the sense that they have the same job description - they're both Judges. Dredd is Dredd, Giant is Giant, Anderson is Anderson. If Anderson can have her own series, so can another Judge, if deemed popular enough with the readership. None of those characters will ever BE "Judge Dredd", though.

Besides, if they had to change the title of the Megazine to Judge Giant Megazine, it might lead all sorts of confusion and misunderstandings. "I don't get it -- it's just a regular-size edition of the magazine, with no extra pages?!"   :D

BPP

Cept it wasn't a clicker... Least not on the ipad.

Superhero audiences are so needy... US comics has lots of cops that deserve a place on the list for being, ya know, actual cops rather than superheroes. Diana Cyprus from the fantastic, and just completed, Revival for one. Rick Grimes comes to mind too of we're ignoring cops-doing-cop-stuff.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Sandman1

Quote from: positronic on 15 April, 2017, 05:38:31 AMJust trying to point out that there's only ONE Judge Dredd, or ever will be. Judges Fargo, Rico, Kraken... all have identical DNA, but they're all individuals with different life experiences, memories, and beliefs -- and all of them are capable of making different free-will choices. "Judge Dredd" isn't some mask or costume that can be handed down to a successor like a legacy. Judge Giant is Judge GIANT, not Judge Dredd. They already have similar roles in the sense that they have the same job description - they're both Judges. Dredd is Dredd, Giant is Giant, Anderson is Anderson. If Anderson can have her own series, so can another Judge, if deemed popular enough with the readership. None of those characters will ever BE "Judge Dredd", though.

Besides, if they had to change the title of the Megazine to Judge Giant Megazine, it might lead all sorts of confusion and misunderstandings. "I don't get it -- it's just a regular-size edition of the magazine, with no extra pages?!"   :D

I do not deny the obvious facts, I'm just pointing out some negative aspects with the character. 
Error...

positronic

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 April, 2017, 04:35:09 PM
Quote from: positronic on 15 April, 2017, 05:38:31 AMJust trying to point out that there's only ONE Judge Dredd, or ever will be. Judges Fargo, Rico, Kraken... all have identical DNA, but they're all individuals with different life experiences, memories, and beliefs -- and all of them are capable of making different free-will choices. "Judge Dredd" isn't some mask or costume that can be handed down to a successor like a legacy. Judge Giant is Judge GIANT, not Judge Dredd. They already have similar roles in the sense that they have the same job description - they're both Judges. Dredd is Dredd, Giant is Giant, Anderson is Anderson. If Anderson can have her own series, so can another Judge, if deemed popular enough with the readership. None of those characters will ever BE "Judge Dredd", though.

I do not deny the obvious facts, I'm just pointing out some negative aspects with the character.

I'm questioning why you see it as negative. It's neutral unless you choose to view it as negative. The only general thing coming through here is something like (to paraphrase) "Clones are bad." That may or may not be a fair characterization of your attitude, but it's as best I can make it out. If it IS a fair summation, then I fail to understand why clones are bad. Just because they share the same DNA with someone else? That was why I tried to illustrate with examples that clones are not xerox copies. Families share a lot of the same DNA, and identical twins even more. Why is having the same DNA as someone else a bad thing? It doesn't automatically make them a backup copy in case of emergencies, or dictate what their character is. It seems like you're saying a clone's automatically, almost by definition, some kind of cheap knockoff, like a no-name or generic brand of something more popular. And that seems to be exactly how the word 'clone' is used in popular parlance -- but I don't buy that fiction. Except for the fact that he's the star of the series and readers were introduced to him first, then Judge Dredd would just be a cheap imitation of Judge Fargo. Or is that exactly what he is?

Sandman1

But how much more different than Fargo is Dredd? He looks like him and his doubts seems to stem from the fact that Fargo didn't want the totalitarian rule to last forever. A clone is not necessarily an exact copy, but why should I care about the character when you can just produce a new person from the predecessor's germ plasm and get the same appearance and many of that charcter's traits? The fact that Dredd is aging along with the comic is a bit original, but it becomes more and more silly as the time goes by. He is over 70 years old but can more or less function like an athlete.
Error...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 April, 2017, 11:26:07 PM
But how much more different than Fargo is Dredd? He looks like him and his doubts seems to stem from the fact that Fargo didn't want the totalitarian rule to last forever.

After sowing his wild oats Dredd doesn't put a bullet in his head or run a protection racket like Rico.

I don't think Dredd has too many doubts about the Justice system at this point but he can't square Fargo's death prattle with how he sees the city now. I think Dredd sees himself as more a Judge than Fargo ever was.

The fact that Dredd is aging along with the comic is a bit original, but it becomes more and more silly as the time goes by. He is over 70 years old but can more or less function like an athlete.

As John Wagner has often said 70 is the new 40 in the 22nd Century and Joe Dredd has had a recent semi-rejuve to keep his pecker up.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 April, 2017, 11:26:07 PM
But how much more different than Fargo is Dredd? He looks like him and his doubts seems to stem from the fact that Fargo didn't want the totalitarian rule to last forever.

After sowing his wild oats Dredd doesn't put a bullet in his head or run a protection racket like Rico.

I don't think Dredd has too many doubts about the Justice system at this point but he can't square Fargo's death prattle with how he sees the city now. I think Dredd sees himself as more a Judge than Fargo ever was.

Quote from: Sandman1 on 17 April, 2017, 11:26:07 PMThe fact that Dredd is aging along with the comic is a bit original, but it becomes more and more silly as the time goes by. He is over 70 years old but can more or less function like an athlete.

As John Wagner has often said 70 is the new 40 in the 22nd Century and Joe Dredd has had a recent semi-rejuve to keep his pecker up.