Main Menu

Judge Dredd in Colour

Started by JoFox2108, 09 April, 2017, 03:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

I preferred Titan's album format to the Rebellion standard size (a little wider than American TPs, same height) trade paperbacks. I miss them as I'm sitting here trying to read word balloons and captions stuck in the binding between two pages as reprinted from an original 2000 AD centerspread. Titan's graphic albums were a good size.

Stu101

Quote from: JoFox2108 on 19 April, 2017, 08:28:29 AM
PS:  I'm a female.  Jo is short for Joanne!   :)

Whoops, sorry Jo, there's me presuming!  :-[

I'll PM you with some details.

positronic

Forgot to mention this last week when I got my copy, but JUDGE DREDD: THE CAPE AND COWL CRIMES was a recent Rebellion TP release, and it's about 80% in color.

JoFox2108

Hi everyone,  Thanks again for all your advice!  Just wanted to let you know, Case Files 12, 13 and 14 just arrived this morning.  Oh my goodness, so much Dredd to read.  This is the best Saturday morning ever!

Thx Positronic, I'll look into that Cape and Cowl Crimes book too.

Thanks again guys,
Jo
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

positronic

Was Judgment Day (Garth Ennis +various artists) already mentioned? I was going to start reading that the other day, but looking at the timeline that prefaces the book, it occurs to me that I should get a copy of Necropolis and read that first (since it was already on my want list anyway). Judgment Day winds up with a visit from the time-traveling Strontium Dog, Johnny Alpha, so it's something I look forward to reading. If I have any difficulty locating a copy of Necropolis, then I'll probably just skip it and go straight into Judgment Day.

WhizzBang

Quote from: positronic on 22 April, 2017, 04:50:36 PM
Was Judgment Day (Garth Ennis +various artists) already mentioned? I was going to start reading that the other day, but looking at the timeline that prefaces the book, it occurs to me that I should get a copy of Necropolis and read that first (since it was already on my want list anyway). Judgment Day winds up with a visit from the time-traveling Strontium Dog, Johnny Alpha, so it's something I look forward to reading. If I have any difficulty locating a copy of Necropolis, then I'll probably just skip it and go straight into Judgment Day.
You don't need to have read Necropolis to read Judgement Day. It probably wasn't mentioned as it is not a very well regarded story.

Necropolis is a far far better story than Judgement Day but you should read the strips leading up to it (Case Files 13) as well as the Dead Man before reading Necropolis.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: JoFox2108 on 10 April, 2017, 11:51:35 AM
Hi Everyone!

Wow - you guys are EXCELLENT!  Thanks so much for the advice.   :cool: 

I'm going to go for the case files as my main reading and then fill up as much as I can from the early stuff with Eagle Comic Reprints and any other coloured collected editions.  Many thanks to Tony Angelino, Colin YNWA, SIP and MaryandDavid for this idea.  I had no idea that these Eagle Comic reprints even existed.

Does anyone know if the case files will continue right up to the current 2000AD and Megazine stories eventually?  Also, have they got a new name now - Restricted Casefiles?

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 April, 2017, 08:58:02 PM

Everyone has had great recommendations already - I also suggest the Complete Case Files as the best way to read Dredd as you get the epics as well as many of the fantastic one offs in-between.

If you want more recent stuff, here is a list of  what I hear are some of the best Dredd stories in recent years that are collected in color:

•   Judge Dredd Tour of Duty: The backlash
•   Judge Dredd Tour of Duty: Mega-City Justice
•   Judge Dredd: Trifecta
•   Judge Dredd: Dark Justice
•   Judge Dredd: Dead Zone
•   Judge Dredd: Titan
•   Judge Dredd: Every Empire Falls

Thanks Rogue Judge!  Do you know if these stories will be collected in the case files too or would I need to get them seperately?

Hey JoFox, I am excited for you - so many great stories ahead of you, especially Case files 13 & 14 are great!  These stories will be collected in the case files eventually - I don't know how long but Im guessing well over a decade before they appear in the case files.

Also, the Restricted files are volumes that collect material from the annuals and specials and are color - I think there are 4 volumes.

Let us know how your reading goes and enjoy the thrill power.

positronic

Quote from: WhizzBang on 22 April, 2017, 05:12:07 PM
Quote from: positronic on 22 April, 2017, 04:50:36 PM
You don't need to have read Necropolis to read Judgement Day. It probably wasn't mentioned as it is not a very well regarded story.

Necropolis is a far far better story than Judgement Day but you should read the strips leading up to it (Case Files 13) as well as the Dead Man before reading Necropolis.

Thanks for the background. I only hesitated because there was some mention of the Mega City One mass dead lying in pits outlying the city, attributed to the events of Necropolis, which I gather is key to the setup of events that will transpire in Judgment Day (which takes place 2 years later, according to the timeline preceding the actual story in Judgment Day). So does Case Files 13 include Necropolis as well as the the stories leading into it, or are they separate? And you say Judgment Day isn't well-regarded by Dredd fans?

WhizzBang

Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 01:41:20 AM
Thanks for the background. I only hesitated because there was some mention of the Mega City One mass dead lying in pits outlying the city, attributed to the events of Necropolis, which I gather is key to the setup of events that will transpire in Judgment Day (which takes place 2 years later, according to the timeline preceding the actual story in Judgment Day). So does Case Files 13 include Necropolis as well as the the stories leading into it, or are they separate? And you say Judgment Day isn't well-regarded by Dredd fans?

CF13 is perhaps, not essential to Necropolis but it does have some build up towards it regarding Dredd's doubts about the system and also Cadet Giant who has a significant role in Necropolis. The Dead Man comes next and then it is CF14 which is entirely made up of Necropolis proper.

Take a look at Douglas Wolk's excellent Dredd Blog called Dredd Reckoning to get a fair view on Judgement Day: http://dreddreviews.blogspot.se/2012/02/complete-case-files-17.html

positronic

Quote from: WhizzBang on 23 April, 2017, 05:08:10 AM
Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 01:41:20 AM

CF13 is perhaps, not essential to Necropolis but it does have some build up towards it regarding Dredd's doubts about the system and also Cadet Giant who has a significant role in Necropolis. The Dead Man comes next and then it is CF14 which is entirely made up of Necropolis proper.

Take a look at Douglas Wolk's excellent Dredd Blog called Dredd Reckoning to get a fair view on Judgement Day: http://dreddreviews.blogspot.se/2012/02/complete-case-files-17.html

Thank you again. There's a bookmark'er for sure. I know of Douglas Wolk through his "Dredd's Comportment" text pages in IDW's Judge Dredd #1-22, which, if I am being completely honest, I will say is the best thing in those issues. If they had decided to reprint them all in a one-shot issue, I would have bought it again. Very illuminating regarding background details on the (original) series and various characters and themes in it.

fatalfish

I would definately like to see a complete Bix Barton

positronic

I have a question. Can anyone tell me what's in the MEGA CITY MASTERS collections? Not sure how many of those there were... at least 3 volumes, though. And are they in color?

I read the description of those but it's just so generic that all you can tell is that it's a Judge Dredd collection of various well-regarded creators. I presume that they must all be done-in-one-Prog stories or close to it, so they can fit in as many popular name artists and writers as possible in the collection.

IndigoPrime

Just to step in with something mentioned earlier, Dead Man is entirely b+w. So if the OP's reading this, it's probably a book to avoid. 

Quote from: positronic link=topic=44339.msg954119#msg954119 date=1492908080And you say Judgment Day isn't well-regarded by Dredd fans?/quote]
I imagine it has its fans, but they're relatively low in number. I remember there at the time being quite the surprise when Judgment Day was the first DC/Rebellion co-op Dredd trade (presumably decided on due to Ennis being the writer). For me, it's not the worst Dredd tale in the world by any stretch (and there have been inferior epics and multi-parters, such as the risible Inferno, and Book of the Dead), but it's just Dredd by the numbers, and with Ennis's SUPERHERO Dredd at the helm.

positronic

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 April, 2017, 09:59:23 AM
Just to step in with something mentioned earlier, Dead Man is entirely b+w. So if the OP's reading this, it's probably a book to avoid. 

Quote from: positronic link=topic=44339.msg954119#msg954119 date=1492908080And you say Judgment Day isn't well-regarded by Dredd fans?/quote]
I imagine it has its fans, but they're relatively low in number. I remember there at the time being quite the surprise when Judgment Day was the first DC/Rebellion co-op Dredd trade (presumably decided on due to Ennis being the writer). For me, it's not the worst Dredd tale in the world by any stretch (and there have been inferior epics and multi-parters, such as the risible Inferno, and Book of the Dead), but it's just Dredd by the numbers, and with Ennis's SUPERHERO Dredd at the helm.

If Ennis' Dredd stories are really that (relatively) unpopular with 2000 AD's readers, I wonder why they did another trade entitled Judge Dredd: The Garth Ennis Collection? Or is that one of those things aimed at grabbing the attention of the American fans of PREACHER and THE PUNISHER?

I was going to mention this when I asked about it earlier, but I forgot. The trade collection I have of Judgment Day is indeed the very DC Comics edition you cited. I think there were something like a couple dozen different DC/Rebellion trade co-productions, which were identical to the standard Rebellion edition with the exception of having different cover artwork and a small DC/Rebellion imprint icon on the cover. I got the impression in looking over the list of titles which were released that they were all selections from more-or-less contemporary Rebellion editions.

Almost more of a random selection of what was then in-print at Rebellion than any kind of real attempt at cherry-picking some "best of" selections to represent the various series, or to choose a good entry-point or something. I think the only of one of the classic characters they did that with was Strontium Dog: The Early Cases (which nevertheless omitted the earliest of the early SD stories from Starlord), and the first Bad Company collection. I think the only other Dredd collection besides Judgment Day was Judge Dredd vs. Judge Death (a fairly no-brainer choice). Then there was Shimura, which was re-released more recently by Rebellion under the title Hondo City Law (or at least, it appears to be mainly the same stories... not sure if it's completely identical).

IndigoPrime

There's a difference between things liked by core fandom and those that might attract a wider audience. Publishing tries to balance the two, usually tending towards the latter, although I'd argue Rebellion if anything cares at least as much about the core fans, given the trades we've got over the years. So Ennis is something of a no-brainer, given his reach outside of the UK, and also when you bear in mind that initial run of trades was done in collaboration with DC Comics.

And, yeah, that early selection was a bit scattergun, and you could feel that Rebellion felt a bit hemmed in, given that it also released its own line of hardbacks with more oddball characters lurking within. (I recall when that DC deal ended, and wondered what would happen next. Little did we all know at the time it was probably the best thing for everyone. Just looking at the trade line Rebellion's done in those years since is really quite the eye-opener.)