Main Menu

A question that drives me nuts!

Started by positronic, 15 April, 2017, 03:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

From the Swipe file thread... (including larger shot from the movie)

Quote from: Dash Decent on 10 January, 2016, 09:16:10 AM
MAD's Joe Friday begat Moore & Gibbon's Joe Saturday, who in turn inspired the forum's own Joe Soap.  Joe Soap currently uses a photo of Jack Webb as his avatar but his earlier avatar - from "Chronocops" - was immortalised in a certain film...

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richard

They're not really alpha rays, but Johnny Kreelman's grasp of particle physics might not have been very strong when he was a child and he had to choose a new surname on the spur of the moment. Now he's stuck with it.

There's an interview somewhere where Carlos says the helmet is meant to loom like a dog's head. It's easier to see in the earliest episodes from Starlord.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 April, 2017, 06:26:04 PM
Quote from: positronic on 17 April, 2017, 05:38:26 PM

I'm not sure if you meant to post a link to the original video or just a screen grab. I can see a billboard in the background there with a face and what looks like the word "soap" on it, but I can't make out the actual face or read the billboard.

Is it possible that this isn't the right frame, and there was one where the billboard could actually be read that you meant to grab?

It says "Joe Soap" and has the Dave Gibbons Chronocops image that Mr Soap used to use as his avatar.

What Jim said.

I didn't grab the screen myself; I just typed 'Joe Soap Dredd movie' into Google images.  A few of our number were featured in that film, IIRC - 'Goaty' was featured twice as a graffiti tag.

Also, thanks for explaining the connection, Dash.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

norton canes

OK, here's another Johnny Alpha-related question. Was a Strontium Dog annual ever given serious consideration in the 1980's?

Obviously the Judge Dredd annuals were a success and we eventually got a Rogue Trooper annual right at the end of the hardback-annual era, but what about other strips/characters? I know for instance that Robo-Hunter was second in popularity to Judge Dredd for a while, but there doesn't seem like nearly as much scope for a whole album of Robo-Hunter related material as there does for Johnny Alpha, Wulf, Middenface, Durham Red, the Gronks etc.

norton canes

Oh yeah and re. the helmet - I'm sure that if, like Judge Dredd, several artists had worked on Strontium Dog in its formative years then the shape of the helmet would have evolved into a different form that we see it in now. It's only because Carlos Ezquerra had years drawing it in a particular manner that the shape became so rigidly defined.

positronic

Quote from: Richard on 18 April, 2017, 02:40:09 PM
They're not really alpha rays, but Johnny Kreelman's grasp of particle physics might not have been very strong when he was a child and he had to choose a new surname on the spur of the moment. Now he's stuck with it.

There's an interview somewhere where Carlos says the helmet is meant to loom like a dog's head. It's easier to see in the earliest episodes from Starlord.

It's likely that all the references to Strontium-90 from radioactive fallout creating mutants who are now forced to make a living as "Strontium Dogs" are mistaken as well. It's probably just a cover story for a government secret project to perform genetic engineering experiments on human egg & sperm cells, which was eventually abandoned after years of random tinkering with hit-or-miss chromosome alterations, and failing to produce the desired ultimate super-soldier.