Main Menu

How did you first get into 2000ad?

Started by Michael Knight, 16 April, 2017, 07:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

For me it was my zarjaz Uncle Noel leaving me his progs when he visited us on trips over from Emerald Isle. I used to admire the artwork and think they were rather cool. I only really started getting the Prog and Meg regularly around 1993 and 1994.

Trooper McFad

My first read of 2000Ad was the 1980 Annual and hooked ever since. The annuals were great for a taster of all the great characters (I've now got them all - 2000Ad/Judge Dredd & a Rouge Trooper one) As for reading the progs I would go to the local book exchange and pick up as many back issues they had. Only thing was I usually didn't find the end of story lines  :'(. I now just get the collected novels as it saves on space and I can read the story right through.

All happy times  :)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

We've done this a couple of times since I've been here, but its always good fun and there's lots of new faces about so good to dust this one off.

1 - 90ish (I think) my brother got the first issue and added it to his comics order. Something else will then have come along to take its slot (I have a feeling he might have started to get Battle? All mists of time now alas). I remember looking at the pictures endlessly. Particularly Flesh.

210(ish) - 290(ish) = 2000ad appeared back on my brother's comics list (parents got us 2 comics each a week to encourage reading I imagine). Again just loved it. For whatever reason it fell off his list. This time I think for either White Dwarf and/or Imagine or the like. By this time my brother was leading me away from the Galaxy's Greatest down the dark path of role playing.

431 - 1018 = this was the big one for me. Away on holiday for whatever reason I got an issue of 2000ad (between this and the previous stint I'd read Simon Gafakins across the roads issue for a good chunk of the 300s, I think RPGing had him interest in Slaine) can't remember the reason but this issue hooked me. I got the 85 Sci-Fi special and as luck would have it that had an advert for Forbidden Planet in that there London and the second week of our holiday was in ... that there London. One trip to the British Museum later and I had a load of back issues - well it felt like loads at the time it was actually around 15 of the previous issues with a couple of gaps.

I feel in love. I hit comics in a big way and it felt like it would last for ever...

... then drinking... and Uni and what not and slowly I fell by the wayside. I lost my way....

1505 - to date ...until I saw some press for the 30th. I was starting to slowly get back into comics as more disposible income came my way and brooze and ... well ... what not... was becoming less practical if I'm honest. Thought I'd give it a try and I've never looked back.

I have no idea how accurate the first bits of that are but there's certainly how I remember it. I've had a rocky on off relationship with Tharg. But bless him he always finds a way to drag me back in... this time I think he has me for good.

The Adventurer

DC deal with Humanoids and 2000 AD. I was obsesvive about non-Marvel/DC comics, and especially Euro Comics around 2004 (Crossgen was dead, and I was desperate for anything sci-fi/fantasy related in comics). The Incal and The Technopriests lead me to Robo-Hunter and Nikolia Dante. I did some research as to just where these latter two series came from. learned the basics of 2000 AD history. Found a bunch of then recent back issues moldering at the back of the comic shop (probably ordered when the DC deal happened), found the Extreme Edition, and road the wave of Rebellion published 2000 AD reprints that came out of the failures of the DC deal.

It was a good time to be a newbie.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

EDazzling

The Extreme Edition reprint of Revere was my first 2000ad experience. I don't think much more needs to be said...

The Adventurer

Quote from: EDazzling on 17 April, 2017, 01:04:14 AM
The Extreme Edition reprint of Revere was my first 2000ad experience. I don't think much more needs to be said...

Similarly, mine was Firekind. Yeah, that was a good'n

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JoFox2108

For me it was when the Dredd 2012 film went out on TV some time in 2015 / 2016.

Up until then I'd been reading Star Wars comics but in 2015 they went from Dark Horse to Marvel and although I still read them they kind of lost their spark.  It was like the stories were being told by a committee rather than an author after that.  So I was looking for something new.  I saw the Dredd 2012 movie and was totally blown away by it.  I thought then, and still think now, that it was the best comic film of all time.  So I bought some Dredd books from the Mega Collection and found that I loved it.  As I collected more the Marvel Star Wars stuff seemed tame and predictable by comparison and eventually I stopped those subscriptions and tried 2000AD. 
It was a revelation!  There was so much that I liked so much more than the American stuff. 

I loved the British humour and subtext in the strip's.  Being from here and reading a home grown comic is a really different experience.

I loved the subversive attitude.  I've always been someone who naturally follows the rules (I have a mild form of autism) which is OK so long as the people making the rules are fair and decent.  But 2000AD shows me a way of standing up against the stuff that's wrong even if it's people in authority who are doing it. I never thought I could learn stuff like that from a comic!

I loved the way the heroes are not all shiny, 25 year old, super fit and beautiful people.  It's such a joy to find strip's like Robo-Hunter with a guy like Sam Slade starring in it.

Most of all I loved the pure genius creativity in the comic.  You can't get that anywhere else.

QuoteIt's all a deep end.

SpongeJosh

I got into 2000ad and everything attached to it through an internet search for "Cyberpunk cities". Mega-city one came up No.1 on a poll, turns out it was Dredd's patch so took a leap of faith in 2009 and got Case Files 1 and then it steamrolled from there but I started with Meg #300, didn't start getting the Prog till #1959.

norton canes

JayzusB.Christ

I was very, very young, about 5 or 6, and my older brother bought it.  I read his and bought Nutty comics instead.  Eventually he gave up when I was about 13 and he was 14, and about a year later I started collecting them myself (also slowly plugging the back-issue gaps as I went).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

positronic

I'm an American reader, and started with the Titan Books graphic album collections, beginning in the early 1980s. After that, the Eagle Comics color reprints in the standard American comic size, and the Quality Comics that followed them (the production of which was originally overseen by Dez Skinn, before being handed over to Sal Quartuccio Productions). With the changeover to SQP-produced reprints, "Quality" took a nosedive, and I dropped them. Also during this time, I'd buy the 2000 AD and Judge Dredd hardcover Annuals when I was lucky enough to find them.

Titan Books lost the reprint license sometime around the beginning of the 1990s, and after that my reading of 2000 AD characters was limited to the American crossover co-productions with DC Comics and Dark Horse Comics.

Then in the new millenium, IDW got a new reprint license for Dredd (and Rogue Trooper), and I began buying those mainly for the color stories (Apocalypse War, Dark Judges, and Rogue Trooper Classics). When they did large deluxe hardcover reprints of the best of Judge Dredd artists in black and white, I got those too. I have to admit that most of the original IDW material isn't all that good, except for a few of the miniseries, but it got me back into reading the 2000 AD characters, and I began picking up some of the Rebellion trade hardcover and softcover collections. Now I'm trying to catch up on the collections of older stories for several of my favorite 2000 AD series.

Rogue Judge

I saw the 2012 Dredd film over a year ago --> was curious and after some research purchased Case Files #2 --> Dredd quickly became by favorite comic and I began purchasing all case files --> I have since gone a little crazy and have purchased...almost everything 2000AD I can! --> (Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper and Kingdom/Button Man are my favorites so far)

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 25 April, 2017, 03:46:01 PM
I have to admit that most of the original IDW material isn't all that good, except for a few of the miniseries

That's a pretty common opinion round these parts ;-)

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 25 April, 2017, 07:48:07 PM
Quote from: positronic on 25 April, 2017, 03:46:01 PM
I have to admit that most of the original IDW material isn't all that good, except for a few of the miniseries

That's a pretty common opinion round these parts ;-)

IDW should probably stick to the miniseries instead of trying to maintain a longer ongoing series. The good ones in my opinion:
MARS ATTACKS JUDGE DREDD
JUDGE DREDD YEAR ONE
JUDGE DREDD MEGA-CITY TWO: CITY OF COURTS
JUDGE ANDERSON
JUDGE DREDD DEVIATIONS: CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (one-shot) - a "What If.. ?" story by any other name

Fungus

Pick of the bunch for me was the short-lived Rogue Trooper series.
And City of Courts hurt my eyes - I found it unreadable  :(
IDW are a frustrating, hard to fathom publisher...