Main Menu

Hive mind help needed: eBaying comics

Started by Jim_Campbell, 18 April, 2017, 12:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Short version: due to the very generous comp copy policy of some publishers, I've found myself with enough boxes of comics to stock a small shop and I can no longer get to my drawing desk.

I figure I'll keep one copy of everything and eBay the rest, but I'm a bit of an eBay novice. Obviously, the TPBs are easy enough, but would I better off offering mini-series as bundles of the complete run, or as singles?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Personally I'd say go for them in runs rather than singles.  Easier to manage dispatch and less likely to end up with the odd awkward mid run issue.  Leave that problem to potential buyers  ;-)

IndigoPrime

Singles are easier to sell, but a PITA. Series need to be priced low enough for people to bother with. I'd recommend listing everything here first though. I offloaded about half my for sale collection on this forum. The prices were low-ball, to some extent, but then I didn't have to deal with the horror of eBay.

I, Cosh

What they said. Break into series or recognisable arcs/runs. Listing single issues is only really worth it if the issue itself is significant. Also, creating 875 individual listings is an absolute ballache, so narrow the stock down first.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Thank you, gentlemen — much appreciated. I was leaning towards bundles but didn't know if I was making it impossible to sell the things. Given that they're freebies, anything I make over postage is pretty much free money so I can price them fairly attractively.

JamesC

Don't forget to offer local pick up as an option.
If people want to buy a few bundles, postage costs can rack up quickly. Local pick up can be a good incentive for local buyers (or even people with friends/relatives near you) to spend more on the comics.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 18 April, 2017, 02:17:54 PM
Local pick up can be a good incentive for local buyers (or even people with friends/relatives near you) to spend more on the comics.

But then people would come to my house and I'd have to put on trousers. If I wanted to have to put on trousers, I wouldn't be a freelancer.

Tjm86

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JamesC on 18 April, 2017, 02:17:54 PM
Don't forget to offer local pick up as an option.
If people want to buy a few bundles, postage costs can rack up quickly. Local pick up can be a good incentive for local buyers (or even people with friends/relatives near you) to spend more on the comics.
Although only offering that, rather than mandating it. People never do well when they only do local pick-up. (That's how I got a set of that Marvel partwork for naff-all.)

But, really, Jim: classifieds here first is the best bet.

maryanddavid

I'd be interested in seeing a list too!

Tony Angelino

I've been selling some of my old (and some more recent) comics on ebay and I think putting a run or limited series up is more likely to sell than single issues for US comics. They may buy the run for one particular issue but if you sell them individually you could be left with a lot of issues that no one wants. 

Speaking of which the Marvel Ultimate Universe comics must be the most unwanted comics ever. I couldn't give them away. Probably down to Bendis taking 25 issues to tell a story other writers might tell in 1.

IndigoPrime

I found Ultimate trades hard to shift. Mind you, horses for courses, I suppose. Comes down to luck of the draw – who sees adverts and such-like. After I sold all my trades on here, people were clamouring for some of the stuff I'd sold and that'd been up on my ad for nearly a year!

Speaking of, time to refresh my ad here, too, I think...

Colin YNWA

Not much to add to what's been said. I've always sold in bundles unless they are particularly valuable individual issues (not many are these days).

I've not sold for a good couple of years now and often you read that building postage into your price so in the listing its 'Free postage' is a good way to go. It also stops you looking greedy of you under estimate postage (it does happen!). True to say however I've never done this and done okay. I've always been honest with postage and tried to keep it down as best I can, while not skimping on wrapping things well.

The other thing I can offer is there used to be offers for free listing, or not paying unless you sell. Might be worth looking around to see what stuff like that you can still get.

Oh and of course PayPal.

Echidna

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 April, 2017, 08:57:02 PM
often you read that building postage into your price so in the listing its 'Free postage' is a good way to go. It also stops you looking greedy of you under estimate postage (it does happen!).

I think I'm going to switch to free postage in future, at least for Buy It Now listings where I can set the price and factor in the cost of stamps - I had been offering combined postage to promote multiple purchases, but it only came up once or twice. Plus, like Colin said, free postage means you don't have to worry about accidentally overcharging p&p.

The other thing I can offer is there used to be offers for free listing, or not paying unless you sell. Might be worth looking around to see what stuff like that you can still get.

eBay let you list a number of items for free each month (I think the number depends on your past performance) so unless you're listing an enormous amount you won't have to pay for anything that doesn't sell. They also do fairly regular offers like 50% off selling fees or £1 max fees - again, the numbers probably depend on your selling performance. Any available offers should appear at the bottom of your Selling page.

Also, as a reluctant trouser-wearer, I envy your trouser-free existence. Keep living the dream.

Tjm86

I switched to free postage on my eBay activities when it became clear that eBay now take a cut of any p&p fees as well.  Ostensibly to cut down on those who gouge with the postage costs but then they set costs  at such a low rate that it isn't worth the bother.  Also one more reason why I've cut back from using the bar stewards.