Main Menu

Do the Rogue trooper tales of Nu earth....

Started by marko10174, 19 April, 2017, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 02:50:00 PM
So what exactly was that bit where Rogue met Venus in her spirit form (prior to this her death was merely presumed by him) during his time as a galactic assassin, and she confirmed that she had died? (progs 568-572)

Just an alien hologram, taking a convenient form.

positronic

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 April, 2017, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 02:50:00 PM
So what exactly was that bit where Rogue met Venus in her spirit form (prior to this her death was merely presumed by him) during his time as a galactic assassin, and she confirmed that she had died? (progs 568-572)

Just an alien hologram, taking a convenient form.

Ah, okay. Thanks, Greg. I was wondering if that had just been overlooked or ignored when Venus was revealed to have survived after all.

AlexF

On no account should anyone ever reprint the Michael Fleischer Fr1day stories. Or even re-read them.
They're kind of bearable if you stumble across them in back prog and just read a 5-page epsiode. It's incoherent but often delightfully violent. Reading it all in one go and attempting to make sense of it is a punishment from Grud.

To answer the original question, I believe the current collection called 'War Machine' does actually include a couple of Fleisher's one-off Fr1day episodes from the Rogue Trooper Annual. They give a flavour of the incoherence and violence, but are not offensively bad.

To be fair to Fleisher, the original War Machine story kind of brings Fr1day's tale to an end - it's not at all clear what kind of story would drive that character after he's met his maker and learned not only the War is Hell, but is also ultimately pointless.

positronic

I haven't read that since its first American printing in HEAVY METAL (and subsequent re-reprinting as a hardcover graphic novel under the War Machine title). It was a long time ago. Guess I'll have to put that into the re-read stack. I don't think it includes anything beyond the Gibbons-written original story arc, but I doubt if I can justify buying another reprinting.