Main Menu

Do the Rogue trooper tales of Nu earth....

Started by marko10174, 19 April, 2017, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

Books contain any of Friday's stories? I own the first volume, I'm really going to have start collecting the other volumes. The reason I ask about Friday's stories is because I read his stories first when I was a kid. I remember Rogue and bagman actually get killed trying to help Friday. Thanks chaps.

IndigoPrime

Nope. The first three volumes IIRC complete the original run. The fourth begins with the John Smith tale Cinnabar, before using (IIRC) Remembrance Day as a framing device for the Gordon Rennie run. As far as I recall, only War Machine (Gibbons/Simpson) has seen trade reprint from the Fr1day strips, by way of Kitchen Sink Press in 1999 and then Rebellion a few years back. The latter's still generally available (it's on Wordery for 12 quid), and I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see it in the 2000 AD partwork if that goes ahead.

EDazzling

Yeah, IP's right, no Friday in ToNE.

Aside from The War Machine paperback, there's the Judge Dredd/Friday story somewhere in the Case Files and there was a run of Megazine Floppy Reprints from #291-293 that reprinted:

#291:
Enfleshings (2000AD Yearbook 1993)
Script: John Smith, Artist: Chris Weston

#292:
The War Machine Part 1 (Progs 650 to 653)
Script: Dave Gibbons, Artist: Will Simpson

The War Machine Part 2 (Progs 667 to 671)

Hollow Town (2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1991)
Script: John Smith, Artist: Simon Coleby

#293:
The War Machine Part 3 (Progs 683 to 687)

Hill 392 (Poster Prog Rogue Trooper 1)
Script: Steve White, Artist: Chris Weston, Colour: Gina Hart, Letters: Ellie De Ville

G.I. Blues (Progs 901 to 903)
Script: Mark Millar (1), Steve White (2-3), Artist: Chris Weston, Colour: Gina Hart

marko10174

Hmm, I guessing friday wasn't too popular? the rogue trooper timeline does seem to appear to be all over the place. I'll just stick to getting the rest of the tales of nu earth.

sheridan

Quote from: marko10174 on 21 April, 2017, 04:03:21 PM

Hmm, I guessing friday wasn't too popular? the rogue trooper timeline does seem to appear to be all over the place. I'll just stick to getting the rest of the tales of nu earth.

Hahahaha.  Understatement!

Though War Machine was good.

IndigoPrime

Mm. Original Rogue was, to my mind, pretty variable stuff anyway, but the reboot was mostly poor. War Machine was good – a perfectly decent retelling in keeping with the comics of the age, and with some lovely grimy Will Simpson art. But the second Gibbons was off of script duties, it all fell apart, with uninspired Michael Fleisher storyline after uninspired Michael Fleisher storyline. There were a few good moments, but most of those were down to John Smith scripts set in a Nu-Earth far crazier and more surreal than any other.

Before long, the continuity unwisely collided with 'classic' Rogue Trooper, creating a mess that banged on for years, with some fairly action-packed Steve White scripts (and fun art by a range of people, including some early henry Flint), but it all felt fairly pointless. The ending didn't feel especially satisfying, and then we got another blue guy in Mercy Heights, Tor Cyan. His strips were a lot better, in part through some gorgeous art by Kevin Walker, Colin Wilson and Jock (see JDM floppies 316–318 for Tor solo, and 313–316 for Mercy Heights).

I can't imagine there's much call for any of this stuff to see proper reprint, hence bits of it showing up in the floppies. If that 2000 AD collection happens, I hope the only Fr1day we see again is War Machine.

JudgeJudi

Rough stab:

Rogue Trooper (original series) <<>>> 86ers (about the same time?)
Jaegir <<<<>>>> maybe Friday series
Mercy Heights
Tor Cyan

sheridan

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 22 April, 2017, 02:45:29 PM

Rough stab:

Mercy Heights
Tor Cyan

Maybe, except proper Rogue and Jaegir are contemporary.

JudgeJudi

Quote from: sheridan on 22 April, 2017, 09:13:09 PM

Rough stab:

Mercy Heights
Tor Cyan

Maybe, except proper Rogue and Jaegir are contemporary.

I thought that her time in the war (and when we see here as young woman in that recent Traitor General story) pre-dates the main Jaegir story? Although that doesn't mean Rogue isn't still fighting on Nu-Earth (and before he goes to work for the aliens).

positronic

Quote from: marko10174 on 19 April, 2017, 12:58:05 PM

Books contain any of Friday's stories? I own the first volume, I'm really going to have start collecting the other volumes. The reason I ask about Friday's stories is because I read his stories first when I was a kid. I remember Rogue and bagman actually get killed trying to help Friday. Thanks chaps.

Yeah, I guess 2000 AD readers really wanted the original Rogue back, so Friday's adventures eventually ended and the original Rogue Trooper returned. If you want to try tracking down the Friday stories, there's a bibliography on Friday's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_(2000_AD)

On a related continuity note, have the return of Rogue Trooper (post-Friday progs) been collected, and what are the titles of those? Is the first one the Realpolitik collection from 2007? Or is that the ONLY one?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 09:02:04 AM
On a related continuity note, have the return of Rogue Trooper (post-Friday progs) been collected, and what are the titles of those? Is the first one the Realpolitik collection from 2007? Or is that the ONLY one?

All the Realpolitik stuff plus a few extra stories is collected in ToNE 4 phonebook.
@jamesfeistdraws

positronic

Rough stab:

Mercy Heights
Tor Cyan

Since you're bringing up the spinoff characters, what exactly happened with Venus Bluegenes? She died in one of the early progs (318-322), then her ghost met up with Rogue when he was working as a galactic assassin, but then a long time later, she's in some of the Friday stories as well (progs from early 900s to early 1000s)? I know she had a few of her own short stories but I presume that's no problem because they can be set in the past before she died.

positronic

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 April, 2017, 09:11:14 AM
Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 09:02:04 AM

All the Realpolitik stuff plus a few extra stories is collected in ToNE 4 phonebook.

Guess that makes everything pretty simple! Thanks, DJ!

Greg M.

Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 09:19:40 AM
Since you're bringing up the spinoff characters, what exactly happened with Venus Bluegenes?

Turned out she didn't die – a Grant Morrison story in the 1988 sci-fi special revealed how she'd survived. (Basically, she was rescued by some corporation just before she was killed.) Last seen flying into a black hole with Friday.

positronic

Quote from: Greg M. on 24 April, 2017, 11:40:48 AM
Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 09:19:40 AM
Since you're bringing up the spinoff characters, what exactly happened with Venus Bluegenes?

Turned out she didn't die – a Grant Morrison story in the 1988 sci-fi special revealed how she'd survived. (Basically, she was rescued by some corporation just before she was killed.) Last seen flying into a black hole with Friday.

So what exactly was that bit where Rogue met Venus in her spirit form (prior to this her death was merely presumed by him) during his time as a galactic assassin, and she confirmed that she had died? (progs 568-572)