Main Menu

'That' film is in a new box-set.

Started by Bolt-01, 01 November, 2003, 04:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VampiraJen

have just seen daredevil movie and am in two minds about it (please note that i have only ever read one daredevil comic).  on the one hand some of the fights were kind of cool, and daredevil doing his whole swinging through the buildings was kinda cool.  stan lee's cameo was not in the least bit annoying...but i just found the story to be really weak...they love each other after having a fight and chatting in the pissing rain?  and what about the kingpin???  if i'd never read a spiderman comic in my life i'd have zero insight into the character...he was in -what?- four scenes...?  that bullseye guy...what was his deal?

visually cool (i can look past all that leather) but the story i found to pe pish.........

Mr D

My problem with Ghost World was I hated the book, then hated the film....

I don't get people saying X-Men felt like a trailer for X-Men 2 etc... I thought it stood really well on it's own, and it was a good apaption. Daredevil is pretty fun, flawed but fun. The commentary on the DVD shows just how much thought went into the movie.

The Crow rocked!!

VampiraJen

I don't get people saying X-Men felt like a trailer for X-Men 2 etc... I thought it stood really well on it's own, and it was a good apaption.

i would go so far as to say that x1 was better than x2.  my dad, who thinks he's an authority on x-men despite the fact he hasn't read it since 1968 says the first one is shit.  yes, x2 has a better story and is a bigger film, with special effects and cool bamfing, but i thought x1 got to the core of what the x-men is all about, and that's what i'm looking for in these movies.

Floyd-the-k

Stan Lee had a cameo in Daredevil? Where?
 Damn, that`s two Stan Lee cameo`s I`ve missed. Hi superpower seems to be being invisible in cameos.

yours not in tights

Floyd

ps The main effect of Daredevil on my family was that my son spent a bit of time trying to submerge himself in the bath so he could `sleep like Daredevil`

Bico

Stan was the old guy that the young Matt Murdock stopped from stepping out in front of a passing truck, during the origin section of the movie.
It's kind of reassuring to see Stan the man in these movies nowadays, like a seal of approval.
Although he was in Hulk, too, and that was hooerishly bad.

Bico

Stan was the old guy that the young Matt Murdock stopped from stepping out in front of a passing truck, during the origin section of the movie.
It's kind of reassuring to see Stan the man in these movies nowadays, like a seal of approval.
Although he was in Hulk, too, and that was hooerishly bad.

Bico

Slippery PD

Strangely I watched DD the movie on Saurday and although it wasnt great.  Its perfectly watchable and its one of the few films Ben Awful is too awful in.  As a caveat Ive only ever red a half dozen DD comics.

I think Ive stated before that x-men is one of the worst movies Ive ever seen.  The plot is like something from the 1950's.  I mean deus ex machina device that kills everyone, I thought comics had moved on....  Ive seen the film 2 or 3 times and I dont think I can watch it again.  X2 on the other hand I can watch repeatedly.  So go figure..

Slips

VampiraJen

is stan lee in x2, coz i'v never spotted him.....

ESCUBRIA

The problem with Daredevil is it's about 90 minutes too short and becomes completely ludicrous in the middle. With all the story they were trying to tell they copped out and left out most of the content. Started well, ended badly, made you feel like nothing happened at all.

I almost thought it was going to be a better version of Batman.

Guy Pearse was the original choice for DD but turned it down.

The problem with Judge Dredd is it's 2 hours too long, the most miserable day in cinema history for me.

JayzusB.Christ

I thought Daredevil was painfully predictable; apart from Electra's death. Colin Farrell was good though. Anyone here from Ireland, however, knows he's from the poshest part of Dublin and learned his 'rough-and-ready-Northsider' accent somewhere in Hollywood. Is Bullseye really meant to be Irish, by the way? Never really read the comics.
I was impressed by Spiderman 2, though. Never saw Spiderman 1, but I read the comics as a kid. Jonah Jameson was excellent in the film.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

[YT-2]

>Jonah Jameson was excellent in the film.

In S-M 1 & 2 JJJ steals every scene he appears in.

[YT-2]

ESCUBRIA

I wouldn't call Castleknock the poshest part of Dublin, it's a nice area yeah, but it's not that posh and it's on the Northside; if you want posh go to Donnybroook, Foxrock or Killiney, some people don't even have Irish accents at all there but upper class Anglo ones or the dreaded Dartline drawl -which seems to be everywhere these days. The Bastards.

Tordelbach

"the dreaded Dartline drawl"

That'd be the same posh-as-fuck Dart that stops in Kilbarrick?  Plenty of regular folks on the Dart, dontchano.  And penty of posh folks in Castleknock too.  

Killiney and Foxrock, I'll give you, no contest. The big question is, to what extent are all these accents deliberately affected, and to what extent are they legitimately inherited?  Is it reasonable to expect someone from the lush-suburbia end of Rathfarnham to naturally speak the same way as someone from the Liberties?  Is it better that they consciously adopt a (a la Farrell) a Barrytown brogue?  Are we just practicisng reverse-snobbery here?  And what the fuck am I doing prattling on about this on the 2000AD board?

Bico

Ah, what the hell, Tordelbach, anything that sticks the boot into a Dub is good, clean, honest fun anywhere.
And anyway, it's not like Farrel doesn't deserve it.  I watched that Veronica Guerin (a hysterically bad film) the other day, and his accent seemed to have changed in that, and it was set in Dublin, too.  I think most of his brogue is an affectation.
Nowt wrong wi' that, mind.  If thick yanks want to throw money at him to put on a silly voice, that's THEIR problem, and he'd have to be bloody daft to correct them at this stage of the game.