Main Menu

latest Prog

Started by Anemic_Newt, 14 March, 2002, 02:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anemic_Newt

Cover - muddy, dull, boring, didn't make me want to read inside.. and its Atavar :(

Judge Dredd - really liked this yet another sequel to some old stories. Is Wagner clearing out what he thinks is unfinished business, or being lazy - use old ideas repeat until others hate them - however it works for me... continues next week

Attavar - a bit more explanation but after two issues I know about as much as I did about Shakara

Sinister Dexter - strange art here. The duo were in the background for this one. A slight change from the normal Sinister Dexter story of get contact, go kill, say Funt a lot, kill, end.

Dante - like this a lot at the moment. Lots of development. Ocean's Eleven anyone?

Terror tales - predictable filler. I see it has a vote so far of around 5 but really didn't like this. Art was nice though but just didn't like the story. Come on peeps - vote lower!

Overall an average prog with a very good Dredd - I guess others will disagree with me but I like these morons. They make me feel clever!

callmeberty

I also enjoyed Dredd this week... But unless there is some major supercool plot development next week - I hardly see wqhy this story couldn't just be wrapped up in one prog...

I tend to get ver disapointed when the twist in the one off stories (Terror Tales, Future Shocks) have pretty predictable endings... I was disapointed by this one - but I agree the art was really good! But I don't like it when the noises of someone eating are written down in speach bubbles - it reminds me too much of the Beano!

I preffered last Prog's TT - very dark!

Avataar has failed to grip meall together... but I expect it will pick up... I just wouldn't comment on it yet...

2000AD Online

Constantly being made to feel clever must be almost as good as actually being clever!  I have to disagree somewhat.
 The Dredd was cool, S+D was fun.  Atavar is just too early to tell.  It looks good, but so did Storming Heaven, which turned out to be terrible.  I suppose others will disagree with me, but that's life and doesn't impinge on my cleverness or otherwise at all (pause to push glasses up to top of nose).
     Still, isn't it good Storming Heaven is over?

yours until they bring back the Balls Bros

floyd Kermode

Fortysixter

Storming heaven and the other surreal thing that was running recently ( I thought it so naff i can't remember the name, it ran in around the last 10 issues and featured a vengeful robot) were both...odd...in a sucky kinda way, I'm hoping for another life altering JD epic ( thats life altering in JDs world not mine)and as far as I can see, Nikolai Dante rocks so thats a plus & as far as Avatar is concerned, it looks like Hellblazer by DC.The jury's out on that one. 2KAD has its down turns, it must be hard to produce 52 stonkingingly good issues a year, so for the most part 2KAD does its best. Even the JD megazine runs 50% re-prints, which, when you own every issue of 2KAD is a bit of a drag, as I've seen it all before, I was actually re-reading the early 2KADs when they reprinted Flesh. And I had just read it all once !  Mind you, as far as reprints go, a FULL colour rendition of the first Dan Dare story would be very cool, they could really make the BIOGS look nasty with new colouring techniques, great stuff. I think the only way to justify reprints is to put them all in colou. Anyway, I've strayed from the subject, so there you go

paulvonscott

Enjoyed Dredd.  I'd missed the other storeis but it looks fun.  I suspect that Wagner may be tying up some old favourites of his and I think he's doing it in 3's.  3 bella bagley Stories, 3 moron stories.  A good way to do it.  Doesn't take the cahracters beyond their lifespan but gives them a bit more of a run appropriate to their poularity.  3 is a nice number too.

Didn't bother with SinDex, I was escaping on holiday (I'm just having a BRIEF keyboard tapping) so there wasn't time for something I have no hopes for.

REALLY REALLY enjoyed Nikolai Dante, I have read very little ND, read the graphic novel which I thought was a good start, but I've been dissapointed or uninterested in the other few bits I've seen.  This is now getting me quite excited though.  Loved the Tarabtula bloke.  Any ideas why I might be enjoying this more than most, Dante fans?  It's got me puzzled.

I think it's unfair to say that Avatar makes as little sense as Shakara.  It may be revealing it's secrets slowly, but it is revealing them.  Not just waiting to the end and then telling you a little secret.  Could be fun, the basic premise sounds v. dodgy and too much swearing, but okay.

FS - I have a weak stomach when it comes to food so I really didn't like it.  I hated it from the moment I saw the kebab van.  Not really a comment on the script and the art, just dodgy food stories.

I wasn't expecting anything from this prog, but I enjoyed Dante and Dredd and so it fills my two 'enjoyable' strip allowence.  I shall buy it again next week.

Tharg may now get up off his green knees, the praying may stop, he has his 47p proft from next weeks PVS bought prog.

paulvonscott

Oh and three stories about that fictional character that was in prog 2002.  

This weeks post was brought to you by the number three and the letter W.

rius

I actually read Atavar first, just to find out what the hell it was about and whether there'd be any English dialogue this week. We'll have to see how it pans out. It's hard to use such devices when you've only got 5 pages in a weekly to play with. US graphic novels do the same thing over a longer spread but then have the benefit of all the explanation attached right there...

Nikolai Dante - in my opinion no-one but Simon Fraser should draw this, and the colouring's great too. Always enjoy his Dante. (John Burns' run on Tsar Wars really ruined a potentially great book for me.)

Oh, and another vote for more Kev Walker drawn Balls Brothers, thank you.

wrighty47

Pretty much enjoyed this week's Prog. Not great, but not bad either. Decent Dredd, thought Atavar was good (tho wasn't keen after part 1 so we'll have to see where it goes), Good Sin Dex (nice to see a different perspective), Obvious but fun Terror Tales, Excellent Dante, someone mentioned Ocean's Eleven, but I just marvelled at supporting villains who it looks to me were modelled on The Spider, Catwoman, Janus Stark and a Crusher Creel/Thor warrior hybrid.

Alan! - obviously the boards sole Warlord fan :)

Wood

wrighty47

Janus Stark did indeed appear in Valiant (iirc). The Spider however appeared in Lion during the 60's. Reprinted in Vulcan during the 70's (tho I couldn't say if any were printed in Valiant or not) and has been seen of late in Paul Grist's wonderful Jack Staff comic.

Alan!