Main Menu

NICK BERG

Started by -=>DEMONIZER<=-, 12 May, 2004, 07:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

I have just seen harrowing footage of the apparent murder of American Nick Berg by Iraqis.

This subject has been hotly discussed today on radio (and probably TV) - the issue of mistreatment of Iraqi POWs is supposedly the reason for the beheading.

This should intensify the outrage over the media "exposure" of some coalition troops' behaviour in the warzone (I wonder how Piers is feeling this morning?).

I would like to cast doubt over the authenticity of the footage I have just seen:-

As with most supposedly genuine murder/snuff footage, when it comes down to the act itself the - forgive me for a moment - "action" is interrupted with camera-shakes/zooms where disguised cuts & edits could be made (i.e. to allow the substitution of a man for a dummy).

Could a man's head be cut off with a large knife in a matter of seconds?

The on-screen video-timer also jumps about 10 minutes just before the killing.

I am probably wrong on this one - the footage is somewhat (intentionally?) blurry - but these things and others about it do not sit right.

American propaganda to counter these allegations and stop any further exposure...?

Max Kon

maybe the news people cut it to remove the most grusom parts

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

It has certainly happened before with some notorious footage Max (and in doing so creates suspicion).

But in this case, although the whole film does not run unedited (between Nick's identification and his later re-positioning in front of his murderers) it would not make sense to remove a second where he is pushed to the floor and leave intact the actual "sawing" of his neck (i.e. the most gruesome part of the film).

Quirkafleeg

RC, The Barry Norman of Snuff Video

Grow up, you child.

Can we have this thread nuked Wake? it no exactly a great reflection on the site.

Matt

"but these things and others about it do not sit right."

You've seen many genuine beheadings then to compare and contrast? How exactly would this 'sit right'. I'm a video editor myself and my job has lead me to work in lots of areas. More disturbingly as an expert witness on video for child abuse cases. Believe me sick, evil bastards don't give a toss about lighting conditions, composition and continuity. As far as this particular video is concerned the fuzziness is down to high compression and the use of a digital zoom. There is nothing I have seen so far to suggest this isn't real. It's your conspiracy theories that 'don't sit right'.

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

What strange input.

On what grounds do you want the censorship of my thread?

Serious issues deserve serious attention - if you do not have the observational capacity for relevant comment, please stay away.

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

If you can wave away the high compression and digital zooming, then what about the jump in time factor? What about the fact that these occur RIGHT BEFORE THE KILLING COMMENCES?

I have observed many videos of real-life atrocities in the nature of my work, and have studied the history of Mondo film at university.

Footage passed off as "real" can be scrutinised by the trained eye to expose inconsistencies and sometimes glaring manipulation which would pass the casual observer by (often moreso if the theme is particularly "hard-to-watch").

I can give many, many examples of footage pretending to depict real-life murders and mutilations which are staged and utterly false - although that same footage may remain true and atrocious in the eyes of casual viewers. Strong opinions are then formed.

That "sick, evil bastards don't give a toss about lighting conditions, composition and continuity" is neither here nor there - I am suggesting the film might not have been made by sick, evil bastards, but by propaganda stagers who WOULD give a toss about lighting conditions, composition and continuity.

I'm not saying this is the case, but there is enough evidence to suggest it might be.

Wils

What about the fact that these occur RIGHT BEFORE THE KILLING COMMENCES?

You mean you actually wanted to *see* him have his head cut off?

Freak.

House of Usher

So you're suggesting that this guy wasn't killed by Iraqi's at all, and that he's actually alive somewhere, and that all the footage was shot by an American propaganda machine to draw attention away from attrocities committed by American troops in Iraq? Sounds like conspiracy theory balls to me.
STRIKE !!!

Matt

"You mean you actually wanted to *see* him have his head cut off?"

My sentiments exactly. What sort of individual not only goes looking for this material but then takes pride in the number of atrocities he's witnessed on video. You can dress it up as academia but it's more likely morbid fascination. I suppose you never spared a moment for the poor guy who just had his head hacked off or for his family who'll have to live with this everyday whilst you indulge yourself in conspiracy theories. Watching a few dodgy italian mondo movies does not make you an expert.

swavesey

This is nuts. The footage is clearly real due to the appearance of a named person. The real concern here is how the media is going to use this in order to support the genocide and human rights abuses carried out under the Bush administration. One dead man on camera does not make up for the millions killed by trade sanctions and the thousands already killed by America during the latest invasion.The problem is that these filmed images are far more emotive than the hushed-up statistics reported of Iraqi deaths.

Dunk!

Nick Berg's headless body was found dumped by a roadside on Saturday.

Coincidence?

The makers of the video just got lucky guessing the way he?d eventually die?

Or they had the will to do the deed later but just faked it for the camera?

Give the poor man some dignity that the video has robbed him of and let him lie in peace rather than become fuel for conspiracy nutcases.
"Trust we"

GordonR

I think someone's true colours are showing on this thread.

Mr D

This has nothing to do with anything, but I hope Piers Morgan ends up fired and destroyed. Not for any real reason, but simply because out of all the 'tabloid' folk, he's the one I utterly loathe above all others...

Mr D

As far as 'on-topic' goes, he's a troll. What do you expect from him?? Ignore.