Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 27 July, 2016, 03:32:30 PM
Prog 1751. I think this 5/5 masterpiece is a contender for the Top Ten progs. And it's the first time I've read it. Wowzers.
That prog has possibly my favourite Dirty Frank scene ever.

"Dirty Frank has never had sex..."

Rately

Quote from: GordyM on 27 July, 2016, 03:30:13 PM
I can easily recommend Dark Horse's newest title Black Hammer. It's about a superhero team forced into hiding and struggling to live normal lives. There's more to it but I don't want to spoil the surprises. Check it out.

Is this the book Dean Ormston is doing the art for?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rately on 28 July, 2016, 10:08:31 AM

It is and, at the risk of repeating myself, it's great. First book in ages where I've re-read an issue almost immediately after finishing it the first time.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 July, 2016, 10:12:45 AM

It is and, at the risk of repeating myself, it's great. First book in ages where I've re-read an issue almost immediately after finishing it the first time.

Definitely going to check it out, Jim. I've seen a few covers, and they're lovely.

Thanks,

Cathal

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 July, 2016, 10:12:45 AM

Watch the biggin' up. Managed to get to me nerd shop today and got my pull list. New comics go to the top of the pile to be read... you're setting my expectations HIGH!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 July, 2016, 07:37:09 PM
Watch the biggin' up. Managed to get to me nerd shop today and got my pull list. New comics go to the top of the pile to be read... you're setting my expectations HIGH!

I don't actually read a lot of comics these days, so my frame of reference may be a bit out of whack with many comic fans...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Read it and... its very very good. Best thing out there, not quite but still very very good. No one does the slow wide open spaces of north American farmland like Jeff Lemire. Really intriguing set up. Nice to see Dean Ormston knocking out the park after his illness. This book looks like being well worth the wait.

Michael Knight

I picked up IDW'S Action Man #1 out of curiosity. Was really pleasantly surprised in finding it a great modern adaption of the classic British Counterpart to GI JOE. Ordering issue #2 now!
Have also been reading 'The Shadow'/'Twilight Zone' crossover from Dynamite comics which has got better as its gone along.  :)

Apestrife

Read Heart to darkness today while I was sunbathing by the river. Fascinating story. Also fascinating to consider what I was reading while a bunch of kids where playing pokemon go. -good for them :)

But about the book. I find it fascinating how Kurtz's greatness is built up through peoples ideas and impressions of him, only to to have it all fall apart when Marlow meets him. I really like the tragedy of it, when Marlow also chooses to play along with it. Not having the heart to disappoint Kurtz's girl.

Love these sorts of stories. Moby Dick, 1984, Man who was Thursday, Blood Meridian and such. Or the recent Metal Gear Solid game. Also Judge Dredd Origins :)

Rately

Quote from: Apestrife on 29 July, 2016, 09:48:47 PM

Love these sorts of stories. Moby Dick, 1984, Man who was Thursday, Blood Meridian and such. Or the recent Metal Gear Solid game. Also Judge Dredd Origins :)

Had another read of Origins myself the other evening, and those final few panels are just amazing stuff.

Dandontdare

Read Heart of darkness today while I was sunbathing by the river. Fascinating story.

I blagged a whole essay on Heart of Darkness in my university finals based on what I could remember from Apocalypse Now as I hadn't read the book. Didn't do so well on that paper IIRC.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 July, 2016, 09:24:03 PM
Read it and... its very very good. Best thing out there, not quite but still very very good. No one does the slow wide open spaces of north American farmland like Jeff Lemire. Really intriguing set up. Nice to see Dean Ormston knocking out the park after his illness. This book looks like being well worth the wait.

Picked this up on Jim's recommendation too - very enjoyable, like most of Lemire's stuff. Ormston certainly has has mojo back, this is probably my favourite of his work to date, and bizarrely feels a bit like Lemire's. Great to see. My only reservation is the subject matter - feel like we've been down the [spoiler]Missing/Retired Strangely Familiar Golden Age Superheroes [/spoiler]path quite a few times now. However, I suppose it's what they do with the setup that matters, and this is certainly engaging so far.

Also: 'Barbalien' seems like a neologism I will be making use of the future.

Pyroxian

Just read "Who goes there", the original novella that "The Thing", and "The Thing from Another World" were base on. I thought it would be more like TTFAW, but actually was much closer to "The Thing" in tone, just without all the body horror.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 August, 2016, 02:50:53 PM
Read Heart of darkness today while I was sunbathing by the river. Fascinating story.

I blagged a whole essay on Heart of Darkness in my university finals based on what I could remember from Apocalypse Now as I hadn't read the book. Didn't do so well on that paper IIRC.

Dan dont dare read an 80 page book? :P

blackmocco

Been buying like crazy since SDCC. All apologies if some of these have already been covered but I'm not trawling through this thread to check.

I'm never going to stop giving a huge shout-out to Giant Days. My current favorite. Not a superhero, alien, or robot in sight and all the more entertaining for it. If there's proof there's new life in the comics medium, this is it. Some decent contribution from our Mr. Campbell, too. As if that wasn't reason enough for you to check it out...!

Harrow County is awesome as well. American gothic horror with beautiful, beautiful painted art. Loving this one too.

The Discipline, written by 2000AD alumnus Pete Milligan. Not 100% sold on this yet. It's very much adult-themed, tons of demon sex, but something about the story not quite grabbing me yet. Feels a little forced. I'm sticking with it though. Beautiful art.

Satellite Falling Is working for me as well. Actually could almost belong in 2000AD. Great unapologetic sci-fi that clips along, kickass heroine, tons of aliens.

Currently working my way through Paul Dini's Dark Night. It's a great, if tough, read. A great insight into the life of an animation artist (something I can wholeheartedly relate to) and, unfortunately, into the trauma that comes with being violently mugged. Highly recommended. Some mind-blowing art from Eduardo Risso too.

And IDW's Dredd title. McDaid's art is great, I think. Not sure it particularly suits Dredd but I like his style. The story-- well, it is what it is which is NOT really a convincing Dredd. I'm trying to give it a chance because I got to, by a weird coincidence, hang out with the writer Ulises Farinas at SDCC and he's a lovely guy who means well and likes all the same shit movies I do. He defended his choices with the point that Dredd has never really taken off here in the US as presented and what with two failed movies and fuck knows how many different comic lines, I found my usual defense of Dredd somewhat lacking. He wanted to do an Elseworlds Dredd and in that regard, he's succeeded even if, in my opinion, he missed the point that MC1 herself is as much a character in Dredd as Dredd himself. Nonetheless, I've been guilty of napalming this one on sight, so I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com