Comic hauls are better with Simonson
with Simonson
with Simonson
Comic hauls are better with Simonson
and also Sam Kieth
and also Vaughan and Chiang
and also Ennis and Coleby

and defo Williams and Dowling

Bonus points for guessing what song those 'lyrics' are meant to be song too... anyway

Yeah Walt Simonson grabs comics of the Haul with Ragnarok 9. But not before his wonderfully storm Thor tale has to do battle with the glories that are Paper Girls 7 and Unfollow 9. While the harsh, biting and oh so relevant ending to Dreaming Eagles in issue 6kept that book right up there.

Maxx 33 Hawkchappie has discussed with awe struck bewilderment  elsewhere and having read it I know why. WHAT THE?!? Brilliant stuff, but really that was about... one day some one will write the Brodie's Notes for this series and I will hunt them down and shake their hand.

So while Judge Dredd 7* and Hip Hop Family Tree 11 don't hold a light to these comics its about the quality of the rest rather than any deficiency in them, both great.

Colour me hauled.

*I know liking this comic is tantamount to saying Gerry Finlay Day is one of the worst writers the Prog has ever seen, but I've said that here recently so NAH NAH.

Hawkmumbler

Well it's been three weeks since I talked about my digital long box so I might have to split this into two posts, but it's really saying something when the weakest thing I bought was a Matt Wagner comic!

Kicking off as I do with Weekly Shonen Jump #'s 31-33 and it's veritable bag of goodies! Blue Exorcist really ramped up the intrigue this month and Boruto is actually shaping up quite nicely, it's managing to be a send up to it's parent series but actually is somewhat more enjoyable. My Hero Academia excels in nearly every way, coming down as it does from a climatic event into a series of more personal ones and it's oh so delightful.

Man, as Colin has already pointed out I don't know what DC are doing but they're making Hannah Barbera comics good! Future Quest #2 is an utter triumph, i'm so invested in all these titles I know nothing about but it's all oh so good! I'm sticking with this because who thought i'd like a Birdman/Space Ghost/ Johnny Quest comic?! Then came Spawn #264 and, I have to say, I think the majority of my enjoyment for this is coming from the art. My god this is a kick ass looking comic but i'm just finding the rest of it a bit...bland? Good thing Switch #4 taught me what fun cape comics is like, man this is a fun little strip. It's popcorn comics sure but it's a heck of a lot of fun!

In contrast to this Cinema Purgatorio #3 is a bit more of a mixed bag, some exceptional some sub standard. It's still very much one of the best anthologies on the market right now, heaven knows we need more of those, but a bit more consistency between the strips would be nice. The same almost goes for The Shadow: Death of Margo Lane #2. Almost superb but a few notes, a few minor quibbles make this sadly not as great as Wagners other work. On the other hand, Unfollow #9 is...lost for words great. Almost, oh so almost comic of the month if not for something else (more on that later) edging it out. It's insanely good comics!

Hawkmumbler

Right! Onwards to the second haul round up!

Welp, seeing as One-Punch Man is being talked about elsewhere i'll skip the fact I nabbed vol.7 (OMG THAT COVER IS GORGEOUS!) and focus on Dept. H #4 which is tickaling every scuba diving, Lovecraftian horror title i've ever wanted to read! It's the best loose adaptation of Dagon we could have ever asked for! Equally wonderful is the new Groo Fray of the Gods #1 mini series! More Groo is always a good thing and my grief this looks set up to be a corcker, highly recommended!

One of the surprises of the week was Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #2 which is surprisingly getting me to want to read Gotham Academy! It's a wonderful, joyous little all ages comic that slightly losses the wit of the main Lumberjanes comic. Not a big detraction. Then there was Doctor Who 4th #3 which is just some of the best Doctor Who you'll ever read! It's quite superb, brilliant stuff! Also superb and along with Unfollow almost nabs comic of the month is The Maxx #33. As Colin say's, what the heck?! Brilliant, disturbing, symbolic...? We'll see, only two more issues to go, will everything get a chance to be explained?!

Comic of the month however has to go to Usagi Yojimbo #156. It's brilliant, how can a comic run consistently for nearly 300 issues, over 30 years and never not even once be anything less than superlative? How does one of the best works of fiction ever crafted go so unnoticed by the general comic reading audience? Madness, but Usagi Yojimbo is delightfully calming enough to settle that madness. Best comics. Just the best.

Mardroid

I finally got round to reading Wytches, one of the volumes I picked up from LSCC.

I've only read the first chapter so far, so its a bit too early to say I like it. I do quite like what I've read. If I had a complaint it would be that I would prefer a slower burn, if that makes sense. [spoiler]Okay, it's already a slow burn, but I think the explosive stuff with the deer, and the reveal of the wytch girl in the tree at the end might have been better later.[/spoiler] But... I'm undecided on that.

Concerning Jock's art, I found I was not sure of it when I started reading, but ended up really liking it. This isn't the first time this has happened when regarding his art. What is it that causes me to react this way?  Maybe it's the fact the style is outside what I'm used to. Faces made of straight lines* etc. I think it's smashing now, so I do mean this assessment of the man's art to be complimentary.

*Thats Not quite right. He does draw curves, but I think you will understand what I mean. I think it might be what you guys mean when you describe art as 'scratchy'. 

The Adventurer

This is the second week in a row that hasn't really had anything that I 'must have right now' (aside from 2000 AD and Jump of course). Disheartening that my pull list has gotten quite weak lately, but I'm just broke enough to not want to add much too it. I think my current pull list looks like...

Savage Dragon
Invincible
Spawn
Saga
Paper Girls
East of West
The Autumnlands
Usagi Yojimbo

Ugg.

Actually the last week I've been catching up on some early EARLY Legion of Super-Heroes comics. In particular the issues that introduced the Fatal Five and the death of Ferro Lad (that both of these things happened in the same arc is crazy) and when the Legion spun out of Superboy to become its own title for the first time. I'm basically thinking about just starting at Legion of Super-Heroes 259 and working my way forward as far as it goes. Right off the bat, this period of late 70s, early 80s Legion is pure, unadulterated Bronze Age. I guess there's a reason this outsold X-Men for a time.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Fungus

Quote from: Mardroid on 21 July, 2016, 01:57:51 AM
I finally got round to reading Wytches, one of the volumes I picked up from LSCC.

I've only read the first chapter so far, so its a bit too early to say I like it. I do quite like what I've read. If I had a complaint it would be that I would prefer a slower burn, if that makes sense. [spoiler]Okay, it's already a slow burn, but I think the explosive stuff with the deer, and the reveal of the wytch girl in the tree at the end might have been better later.[/spoiler] But... I'm undecided on that.

Concerning Jock's art, I found I was not sure of it when I started reading, but ended up really liking it. This isn't the first time this has happened when regarding his art. What is it that causes me to react this way?  Maybe it's the fact the style is outside what I'm used to. Faces made of straight lines* etc. I think it's smashing now, so I do mean this assessment of the man's art to be complimentary.

*Thats Not quite right. He does draw curves, but I think you will understand what I mean. I think it might be what you guys mean when you describe art as 'scratchy'.

Wytches is terrific, both in scripting and art. I'm not a horror fan yet loved it. Gripping.

Jock's art is interesting, though I have little of it (guess I missed a productive period in the prog). Black Mirror is (still) on the read pile. The Dredd movie book is quite basic but elsewhere it's got that trick of appearing quick and rushed but I suspect it's far more considered. It's so powerful I imagine he spends much more time on it that you'd suspect, adjusting, adjusting... Maybe? Anyway, a top artist.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 21 July, 2016, 10:59:56 AM
Black Mirror is (still) on the read pile.

Get it read BY far the best thing I've read by Snyder, though have Wytches on my list.

Anyway got Wacky Raceland through the post the other day and I continue to be amazed by how bonkers brilliant this is... or utter rubbish, but I'm willing to hang around to findout!

Hawkmumbler

Oh hey Chapter 56 of Jojolion is out this week as well! Sweeeet! Araki's master work is turning out to be one of my favourite comics on the stand right now, brilliant stuff!

Jim_Campbell

Nobody else pick up the first issue of Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston's Black Hammer? Spoiler-free review: it's great.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 July, 2016, 08:54:00 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 21 July, 2016, 10:59:56 AM
Black Mirror is (still) on the read pile.

Get it read BY far the best thing I've read by Snyder, though have Wytches on my list.

Definitely Snyder's best Batman work.
There's a snazzy new hardcover edition (part of the 'Batman Noir' range) that I'm very tempted to get; http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/batman-noir-black-mirror-hardcover

Another vote for Wytches from me, a great horror comic.
Been waiting a while for volume 2 to start...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 July, 2016, 10:43:02 AM
Nobody else pick up the first issue of Jeff Lemire and Dean Ormston's Black Hammer? Spoiler-free review: it's great.

Its waiting for me in my nerd shop - hope to make it there tomorrow or Thursday - very much looking forward to it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 July, 2016, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 July, 2016, 10:43:02 AM

Its waiting for me in my nerd shop - hope to make it there tomorrow or Thursday - very much looking forward to it.
Ditto, missed it last week but damned if i'm going to miss it again!

Fungus

Black Hammer crept up on me, but looks so tempting it's now on order. Ta.

While I'm enjoying Unfollow, its monthly format and cleverness is contriving to make me miss things. I think, anyway. A binge later will help.

Not so with The Maxx !!! Issues feel like the self-contained deranged rantings of a lunatic genius and if there's a grand plot to appreciate it hardly seems to matter. My favourite comic. Just 2 issues to go ? ... sad face...

Colin YNWA

Read my latest haul while away and not sure I'LL find time to share my thoughts. I did also us the break to re-read Kennel Block Blues after adoring the first issue and the  kinda losing it a little after that. Well glad to report that read as one it really holds up. Okay so it never quite gets back that initial amazing originality the first issue has, simply by virtue of not being the first time you read some thing like this BUT holds up across its 4 issue run well.

I apologise for my luck warm reviews of issues 2-4 and I implore you all to get the trade whenever you can.

Ancient Otter

Ye all got the new Cam Kennedy Battle collection that is out right now, right?