Main Menu

Brian Wood - Rebels / Starve

Started by Proudhuff, 19 July, 2015, 11:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I'm always surprised that there so little mention of Brian Wood around here...

Anyway anyone else enjoying his Rebels?  Fact based history of the Green Mountain Boys Militia and their fight to remove their oppressors.

Also out Starve a telly cook in the future great first issue that could come from the pages of the Megazine.

He's one of the few creators that i will pick up without question, anyone else?
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

While I raved about The Massive over on the Mega Comic Book Day thread and I'm really looking forward to its follow up, assuming I didn't imagine that AND I really enjoy the issues of Northlanders I own, though I still have large gaps there, I've strangely still to pick up his other works.

DMZ sounds interesting, but never followed it up. Rebels tempted me, but didn't take it up. Might wait for a digital deal on that one though as it does sound right up my street.

Starve I've heard nothing but good things about, but the concept leaves me completely cold.

What other titles of his would you recommend?

Molch-R

Northlanders remains one of my all-time favourite comic books ever.

maryanddavid

I have not read much of his, but the first DMZ  trade didn't grab me and Northlander's was very hit or miss. The first Vol is top class, second not so much, third great etc, I have stuck with it though and in general its a good comic with some really great moments.
Rebels sounds interesting, and I'm a sucker for historical comics, so Ill give it a try in trade.

locustsofdeath!

I absolutely can't stand Brian Wood's writing. Northlanders was boring overall (how do you make Vikings boring?!) and his Conan was terribly written. He's one of those writers who...I just don't understand the accolades.

Proudhuff

Bloody colonials!  ;)

I enjoy his writing, my only problems are his finishes: DMZee -cop out( for me politcally), Northlanders -fizzled out, Massive- tripped out, however the journey getting there was worth it,

I'd recommend the first issue of Starve, it could fit into MC1 in the blink of an eye, anyone who liked Bernard Cornwell's The Fort should give Rebels a trial.

DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 July, 2015, 12:49:06 AM
I'd recommend the first issue of Starve, it could fit into MC1 in the blink of an eye...

Now from what I've read, which isn't the comic so I know nowt, mind this being the internet and all since when should that stop me spouting on, BUT from what I've read the concept indeed sounded like it has come out of 2000ad. The difference is Brian Wood can be a little... po-faced shall we say and without the rich vein of dark humour that runs through Dredd and Mega City One, the idea doesn't sound as interesting, in fact it had the potential to be a bit daft?

Has he injected some humour, or has he managed to avoid this misstep in some other way? Given your praise I assume he has?

Proudhuff

Nope, po-faced as feck and dark. no tights, no super powers, nor weaponize robots, a dark mirror on today's consumer culture with no humour to lighten the mood. I can imagine a lot of fanboys will not like it, me love it.
DDT did a job on me

jacob g

I definetely will be waiting fot The Starve in TPB form but I think I'll skip Rebels. I like Wood in Demo and loved every issue of The Massive but Northlanders was boring as hell. I just don't trust Wood's writing in (how to say it...) more historic setting.
margaritas ante porcos

JamesC

I haven't enjoyed all of Brian Wood's writing - Northlanders was very up and down in terms of writing.
I've been enjoying Rebels very much though and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

gurnard

yeah I am also a big fan. Currently on Rebels and Starve.  DMZ was one of my favorites I love the little extras like Club night flyers and the such, the graphic design skills that are incorporated to the whole feel of the stories.
Northlanders was very entertaining, never knew about Paris.

The Massive did not float my boat as much as DMZ but was enjoyable none the less. For the eco warrior in a post disaster environment I preferred the ghosts of central park in DMZ, nice ideas.

For me it is the mix and depiction of characters combined with stories with a slant that I like about his writing.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: gurnard on 24 July, 2015, 12:20:55 PM
The Massive did not float my boat as much as DMZ but was enjoyable none the less. For the eco warrior in a post disaster environment I preferred the ghosts of central park in DMZ, nice ideas.

For me it is the mix and depiction of characters combined with stories with a slant that I like about his writing.

There is supposed to be a prequel series to The Massive out next year, Ninth Wave

Proudhuff

I'm liking the themes explored in Starve and enjoyed Rebels, I can imagine Rebels getting into American schools to interest young non reading males in their country's history.
DDT did a job on me

foxemm

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 September, 2015, 02:31:00 PM
I'm liking the themes explored in Starve and enjoyed Rebels, I can imagine Rebels getting into American schools to interest young non reading males in their country's history.

I definitely agree with you there. I have a nephew who is fairly receptive to reading comics, but isn't particularly interested in either reading or history. (How we are related, I'll never know.) -- I haven't read Rebels yet, myself. It's on the 'to do' list for sure, though.

Colin YNWA

Okay so there's a really good digital sale on Comixology for a bunch of Vertigo titles (discussed in full elsewhere) one of which DMZ, which I'm tempted by, can anyone sell it to me (as there's a LOT to tempt one in the sale and I've only got a couple of days to decide what to go for!)