Main Menu

DC Rebirth

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 March, 2016, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well I guess it makes sense to have a thread about all this guff. Its amazing when you consider my feverish enthusiasm for the Nu52 relaunch only 5 years ago compared to my more... shall we say lack lustre interest in the lastest stuff.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/wondercon-dc-unveils-its-rebirth-creative-teams

DC have all but lost me over those intervening 5 years, but thats more to do with my over all change in tastes rather than anything specific to do with them. In fact I'd still call Nu52 a pretty big success, for the best part of 5 years they had considerably increased sales and the sales in the industry over all have been up, certainly in part (I'd guess a considerable part) due to their relaunch and associated interest in comics it generated. Marvel's push back, particularly with their Star Wars stuff has 'forced' DC into its next move and we'll see how well another denied relaunch goes.

As for my interest... not that anyone should care, but that never stopped me. Well...

There's a couple of books by Dan Abnett, Titans which with Brett Booth on art I'll be passing and Aquaman which I might check out. Rob Williams Suicide Squad might have pulled me in, but for the art team.

Have to be honest the one book that does peaks my interest is Hellblazer. I was a big fan of Simon Oliver's FBP and Moritat is a perfect choice on art. I'll see if owt else seems interesting when more details are out. Given that I currently only get one DC book, which not surprisingly isn't surviving if I do end up with 2 books then that's a win for DC!

Hawkmumbler

You can almost feel the desperation, can't you?

In light of this and my over all distaste for NU52 I will be the first to admit Williams on SS might actually get me buying a DC book for the first time in 5 years.

Professor Bear

I don't think you can really call the Nu52 a success when they're already having a threeboot to replace it, but I'm more optimistic about the threeboot than I was for the Nu52, even if Dan DiDio doesn't seem to share the enthusiasm if that interview he gave with Newsarama where he looked like he was being questioned about a missing child rather than a product launch is any indicator.  The company has - with their West Coast move - cleaned house of a lot of the thwarted-creator middle-managers that Alan Grant, Warren Ellis and even Rob Liefeld were complaining about as far back as the early 2000s and who were most likely responsible for derailing attempts at retooling or rebooting titles over the intervening years, so there's a good chance that something might actually stick with this threeboot.  We'll see, I guess.

Neil Googe on Flash art looks like it might be interesting, unfortunately I refuse to buy a Barry Allen Flash book made this side of the millennium #NotMyFlash, although Dan Jurgens on Batman Beyond may very well be an essential purchase, as Jurgens is criminally overlooked for his operatic superhero epics (his Thor run with JRJR is brilliant) as well as his enthusiastic sci-fi world-building.  Not sure if Bernard Chang is a good aesthetic choice for artist, but I put that down to me subconsciously probably wanting Jurgens to draw it as well, and I'm willing to overlook that the title seems to completely ignore Future's End and returns to the Terry McGinnis version of the character, because after a year of reading Future's End only to be fucked over in the final stretch, I wish I'd ignored it, too.
Blue Beetle has a solid creative team, but they're still pushing the Jaime Reyes Guyver/Iron Man version of the character rather than the campy Ted Kord: Billionaire Adventurer version, so that's probably a pass #NotMyBlueBeetle.
Dabnett and Booth's Titans sounds good, but the property being cursed with a revolving door of creative teams, reboots and relaunches means I'd want to see it get a couple of years of issues out there before I'd trust it, plus Tim Drake as Red Robin: I'm sorry, but no.  Always no.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 27 March, 2016, 02:03:46 PM

... as Jurgens is criminally overlooked for his operatic superhero epics...

Nice to know there is something we agree on, though not fussed about Batman Beyond.

BPP

Unless the Dog Welder is there, I'm oot.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 March, 2016, 03:27:47 PM
Quote from: Professor Wolfgang Von Bear on 27 March, 2016, 02:03:46 PM

... as Jurgens is criminally overlooked for his operatic superhero epics...

Nice to know there is something we agree on, though not fussed about Batman Beyond.

I'm tempted by his Action Comics, as it's going twice-monthly alongside Pete Tomasi's bi-weekly Superman, which is probably as close to the Superbook-a-week triangle-logo era where Jurgens, Ordway and Simonson defined the modern Superman as we're likely to get.  Not sure about the "no underpants no boots" Supes costume, though, as if they're going to keep drifting the design in that direction I'd rather they just brought back Electric Superman and be done with it.

Colin YNWA

Well have to say there's a few covers there that I'm impressed with.

Having read the blurb think I'll give Dan Abnett's Aquaman a try... fingers crossed!

Theblazeuk

I am always surprised when Aquaman turns out to be one of the good comics out there. For a long time was a warm corner of the Nu-DCU, building a different but familiar world in all the right ways.

I've yet to read an Abnett comic I disliked so will be checking those out. The rest? maybe just Wonder Woman, probably check out Action due to Jurgens.

Oh and again #notmyflash. The Flash on TV is basically Wally West in character + Barry Allen in job and name. Just change the name and I'd be fine stop ruining things Geoff Johns.

Stephen Parry

Whilst there may be some books I am interested in, I am tired of DC Comics' reboots.

There was the 1986 one, the minor clean-up in 1994 (Zero Hour?), at least one between 2000 and 2010. And then 2011. Now this one, too.

I can't invest long-term like I can with Dredd. What if there's another "this time it'll be the last one" reboot in 2020? Or 2025?

That said, I am sure I'll pick up a book or two. Always interested in Superman if the writers and artists are good.

Colin YNWA

Arh ya bollocksy bastard I wasn't trying to get drawn into all this nonsense but just read the bits of blurb that have come out about he titles and a couple more have peaked my interest.

Greg Rucka back on Wonder Woman was always always going to be a draw as I liked his first run on the character, who I've got a real soft spot for and for some reason this blurb has drawn me in.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/11/the-continuity-of-wonder-woman-to-be-made-sense-of-dc-rebirth-details/

And funnily enough with the conversation over at another thread the fact that it seems Lex Luthor is the led on Dan Jurgans Action Comics has pulled me in. Well it worked last time so...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/11/lex-luthor-the-man-who-beat-superman-in-action-comics-details-for-dc-rebirth/

The blurb on Aquaman is enough to swing me there too... and with Hellblazer that makes 4 (hope they are not all twice monthly mind!)

Loads more info over at Bleeding Cool (and elsewhere I assume).

Colin YNWA

Phew the whole Lex Luthor thing seems to have been an aside so that's off the list and Aquaman is beginning to sound slightly less interesting. Maybe DC isn't going to to do another shake down on me this time... Good job cos the idea of two books of a title a month was a little much.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/19/dc-comics-full-july-2016-solicits-has-doctor-fate-survived-the-rebirth/

Old Tankie

Shelly Bond is leaving Vertigo. I hear she is a great editor, so don't know what is happening there.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Old Tankie on 25 April, 2016, 01:18:58 PM
Shelly Bond is leaving Vertigo. I hear she is a great editor, so don't know what is happening there.
DC's current editor is a habitual sex offender. The biggest reason why, despite curiosity, I will not be buying any Rebirth books and buy reprints through second had sources.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/comics-toxic-heritage-strikes-again-as-dc-editor-named-as-sexual-harasser/

Old Tankie

Wow! You learn something new every day.

Theblazeuk

I am a bit troubled by talk that 'no woman will work in the superman office' being an actual thing.

What Would Superman Do?