Main Menu

DC Rebirth

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 March, 2016, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I stopped paying attention to the vitriol aimed at Moore long ago, as I've seen precious little in the way of substantive criticism of Moore's work.  It took a while for me to realise that this was because such a thing involves reasoned argument and difficult discussions about the ingrained attitudes and conservatism of the industry, creators, and fans - much easier to just say Moore is obsessed with rape and a hypocrite and to keep repeating it until it becomes the consensus.

Quote from: The Adventurer on 21 May, 2016, 05:25:56 AM1 apparently optimism is back in a big way.

Like DC Rebirth, DC have pulled this one before, when they said Brightest Day was the return to the happy, fun DC that fans wanted - and then the very first page of the introductory miniseries was the image of a baby bird with its brains dashed across a gravestone.

JamesC

Can't we just have some decent, fun superhero stories?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 May, 2016, 12:07:31 PM
I stopped paying attention to the vitriol aimed at Moore long ago, as I've seen precious little in the way of substantive criticism of Moore's work.  It took a while for me to realise that this was because such a thing involves reasoned argument and difficult discussions about the ingrained attitudes and conservatism of the industry, creators, and fans - much easier to just say Moore is obsessed with rape and a hypocrite and to keep repeating it until it becomes the consensus.

The problem is the opposite side of the argument rages just as strongly. That Alan Moore is a deity amongst man, that anything he's said and wrote is gospel and anyone who dares utter even a question against this is a sad silly fan boy who hasn't grown up and will never understand comics properly.

Somewhere between the two the sensible middle ground - that he is a very good comics writer who is as capable as anyone of having a creative misstep and speaking tosh and nonsense on occasion amongst all the sense and insight he provides - gets lost.

Professor Bear

Again, there's a discussion to be had, but it's not going to happen in the hyperbolic clickbait tongue of the web.  When even GMozz has descended to making a one-sided internet argument with some of Moore's quotes from a decade earlier that amounts to "NO, U", it's probably best to just walk away.

Link Prime

Hands up if you had zero interest in DC Rebirth 1 before today, yet added it to your order for next week based on all this bullshit.

(Gingerly raises hand)

The Adventurer

God damn it.

*raises hand*

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

When just one hateful commentroll gives me one ten-thousandth of the joy and fascination that Alan Moore has for more than 30 years, I'll pay attention to their repetitive bleating.  As Colin says, just a flawed man like the rest of us, but his account with me is heavily in credit.

See also: Pat Mills, George Lucas.

Professor Bear

Compare and contrast the volume and enthusiasm of the vitriol aimed at Moore and that aimed at comics creators outed as wife-beaters or homophobes.  There's something off there.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 May, 2016, 09:56:30 AM
Compare and contrast the volume and enthusiasm of the vitriol aimed at Moore and that aimed at comics creators outed as wife-beaters or homophobes.  There's something off there.
Boom!  :lol:

And, i'll be honest, I won't be buying anything DC Reboot related, not even the Ostrander/Williams Suicide Squad stuff or the DABnett Aquaman material, let alone this. Heck I feel bad enough giving DC my miney for Future Quest!

Frank

Quote from: Tordelback on 22 May, 2016, 09:29:58 AM
Alan Moore (is) just a flawed man like the rest of us, but his account with me is heavily in credit. See also: Pat Mills, George Lucas.

There's an interesting study to be done on the correlation between fans who turn on their childhood idols and people who never got over the teenage phase where you decide your parents are arseholes.

DC are trolling Moore now, but installing his most notable superhero creation as [spoiler]the creator of the DC Universe[/spoiler] does nothing to counter his assertion they are stripmining his work because they haven't had a single new idea in the last thirty years.

CrazyFoxMachine

[spoiler]Only a serial womanizer like Dr Manhattan could create a universe so massively sexist.[/spoiler]

IT ALL MAKES SENSE  :o

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 May, 2016, 10:56:17 AM
[spoiler]Only a serial womanizer like Dr Manhattan could create a universe so massively sexist.[/spoiler]

I thought he was womanising in parallel rather than in series?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 May, 2016, 10:19:03 AM
Heck I feel bad enough giving DC my miney for Future Quest!

Arh but good comics (and this is a very good comic) need support whomever produces them.

Professor Bear

"--traveled back in time and ejaculated into the primordial soup" is actually a Family Guy joke about Gil Gerard, so at least DC have finally stopped stealing their ideas exclusively from old Alan Moore stories.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tordelback on 22 May, 2016, 11:05:53 AM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 May, 2016, 10:56:17 AM

I thought he was womanising in parallel rather than in series?