Main Menu

DC Rebirth

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 March, 2016, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Oh and meant to also say the Steve Pugh art is a forgotten delight in all the 'wacky'.

The Adventurer

If you try only One DC Rebirth title, or are on the fence of trying any, you can't do worse then this week's SUPERWOMAN by Phil Jimenez. Its just a solid piece of super-hero storytelling. and as someone who hasn't read any Rebirth (well, the first Rebirth one-shot, but that doesn't really matter here) or even any New 52 titles leading into Rebirth, it was very accessible.

Just a really really REALLY good super-hero comic. I think I'll be following it for a while.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Greg M.

I tried Dan Abnett's Titans title, since it was Abnett and I like a couple of the characters. Unfortunately, having only a passing knowledge of the current DC status quo, I found it quite inaccessible, so I won't be coming back for #2. On the other hand, I found the Chinese-set New Super-Man - about an asshole who gets Superman-like powers - quite easy to get into. Not blow-you-away amazing by any means, but different enough in terms of setting, with a fairly light tone, and seemingly not requiring any special DC knowledge to follow.

Link Prime

I've tried a few DC titles since the re-launch;

Rebirth one-shot; I was lost in a few places, but it read quite well. Not sure about the Watchmen stuff, but hey- it had me curious enough to pick this up.
Scooby Apocalypse; First issue was fun enough, but it didn't make the cut.
Batman by Tom King; I actually had no intention of collecting it, but wanted to try it out. First two were grand, nothing special. Cut.
Wonder Woman; I was initially drawn to this due to the fact Liam Sharp would be providing the art (well, 50% of it). Four issues in, and it's good, but not great. Finger hovering over 'cut' button.
All-Star Batman; Just read the first issue last night. Solid stuff from Snyder & Romita Jnr. This will likely end up being my only mainstream DC title.

As for Vertigo; I'm still following Unfollow, but have dropped Lucifer after issue 7. It just doesn't stand up to the Mike Carey run.

Dandontdare

Quoted in full in case you missed it:

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 July, 2016, 02:44:35 AM
Gave The Flintstones a go.
If I gave you my general impressions, you would probably go "oh here he goes trying to read some leftfield meaning into a perfectly straightforward children's comic", so instead I will simply describe what unfolds:
By page 7 Fred and Barney are at a veterans' group as one of their friends is in tears describing how he murdered a village of innocent people by setting fire to the trees they lived in, and how even now he sees their dead bodies.  This is presented as a joke.
Fred is supposed to be showing some new workers - cavemen with no concept of civilisation - a good time so that they stay on at the quarry where Fred works and he'll get a promotion, and the joke is that instead of seeing strip club boobies, they hear about a genocide.
Later, Fred takes the cavemen to a boxing match where they are appalled by the brutality and spouts of blood flying off the fighters.  After the fight, a humorous scene unfolds in the background as the losing fighter is fed to pterodactyls who rips strips of his flesh off, while the victor gives praise to Marp, the pagan deity that watches over Bedrock and all its people.
Later, one of the caveman cries over a deflated balloon.  Fred asks his friend why he's crying and is told "he's never had to deal with death before."
The cavemen eventually leave Bedrock after one of their friends is killed at a party after being goaded into a drunken display of bravado by Fred's overbearing boss.  As they go, they lament that "civilisation" is simply a way to get other people to do your killing for you.
During the party, Fred's boss meditates on the nature of fate, and - ridiculing the idea of an afterlife - how the massive stone sign above his quarry that bears his name may be the only thing that will endure the ages, while the many deaths Fred saw or committed during the wars would be as forgotten as Fred himself.  He smiles and thanks Fred for his service in the war.
Wilma's primitive attempts at art are ridiculed by the intelligentsia of Bedrock when displayed in a museum, and she reveals them to Fred to be replications of the handprints her tribe placed upon the cave walls of her now-distant home on the day they became classified as human beings, children having no status in her tribe, and just as she made her mark on the walls of her home and "became someone", so too does she try to make her mark here in Bedrock in the only primitive way she understands - by replicated the primitive rituals and images of her childhood before she was sold to Fred.
In the present day, the caveman who perished at the party is displayed in a museum, perfectly preserved.  he is a curiosity to be gawked at - the only proof of an advanced stone age civilisation that once existed in what is now known as Bedrock Valley, all other evidence of this civilisation having been wiped from the face of the Earth.  The final image is of the museum at night, a close shot of the caveman in the darkness, his final expression of terror captured for eternity.

I am making none of this up.

He isn't you know.

based on this review I picked up a copy of this while visiting Orbital comics at the weekend - It is just as mad  as the prof describes and I honestly don't know what kind of comic they're trying to make here. Not a fun one that's for sure.

I'm looking for some positives: the whole "I wasn't a human being till my handprint was on the wall" is a nice idea, no doubt lifted from some genuine tribal folklore. The best thing is the cover gag - Fred & Wilma (in this new, weird realistic-looking depiction) take a selfie by holding up a camera with a small bird on the back who pecks out the image - the gag is that the image is of Fred & Wilma as they look in the cartoons. Oh and "shellphone" was quite funny.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 August, 2016, 01:36:44 PMThe best thing is the cover gag

Just realised I ended up with an alternate cover - and visual gags are never funny when described, so ...