Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Nexus
East of West
American Flagg!

The Adventurer

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 July, 2016, 01:08:04 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 July, 2016, 11:30:22 AM
One of the best space operas you can read these days is Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin. Smartly written, stunning art and with almost universal appeal it's brilliant stuff.

You young'uns and your goddamned gundams. Well you'll never break me, y'hear, never.

Young'uns? Mobile Suit Gundam is nearly as old as 2000 AD!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Fungus on 27 July, 2016, 06:12:36 PM
American Flagg!
As a Chaykin fan i;ve been wanting to read Flagg! for awhile, is it good then?

Apestrife

I'm thinking Spaceman by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso could be a good addition to the collection.

Basically a noir science-horror story with a very cool and inventive twitter future speak. Shoes are simply called feet, reality tv "real tv", agreed "greed" and such.

In short, world gone to hell, as in a water world. A genetically engineered ape like giant (tailored by NASA for a mission to Mars, before everything went to shit) named Orson goes around with a boat looking for scrap metal and stuff. Goes about with his life while having dreams about Mars (or if it's the other way around) and dropping some acid-like stuff. Then one day out at sea he comes across a kidnapping, which then leads to a journey together with an orphan from a "reality" tv program called Tara.

Azzarello being the writer means the story has some grim moments, but also very big moments between characters. Especially Orson and Terra.

Amazing that it hasn't been made into a movie yet. Especially consider how amazing the ending is.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: JamesC on 25 July, 2016, 08:47:12 AM
You haven't listed Nemesis the Warlock, so I'd definitely recommend that if you haven't read it.

You seem to like classic British stuff so I'd also recommend Jeff Hawke. It's not very well known but is very well regarded by those who've read it.

I did list Nemesis the Warlock.  I've got all three case files size books, and they seem to be increasingly difficult to get hold of.  When the stories first came out I remember reading up to the point just before the Black Hole mission where the ABC warriors went off and did their own thing.  The stories after that were a bit of a mixed bag and I got the impression that it seemed a bit rushed at the end.  I was disappointed in the way Candida changed.  You got the impression at the end of the Gothic Empire that she was glad that Torquemada was dead, come the next stories and she had turned into a proper fanatic.

Are there any other stories close to the Dan Dare/Ministry of Space/Ignition City/Trigan Empire feel.  I'm on a bit of a retro sci fi kick just now.  I will check these others out though.

The Ignition City hardback that I got has a Volume 1 on it, but I see no sign of a follow on.  Was it planned and never came to anything?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

maryanddavid

I'd second Jeff Hawk, really great stuff.
Global Frequency is good, the most 2000 AD of WE's output.   
Don Lawrence's Storm is a good read, Titan did two English editions in the eighties and Marvel UK's Strip comic reprinted some of it too.

For the more obscure stuff, Dan Dare knock off's Jet Ace Logan and Captain Condor might be worth tracking down, especially those drawn by Brian Lewis, one of the most underrated artists. I'm only familiar with his later Condor strip in Lion, fantastic art.
The Space Holiday Specials reprint come Logan and Condor tales reformatted for the library format.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Space-holiday-special-/331920769680?

The Rick Random collection is a decent read, great Ron Turner art IIRC,

And for a more contemporary comic with a vintage feel, Jack Staff is just great fun and well worth getting.