Main Menu

Comics for a 10 year old girl??

Started by amines2058, 24 July, 2016, 06:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

Hivemind please can you give me any recommendations of some good comics for my daughter to read (digital preferred). Going away soon so want to pile her Ipad up with lots of reading material. She already has a load of 'my little pony' thanks to a previous humble bundle, but she has now read most of that. Have heard a lot about Lumberjanes, but not sure if may be slightly to old for her??
I have googled but lots of wildly different results coming up so wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations?
Thanks all for any help!

Colin YNWA

My daughter lapped up Bone when she was 5 or 6 and it holds up well as truly all ages. Both myself and my wife love it as well.

She also like some of the Star Wars stuff cos of her father's influence.

The Adventurer

If she's gone though MLP comics, why not something else in that wheel house? I'm pretty sure there are comics for Stephen Universe, Adventure Time, and Bee & Puppy Cat which are of that same type of modern cartoon show.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Oh and Pirates of Pangea from Phoenix Comics.

amines2058

Cheers both some good suggestions there that I will try and hunt down. Colin is Pirates of Pangea digital or physical? As mentioned earlier digital preferred, simply for space restrictions on travelling. Plus I would fear for the safety of a physical copy if my 2yr old get her hands on it!! :-[

Colin YNWA

Whoops you're right it only seems to be available in hardcopy. Sorry I just assumed it'd be available digitally but I can't find it.

amines2058

No problems plenty of other stuff there to choose from. Out of curiosity is Phoenix comic, that Pirates of Pangea originated from, any good as I see there is an ipad app for it and digital subscription?

JudgeBriggs

Mine are enjoying Scooby Doo Apocalpse, Ghostbusters International and Simpsons.

Timothy

Alone! Can't praise it highly enough, and the new one has just come out.

Hawkmumbler

Lumberjanes, Bone and Hench Girl (just got into this yesterday) I can all highly recommend!

Professor Bear

I've seen a lot of complaints from people reading The Phoenix digitally that the large pages don't work on the standard-sized iPad screen, with particular grumbles about the lettering being an eyestrain even for children.  I'd check and see if they've addressed that yet, as I imagine at some point they put new lettering on the digital editions seeing as how decompressed the average story in the book tends to be.

My younger relatives are mad for anything from Raina Telgemeier, with Smile and Drama being favorites, though fair warning the reviews of Drama seem to have been skewed by a section of its audience obsessed with the fact that it acknowledges that gayness is a thing that exists in the world, so I will just be entirely clear here: it's an all-ages book and there's nothing dodgy in it, some people just need to grow up.
Anya's Ghost also went down well.

BPP

Image series Papergirls would fit the bill. Sassy 14 year old girls on BMX bikes surviving a strange time crisis night where their local neighbourhood loses its population and becomes staffed with monsters and warriors on dinosaurs.

Violence wise I'd say nothing worse than a Dr Who epsoide.

Think the first TPB is out, the monthly is on its second arc.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Actually now its been raised if they are a fan of Doctor Who I really couldn't recommend the Eleventh Doctor stuff currently being out out by Titan.

Its as good as the best stuff on NuWho while being consistent too.

Darren Stephens

Lumberjanes, Nimona and Dungeon fun. All great, all ages comics. Not sure of the digital availability, though.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Trout

Hellcat and Ms Marvel go down well with my daughter, who is also 10.