Main Menu

The future is (almost) here

Started by richerthanyou, 20 March, 2016, 08:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: richerthanyou on 20 March, 2016, 08:15:06 AM
Virtual reality. Finally it's become a reality. (ha)

So I was planning on buying myself a ps4 since I haven't had a console since my xbox 360 broke well over a year ago.

But suddenly I'm hearing all about this Playstation VR thing and so I'm thinking I might hold off and save my money til it's here.

Is anyone else excited for virtual reality gaming? Or is it just another gimmick like 3dtv?

Thought you were richer than me.

Professor Bear

richerthanyou

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 March, 2016, 06:34:55 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 March, 2016, 06:08:39 PM
I have 3D stuff, electronic and otherwise, going all the way back to the green and red 3D poster of Terrahawks in Look-In from the 80s. 

I remember being very excited about the experimental 3D night on telly years ago (Googled it but can't seem to find any info). You could send off for those blue and green glasses (or maybe they came with the Radio Times) and Blue Peter showed how to make them with coloured cellophane sweet wrappers; and there was a whole evening of programmes in that fuzzy migraine-inducing 3D. very primitive but it was like magic at the time - late 70s or early 80s maybe?

Yeah, I remember that!! The overriding memory is of maybe a western where a native American advanced towards the screen holding a burning torch in front of him.  I think the idea was the torch would pop out of the TV at you, but it didn't quite work.

Jaws 3 in 3D  - I saw that in the cinema!  Rubbish film, but great 3D!

I, Cosh

As with the 4K question and 3D telly, this doesn't really interest me. I've never been an early adopter of anything like this but I'm sure I'll get one in five or six years time if it turns out to be a success.

I haven't bothered to look at this but I assume part of the hook for VR gaming is going to be the promise of greater immersion through even more "realistic" graphics. The pursuit of this is something that really turns me off. As with comic art, I vastly prefer more imaginative and stylised (well, photorealism is as much of a deliberate stylistic choice as cel shading, but you know what I mean) art.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 March, 2016, 06:34:55 PM
I remember being very excited about the experimental 3D night on telly years ago (Googled it but can't seem to find any info). You could send off for those blue and green glasses (or maybe they came with the Radio Times) and Blue Peter showed how to make them with coloured cellophane sweet wrappers; and there was a whole evening of programmes in that fuzzy migraine-inducing 3D. very primitive but it was like magic at the time - late 70s or early 80s maybe?
Ha. I have a vague memory of this too. We didn't take the Radio Times, other than at Christmas, but I believe an exception was made for this
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Quote from: M.I.K. on 21 March, 2016, 09:01:43 PM
I tell a lie, here's the whole thing...

https://youtu.be/Ey8gkIlliEI

...and another, slightly different episode, which I think was broadcast only in the TVS region, ahead of the nationwide one...

https://youtu.be/mma_lTw3_EA

Oh yes that's the one - can't believe how clunky it looks now and how crap the actual programming was beyond the "here's how it works.." bits.

pauljholden

I've no real interest in gaming, but give me a vast walk about land with flying etc and VR goggles and I'm in. That said, the future I'm waiting on is more AR (Augmented Reality) - http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/02/hands-on-with-the-949-mind-bending-meta-2-augmented-reality-headset/