Main Menu

New 3DSXL

Started by richerthanyou, 16 April, 2016, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richerthanyou

Well I just ordered my new 3ds xl. Will be here on Monday. Came with Spy Hunter (which I am quite looking forward to playing. Even though it's a bit old now I've watched the trailer and it looks like a throwback to old school arcade drivers). I also got Mario Kart 7 so I can play against a friend online and Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D, which didn't get get reviews but still, 3d zombies. and it was cheap.

I can't really afford it, but I'm hoping that it will help with my depression. (having something to do) It will get me out the house even if I just ride the bus and play games :)
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

JamesC

I have a 3DS XL and it's ace.
I hope it has the desired effect and helps you to get over your depression.
One great thing about the 3DS is that it's backwards compatible so you can easily while away an afternoon looking around charity shops for old DS games which are really cheap.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: richerthanyou on 16 April, 2016, 09:35:19 AM
I can't really afford it, but I'm hoping that it will help with my depression. (having something to do) It will get me out the house even if I just ride the bus and play games :)

If you start delving into the Streetpass/Mii stuff then it definitely will! Plenty of days that I've walked into town or stopped in a coffee shop with my 3DS in my pocket, just to see if I get any hits - when otherwise I would probably have just ended up staying inside all day.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

My most played console because of the portability.  No one can stop me playing and make me to chores of I am out of the house.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dark Jimbo

My last 'proper' console was a Playstation (first generation) - that's how long ago it was.

I've had almost every incarnation of Gameboy or DS since then, though. I don't really game at home - always feels like I ought to be doing something more productive. But if I'm stuck on a train, or bus, or doctor's waiting room, or having lunch in town... well, why the hell not?

Love the portability, and genuinely prefer the kind of game you tend to get on the 3DS - much more of the arcadey, pick-up-and-play variety that I've always loved. The big consoles seem to take themselves so damn seriously nowadays - they don't seem to make video games so much as playable movies. I want a game to look like a game, dammit - bold visuals, bright colours, stylised characters.
@jamesfeistdraws

WhizzBang

I am adicted to Pokemon Shuffle on the 3DS. It is a free game and is a fairly simple puzzle game but the Pokemon aspect does add something, with its advanced take on Scissors/Paper/Stone game mechanics.

HdE

I'm not really a huge gamer (I don't have time to be!) but a pal showed me one of these a while back. I think it's a genuinely cool little bit of kit.

Not sure what I think of the 3D gimmick, but when I was shown Street Fighter IV on the thing it was pretty nifty.

Have fun with your new acquisition!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Satanist

The most impressive example of 3D I've seen on this is in Luigis Mansion 2. It's just like looking into a haunted dolls house and it doesnt hurt that the games great as well.

Loved Ocarina of Time on it and keep meaning to pick up Majoras Mask. Got a few long train journies coming up over the summer so may well do although the Vita has been my go to handheld for a while now.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

shaolin_monkey

I have been considering trading in my original 3DS for this model for some time now.  Xenoblade Chronicles is the lure at the moment.  Plus I just absolutely love the 3D on this larger beast!

radiator

I have a 3DSXL and love it but must admit I haven't played it much this last year.

Is it just me or do Nintendo not seem to be releasing many new games on it these days? If I were them I'd be cranking out a new Mario every year...

I'm very curious to see what they're doing with the NX. If it's true that it is a hybrid handheld/console then I may be tempted to finally buy my first next gen system (I don't own either a PS4 or XB1 for the exact reasons Jimbo mentions).

Michael Knight

Could agree more with you Dark Jimbo! I gone from Sega Game Gear, SNES, playstation, playstation 2 to current xbox 360. Haven't taken jump to either xbox one or ps4 as current game rota doesnt appear all that enticing. when come in from  work I dont wanna have to read a manual to get into game. Boy do I miss the days of Streets of rage, original marios, sonics etc.

I am however intrigued with Nintendo's NX and after reading this thread a, gonna look into giving the 3DSXL a whirl.  :) 

Apestrife

Great console. While the exlusive games arent that many (Xenoblade and Binding of Isaac) you got both the DS as well as 3DS library.

To me the 3D effect on N3DS is much better as well. Keeps track of head movement, which helps the 3D to become off.

I'm playing a bit of Majora's Mask at the moment, and plan on getting into the new fire emblem (3 games big) afterwards.