Main Menu

Wanted:Classic Dan Dare

Started by Jade Falcon, 30 March, 2016, 11:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Love to Colin, I have found recently that the copyright to (Just) the Return of the Mekon is... complicated.

Tjm86

What about crowd funding?  Certainly there is a lot of support here.  What is the worst that could happen?

Jade Falcon

Since the consensus here seems to be that the Hawk Books are superior, what is the difference between these two books, and what content do they have?  I'm getting the impression though I may be wrong it's the "Voyage to Venus" storyline, which would certainly be better here as in the Titan prints that is split into two books and getting both for a reasonable price is difficult, especially as the first one is far more common on the open market than the second.

So what is in these, and is the cover the only difference, maybe different print runs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAN-DARE-1-Pilot-of-the-Future-10th-Anniversary-1st-Deluxe-Collectors-Edition-/231881389862?hash=item35fd353726:g:yC8AAOSwpIdW61Rx

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAN-DARE-PILOT-OF-THE-FUTURE-Higgs-Mike-/111887306528?hash=item1a0d00cf20:g:lU8AAOSwnLdWqITu
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

matty_ae

They both contain the same first Dan Dare story in its entirety.

The first is hardback, 10th Anniversary, printing the pages at full size.

The second is paperback and printed on smaller paper reducing the size of the artwork.

Both are pretty common but the paperback goes for a lot less than this in my opinion.

Jade Falcon

Haven't got them through yet, but I've managed to secure two Hawk Dan Dare books, the first one with the Voyage to Venus storyline, and Rogue Planet which is book 6.  The rest I'll get as and when I can at decent prices.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Jade Falcon

Sorry, not trying to necro, but I've got the Hawk books, 1 - Voyage to Venus, the 10th Anniversary reprint edition which was £25, but when you see the price the two Titan books that make up that story go for, it's not so bad.

Book 2, The Red Moon Mystery/Marooned on Mercury.  I had a bit of difficulty with this one.  Marooned is set directly after Red Moon which is a cracking story but the wrap up seems a bit quickly contrived.  However, I got the impression I got was that these stories were set very shortly after book 1.  The Mekon however talks about the years he has been stranded and the crew of the Kingfisher say the same.  I don't imagine Eagle at the time bothered with such a thing as a timeline, how different in some ways comics were back then.

Many thanks to those who recommended the Hawk books.  Comparing the Red Moon story from Hawk to my charity shop bought Titan edition I can see why the Hawk books are recommended.  The only downside is they are heavy, but the large size allows us to see the artwork clearly.

I haven't read Rogue Planet yet, it's a direct sequel to Man from Nowhere and I want to get that.  The way the price of the Titan books are going, it seems to be six and half a dozen price wise, the Titan books also have the disadvantage that two or three have split stories between two books, like Voyage to Venus.

Anyone got any info on the last two Hawk Books, they seem a big vague, book 11 is Solid Space Mysteries and 12 is just labelled as the last book.

matty_ae

Jade Falcon

I wouldn't have minded a full reprint of some of the 80's stuff, it wasn't too bad at all.  I'm aware Hibernia do some reprinting but I dont think they've got the full run.