Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 January, 2017, 12:32:10 PM
The 20th Century was probably the bloodiest, most war-torn and unequal period in all human history - though if we're not careful the 21st might turn out even worse.

Except that the idea that the 20th C was any of those things has been robustly challenged, particularly when absolute numbers of violent deaths are viewed as a proportion of world population . And the other side of the see-saw, improvements in health, longevity, education, suffrage, leisure time, gender and racial equality, are absolutely unmatched in any other period.

Modern Panther

An interesting infographic from the data is beautiful people.

http://www.lumibyte.eu/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/major-causes-of-death-infographic.jpg

The 20th century saw more than three times as many people die of smallpox than through war.

People don't die of smallpox anymore.  Governments forced people to be vaccinated.

The Legendary Shark

So, all those gassed Jews and vapourised Japanese don't really count because they were just a statistical blip?

That's monstrous.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Utterly reprehensible. Reported.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Modern Panther

Yes, that's exactly what I said.  Well done.  Gather round everyone, Sharky has revealed me as a hateful monster for pointing out that more people died of a now eradicated disease than in war.

Your argument was that the 20th century was the most bloody in history, due in large part to the rise of democratically elected government which have done more harm than good.

That argument is wrong. 

Molch-R

We generally operate with a light hand on this thread. However, recent posts have started to become a concern. Please spend extra time considering the content of your comments before posting them.

Jim_Campbell

I would respectfully suggest that drawing equivalence between another poster's difference of opinion with you and indifference to the Holocaust is the specific outlier here, even by the standards of the Political Thread. This is not a case everyone needing to play nicely, it's a case of Legendary Shark needing to take a long hard look in the mirror if he thought for one second that his post was acceptable.

locustsofdeath!

Shark's post is a common internet argument tactic:

"He proved me wrong, so instead of accepting that I'll vilify him."

It goes like this: two people argue, one person wins the argument, the other person makes a crazy leap like "YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THE HOLOCAUST!"

Later, others skimming the conversation key in on the very short and to the point (if crazy) accusation and that becomes real - Shark looks good (and therefore must be right) because Modern Panther doesn't care about certain atrocities.

The Legendary Shark

Unbelievable.

I challenge the idea that something like the Holocaust can be offset by something like vaccination, as if it's just a numbers game, and I'm the bad guy?

Every human life is precious, every single one, and I will not apologise for believing that nor forgive the millions taken in the name of government - in the name of anything.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 January, 2017, 02:57:28 PM
Unbelievable.

Yes. You are. You've crossed a line, Shark. Doubling down on the stupidity and adding some faux outrage into the bargain over a reprehensible position you invented and attributed to another poster simply because they disagreed with you isn't helping.

The Legendary Shark

"...when absolute numbers of violent deaths are viewed as a proportion of world population."

Invented?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 January, 2017, 03:17:22 PM
Invented?

"Wilfully misinterpreted", if it makes you feel any better about yourself.

The Legendary Shark

I feel just fine about myself, thank you. Not that it has anything to do with the argument. Still, if that's all you've got...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Meanwhile, in politics, Theresa May has caused another currency nosedive by indicating that the UK is likely to exit the single market.

Personally, I welcome this. The fiction that we're going to get some kind of favourable deal - or any kind of deal - has been underpinning Brexiteer claptrap for years. It's about time this was exploded.

The sooner the reality of EU exit is laid bare, the sooner we can have a second referendum and end this nightmare.