Main Menu

The 2012 COVER OF THE YEAR Vote.

Started by Pete Wells, 14 December, 2012, 08:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

1: 1771a Chris westons stunning aniversary cover if i had one complaint its that it should have been the full version...but its still amazing

2 1786: Iconic...perfect the best way to end John burns run on Nikolai dante

3 1791 see 2 except for simon fraser...

dishonourable mention to the worst cover of the year 1765...seriously steve...you're better than that

Zarjazzer

1.1811 D'Israeli
2.1804 Cliff Robinson
3.1772 Jon Davis-Hunt

Wow.So many great covers.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

oshii

Blimey.

It has been a really good year for covers hasn't it?  I had thought 1811 would be my clear winner, but now I look at them all, I think that's not going to make the top 3. 

1) 1802.  A great big Dredd chin.  What the hell more could you want.  Brilliant.
2) 1786.  Dante by John Burns.  Just beautiful
3) 1775.  Zaucer of Zilk.  I do love me a bit of McCarthy.

To be honest though, I could have 4 or 5 completely different top 3s, it's been that good a year.

Spikes

A toughy alright, but..

1.) Prog 1802 - Ben Willsher. A lovely Dredd image. Nuff said.
2.) Prog 1771b - Mick McMahon. Its Mick. Back in the prog. Where he belongs.
3.) Prog 1785 - King Carlos. Sexy Mama!

Jim_Campbell

1) 1811 - Reminds me of 2000AD covers of old. That's proper science-fiction, that is!

2) 1767 - gorgeous. Even in thumbnail here, the way the colours serve the composition is immediately apparent. And then you get to the detail...

3) 1786 - for all that Simon Fraser is The Man on Dante, I think this is the image I will take away with me of the Russian Rogue, now that we will meet no more.

That was a hell of a year, wasn't it? Even the stuff I didn't like, I didn't dislike, it just wasn't as good as the other stuff that was running at the time.

Hats off to Matt and all the droids for sterling work under the Mighty One's tyrannical yoke!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

1) 1781- made me feel 15 years old looking at it!
2) 1802- iconic Dredd (and my copy is covered in Thrill Powered signatures to boot)
3) 1810- vintage Clint / old Skool Thrill-bomb.

mygrimmbrother

1st: Prog 1867 - Tiernen Trevallion (Absalom), because he's my new favourite 2000AD artist by miles and can do no wrong.
2nd: Prog 1802 - Ben Willsher, because it's an epic portrait of Joe that brings to mind 'America'.
3rd: Prog 1791 - The final Dante cover by Simon Fraser, because it was a great elegiac scene, beautifully coloured, and he was confident enough to not even include any of the wonderful characters from that strip!

a chosen rider

Ack, just three?  So hard...  Okay, before I wibble and change my mind yet again:

1. 1791 (final Dante, Simon Fraser)
2. 1781 (Dark Judges, Henry Flint)
3. 1802 (Dredd face, Ben Willsher)

Honourable mentions: 1767, 1772, 1786, 1807, 1811.  To name but a few.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

David Broughton

This was tough because they are all great covers.

1st: 1811 - D'Israeli.
2nd: 1802 - Ben Willsher.
3rd: 1771a - Chris Weston.

HM: 1781- Henry Flint.

Kerrin

1st.  1811. Pure unadulterated D'Israeli genius.
2nd. 1767. Class from the Trevallion art unit.
3rd.  1805. Another D'Israeli. I make no apology, it's a fantastic image.

What a year! We really are lucky little blighters.

WhitBloke

Process of elimination?  Failed.  Ranking them in my head, rationally?  Failed.  Divorcing my opinion of the cover from the strip within?  ...well, I managed that part, just.
Went with gut in the end, like I should have started with!

1 - 1776 - Chris Weston - Because, on reflection, the Chaos Bug ramp-up remains the key Dredd 3D event of the year for me and this just captures it so bloody well.
2 - 1791 - Simon Fraser - ...because parting is such sweet sorrow.
3 - 1774 - Mark Harrison - A scorcher that practically demands interest in the contents.

HM - The first three of Ben Wilsher's covers.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

MercZ

1. 1811 - D'Israeli: I love the way this one comes together. 

2. 1774 - Harrison: Same reasons as above, plus dinosaurs and planes.

3. 1771a - Weston : Nice character collage

I had only jumped on late this year, but there were nice covers this year from what I see on those previews.

Daveycandlish

Extremely hard to narrow it down to top three, but here goes;

in first place Chris Westons' 1776
second, the brillaint John Burns 1786
and finally good old Absolom in 1767

Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably change my mind. So don't ask.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Alski

1 - 1772 - Jon Davis Hunt

2 - 1771a - Chris Weston(this is almost guaranteed to win)

3 - 1774 - Mark harrison
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

BPP

1st) 1811 - D'Israeli  - (okay, why is Frank still standing when the heavier taxi is blown away? WHO CARES!)

2nd) 1781 - Henry Flint - like last December's 'explosion Dredd' this just SCREAMS 'comics' in the best way.

3rd) 1786 - John Burns - Glorious. How we'll remember Dante. Top of the World.

Special mention to Ben Whilsher's crowded covers (1768, 1792, 1796) which may not get many votes but, like Henry Flint, have a great sense of composition to grab the eye.

Dammit we need 10 votes.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd