Main Menu

Greetings, Earthlets!

Started by Telephasic Workshop, 23 December, 2015, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephasic Workshop

Hi all

Another returning reader here. I first got into 2000AD in the 80s, via my older brother who passed me his old copies. Early memories include Robo-Hunter and Skizz (which blew my mind because of the familiar setting). First Dredd I remember was Love Story, which I remember primarily for Ian Gibson's art and his depiction of the Big Meg. The cubes stood out in particular, I spent years wondering what the cubes actually were and thinking that perps were incarcerated in some sort of computer.

Subscribed in 1992, just before a jump-on issue (Prog 780, I think) and in time for Judgement Day, which convinced me to take the Meg too. I used to cut out the artwork and make them into collages on my exercise books at school. One of them had Dredd astride his Lawmaster yelling 'you're history, creeps'. That was for science classes, obviously.

I stuck around for a couple of years, loving Dredd, Stront, Rogue and the usual crew but drifted away in the late 90s. Dropped back in a few times since then and subscribed to Tooth and Meg again a few months back. Back for good now and catching up via Case Files and other collections as much as funds permit.

Nearly twenty years away though. Could've done a stretch on Titan in that time.

sheridan

Great story of your first experiences of Tooth.

I loved Skizz for much of the same reason, though I'd never been to Brum at that point.  Funny how little gasometers and deserted canals appear in fiction - I can only think of Skizz and that episode of Eastenders where Dirty Den (apparently) dies.

Welcome back!

Telephasic Workshop

Thanks for the welcome!

Agreed about the industrial landscape; it's a perfect setting but seriously underused. There's even a comment about it in Skizz, where they all end up at Spaghetti Junction and Skizz mentions that they have public art like it on his planet but people are't allowed to drive on it or something.