Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Quote from: robert_ellis on 13 January, 2017, 04:20:05 PM
I remember reading the Sean Philips Armitage in a Megazine floppy and being blown away. I'm always amazed by people knocking this series when it's included all the epics. For those interested Hachette replaced my copy of the Day the Law Died with a fixed copy. How do folks find out what's up next - has Armitage been officially announced?

Future issue info has been mostly pieced together from info given on the Facebook page I think. The Wikipedia page is comprehensive in listing everything known up to now. Still don't know what issue 55 will be though.

BPP

Always felt Sean Philips early 2000ad stuff was style over narrative... Part of the wave of 2000ad trying too hard to be Deadline. In comparison the Armitage stuff that's appeared over the last decade has been solidly good comics, especially the Dredd cameo one.

Helltrekers is top notch. Looking forward to its hardback collection.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

I was under the impression Helltrekers was hated in these parts?

Steve Green

I think that maybe because it ended up on a list of duff stories in the prog.

I'm not saying I love it, but I didn't hate it either.

WhizzBang

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 January, 2017, 03:20:09 PM
I think that maybe because it ended up on a list of duff stories in the prog.

I'm not saying I love it, but I didn't hate it either.

I don't know if it was intentional but it is precisely because of this that the Dead Man worked so well for me. The Dead Man seemed similar at first to Hell Trekkers in that it looked similar and was another Dreddless story set in the Cursed Earth.

Apestrife

Further hints at an extension? On FB The Trip and Dead end got mentioned as Anderson books. I'm thinking Trip probably being something akin to "The Psychic Crime Files" (some later material) and Dead end collecting Cadet Anderson as well as Dead end.

Trent

Good spot Apestrife, that hadn't registered with me. I was too busy tutting at the fact that the respondent for the collection apparently had no knowledge of the Cadet Anderson strips.
Interesting, as it is hard to see where they would fit in the current 80 volumes, so let us hope it is indeed alluding to an extension. There is so much quality material published by Rebellion since the Collection started (Dark Justice, Enceladus, Every Empire Falls, The Cop, Lawless, Angelic, further Anderson etc etc) that it seems a shame they won't be included.
The obvious problem is that with the quality of 2000AD output this is going to be a perennial problem unless the Collection continues ad infinitum which obviouly it can't.

Swerty

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Swerty on 15 January, 2017, 09:42:25 PM
Any news on the next few issues?

Issue 53 is Heavy Metal Dredd
54 Cursed Earth Carnage
55 unknown
56 first of two Armitage volumes
57 unknown
58 Tour of Duty: Mega City Justice
59 unknown
60 Undercover Brothers - Wally Squad, Lenny Zero etc.

IndigoPrime

This also suggests some changes have been made to the running order, judging by the Wikipedia article collecting bits of information about the future of the series. For example, that has Mega-City Justice as #71 (27 September).

Rio De Fideldo

Apologies if this is a stupid question but when is Helltrekkers released? I can't see it on the wiki or on the forthcoming releases list above.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 January, 2017, 10:28:40 AM
This also suggests some changes have been made to the running order, judging by the Wikipedia article collecting bits of information about the future of the series. For example, that has Mega-City Justice as #71 (27 September).

My error, issue 58 is Tour of Duty: Mutants in MC1, and issue 71 wraps up the ToD trilogy with Mega City Justice.

Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 16 January, 2017, 12:14:32 PM
Apologies if this is a stupid question but when is Helltrekkers released? I can't see it on the wiki or on the forthcoming releases list above.

Helltrekkers is included in Cursed Earth Carnage, released on 1st February. I only have vague memories of this from first time round, so looking forward to reading it again given differing opinions being voiced on here.

The Monarch

I wonder if armitage will include city of the dead and if it will fix that awful fuck up the original meg did which made an episode damn near incomprehensible to read. All the pages were in the wrong order it was insane

Rio De Fideldo

Just checked out the Cursed Earth Carnage cover which uses art which was initially used for the cover of Meg 280 by Anthony Williams for the strip Citi-Def. IMO its an odd choice.

I think something from Helltrekkers should have been used. For all its faults the strip was by Wagner and Grant and ran for 29 weeks in the comics first golden age. The strip with moody art from Ortiz and Lalia helped define the look of the Cursed Earth.

Citi-Def is a chiefly forgotten strip which ran for five episodes which Anthony Williams didn't even draw.

I'm assuming, therefore there was a problem with how the Helltrekker art looked when mocked up.

Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree!

I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind this design choice either way.

Trent

See where your coming from Rio but I think it is quite a representative image (citizen rather than judge, big gun and dinosaur) of cursed earth staples.
Can't think of any Helltrekker images that would be as clear and effective as a cover design.