Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 January, 2013, 10:31:35 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 09 January, 2013, 10:28:28 AM
At least you feel like you've actually seen something after a Tarantino film - like it or loath it.

In the case of Kill Bill Pt1, it was mostly my watch I saw, since I kept looking at it to see how much more of this crap I had to sit through...

(Left to my own devices, I'd have switched it off, but I was watching with friends who seemed to be enjoying it.)

Cheers

Jim

Really? I thought that film had some really memorable scenes - when she wakes up in the hospital, when she kills Cottonmoutth and her little girl shows up, the fight with the Crazy 88 being a few examples.
I can understand people not liking it but I'm surprised you found it boring.
Horses for courses I guess.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 09 January, 2013, 10:36:02 AM
I can understand people not liking it but I'm surprised you found it boring.

I think it's a function of not giving the tiniest sliver of a damn about the characters. With no investment in the story, the violence becomes wallpaper. In and of itself, it's not enough.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

I'm with Jim on this - I thought it was sequence of stylish, well-filmed set-pieces but I did not know or care who these people were or why they were trying to kill each other. I had absolutley no interest in seeing if they did actually Kill Bill in part 2 (maybe they just gave him a jazz-mag and a dressing-gown cord?)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 January, 2013, 02:44:24 PM
I had absolutley no interest in seeing if they did actually Kill Bill in part 2 (maybe they just gave him a jazz-mag and a dressing-gown cord?)

That would've been preferable.

von Boom

Because of Kill Bill 2, I don't even bother with 1.

Spikes

I must admit i wasnt keen at all of the Kill Bill's when i first saw them. And plenty others were writing him off around then as well. But i like them quite a lot now.

The things that could bug you about Tarantino - the homages, the self indulgence, the dialogue - at times, Tarantino himself, work for me in Kill Bill. But i was hoping that he'd finally got it all out of his system after that. Though if he did that, what would be left?
After watching Inglourious Basterds recently i still found it to be mean spirited, nasty and silly. I doubt itll grow on me.

I, Cosh

I thoroughly enjoyed Kill Bill 1. I thought it was a sequence of stylish, well filmed set-pieces each riffing on a distinct sub-genre and I didn't need to know or care who any of these people were as long as they were trying to kill each other.

Kill Bill 2 was all of the above without the fighting so it was pish.

I just noticed that my local Cineworld is showing Reservoir Dogs next Tuesday so I think I'll try and make it along to that as it's years since I've seen it.
We never really die.

Spikes

He needs to pull his finger out and release the Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair package that was promised yonks ago.

Tiplodocus

yEAH, i NEVER BOTHERED WITH kILL bILL 2 AFTER kb1.

fOR ME THE BEST THING ABOUT tARANTINO WAS ALWAYS HIS EAR FOR DIALOGUE (AND HENCE A NICE WEE BIT OF CHARACTER) but there appearred to be none of that in KB1.

Predictably, I thought the opening scene and the Bier Keller scene in Inglorious (as the Daily Mail is wont to call it) where the standouts. Both clever, suspenseful and subtly witty (as pieces of film and as comments on film). Great stuff.

What the fuck Death Proof was all about is anybodies guess though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Went to see Les Mis tonight.

I enjoyed it, but many didn't; about 30-40 walkouts, probably a quarter of the entire audience(!).

Goaty

The Quick And The Dead on More4, very enjoyable!

Hoagy

I bwatched Kindergarten Cop the other day and noticed it was rated a 15!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

shaolin_monkey

Harold and Kumars 3D Xmas.  Jesus Christ, why did I bother? What a fucking dismal excuse for a film.  You have to be seriously off your face to think that film is funny.

NapalmKev

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 12 January, 2013, 10:13:10 AM
Harold and Kumars 3D Xmas.  Jesus Christ, why did I bother? What a fucking dismal excuse for a film.  You have to be seriously off your face to think that film is funny.

Agree, not a great film at all. I quite enjoyed the first two films though.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Spikes

Peter Weyland, and his robot brood's favourite film - Lawrence of Arabia. Epic, sweeping, majestic - you all know the score - literally. But by 'eck, it doesnt half look a treat when you re-visit it on BR.
The desert scenes always looked like an Alien planet on this film, but to see them on this disc is amazing. Much of this film looks like it was shot yesterday. Excellent stuff!