Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Grugz, the die is cast. There is no going back.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Come now, once they abolish VAT on fuel and get rid of those pesky human rights (did I read you right there Grugz? That's a positive?) you can aim for a sort of Fury Road setup. That'll brighten things up no end.

And at least you don't have the Mail agitating for you to leave the EU anymore. They've moved on to us now, more proof that the Irish Daily Mail really, really hates its readers.

Grugz

Quote from: ZenArcade on 01 July, 2016, 09:41:10 PM
Pay through your nose (30k) for a university degree; go into a job market where you'll be challenged to say the least; no step on to the housing ladder and if you throw your arms up, no free movement to go somewhere else in ther hope of making a life. God help you if you're Young. Z

aren't those first 3 already true before brexit?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

GordonR

Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 09:09:57 PM
  as for all this "brouhaha" no one can accurately predict what is going to happen or, the recent reccessions

Apart, of course, from the many, many people who totally predicted the 2008 crash and its beginnings in the snowballing financial horror show of US sub prime mortgage market.

ZenArcade

It's those seditious fucking paddys who're to blame. Paul Dacre must be having multiple orgasms as we speak. Z

sheridan

Quote from: Grugz on 01 July, 2016, 09:47:01 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 01 July, 2016, 09:41:10 PM
Pay through your nose (30k) for a university degree; go into a job market where you'll be challenged to say the least; no step on to the housing ladder and if you throw your arms up, no free movement to go somewhere else in ther hope of making a life. God help you if you're Young. Z

aren't those first 3 already true before brexit?
May have misread it, but I think the point was that the first three are the current situation but what's changed is that their will be no escape for pastures new to try to make the best of a bad situation.

ZenArcade

The first three courtesy of the scumbags who have just brought the youth of your nation the bonus treat of the fourth Grugz. You literally couldn't get that fancy new Chinese super computer to design a bigger more defining cluster fuck than the professional (I know...we're all a bit tired of professionals) classes of your nation have visited upon you.  I'd laugh but to be honest it is not funny. Z

Professor Bear

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 July, 2016, 09:29:30 PMThe UK's not done a major trade deal alone since the 1970s. It hasn't the expertise. It hasn't the numbers.

What about that Chinese one we just did?  Surely that will save us?

ZenArcade

The Chinese will of course save the UK, why wouldn't they....it's not as if they don't have a memory of positive interventions in their country, such as the time British entrepreneurs tried to drug addict a huge portion of their population. Ding doing eh. Z

JayzusB.Christ

Very sorry to hear about your cancer, Trent. I really hope you're coping ok.   

I'm no expert on economics, but I doubt too many countries will be gleefully rushing in to trade with Britain for a long, long time.  You just don't have the resources to be successfully self-sufficient any more - I heard a lot of bullshit about a 'return to Britain's glory days' from the Leave campaign, but what were those glory days?  The working class and the colonies suffering to keep the upper classes in the opulent lifestyle they were used to? It doesn't work like that these days.

You had a healthy, modern economy and now you don't, and the Brexit process hasn't even started in earnest yet.  Things are not looking good.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trent

Thanks for the kind words folks, I'm good and enjoying life more than ever. No plans to go anywhere soon - still got the Mega Collection (plus extension!) to complete.
It is certainly an interesting time, you just have to hope that decency prevails domestically but the economic mess is harder to reconcile. The tales of casual racism on the thread make me ashamed.
Overall though, it is the young who will be most affected sadly.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI'm good and enjoying life more than ever. No plans to go anywhere soon - still got the Mega Collection (plus extension!) to complete.

Nice one, Trent, and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.  A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with a brain tumour after years of battling with skin cancer; but in the meantime he's met the love of his life and got engaged, and I've never see him more content with life.

I should point out that I am a very frequent visitor to the UK and have a lot of connections there.  My mother is English and I have more English relatives than Irish ones; and my brother and sister are both long-term UK residents with long-term English partners.  I like Britain and always felt at home there, and it pains me to see it turn quickly into an unwelcoming, isolationist economic backwater.

EDIT - though now I think of it, next time I go and stay with my brother in his forest cabin, my euros should get me a lot more cans of Karpackie to drink there.  :)

EDIT EDIT - If Poland still want to export beer to Britain. :(
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Quote from: Trent on 01 July, 2016, 11:14:48 PM

Overall though, it is the young who will be most affected sadly.

Actually I reckon it's our generation (40 - 50 something) that will be most affected.  The current generation of pensioners are probably the last best the way things are going.  Those of use who will be retiring in the next twenty or so years are looking to be most affected by the 'reforms' that have hollowed out pension provisions.  At the same time we have far less time to address those shortcomings and the costs are going to be far higher.

The young are likely to be affected but will have the most time to adjust to the situation.  They haven't generated the standards of living that need to be curtailed so much and have far fewer commitments.  They will only ever know that flat and challenging labour market that they come into whereas we have known periods of opportunity.

The next ten years are likely to be the hardest.  As Jayzus quite rightly pointed out, we joined the Common Market as our Empire was dismantling.  We no longer have the captive market we once had or the resources of other nations to exploit to the same extent.  How exactly are the current crop of politicians going to square that circle?

Goaty

And now UKIP leader Nigel Farage to stand down.

Are they leaving the sinking ship?

JayzusB.Christ

In a word: yes.

Another fucking coward who won't face up to cleaning up his mess. That said, good riddance.