Main Menu

Rebellion buys classic comic archive

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 25 August, 2016, 10:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodigal2

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 25 August, 2016, 11:20:51 AM
Quote from: Prodigal2 on 25 August, 2016, 10:56:56 AM
I never could quite get my head round all the legal delineation issues regarding IPC/Fleetway etc.

Presumably anyone featured in "Albion" would be excluded?

If I'm reading the news correctly (and remembering the legal ins-and-outs correctly), you're looking at:

Rebellion now own every IPC character/comic published from 1970 (don't recall the month, but I'm sure there was a cut-off early in the year) to date, with the exclusion of perhaps some creator-owned works and things like the strips that originated in the New Eagle which are, AFAIK, all still owned by the Dan Dare Corporation.

Also excluded are - unless the legal situation has changed since I last checked - a number of specifically-named characters (I think it was 26, including characters like the Leopard of Lime Street) who remain with IPC (now Time Inc. UK/Time, which gives you your link to DC Comics, as DC are a subsidiary of Time now).

Any IPC comics pre-1970 belong to IPC/Time, so something like Valiant or Tiger and their strips would probably be off the table as they launched pre-1970, again unless there's some legal changes in the last few years.

It will give Rebellion access to an ENORMOUS archive of material and is a fantastic move for fans of classic British comics. I must admit to a small pang of jealousy at Robo-Keef's enviable position - what a treasure trove to choose from! - but seeing a big publisher behind this material who is prepared to actually use it is brilliant.

AC that's a beautifully succinct and clear exposition.

Thank you sir.

Tjm86

Quote from: Pyroxian on 25 August, 2016, 11:30:50 AM
Any IPC comics pre-1970 belong to IPC/Time, so something like Valiant or Tiger and their strips would probably be off the table as they launched pre-1970, again unless there's some legal changes in the last few years.

Drat, so no Look and Learn then (Hoping for a Trigan Empire reprint...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AP,_Fleetway_and_IPC_Comics_publications

Don't those nice folks at The Book Palace currently have the rights to that?

Professor Bear

Excellent news, though it's a shame about the Tiger properties, as it means no Hot Shot Hamish/Mighty Mouse, Death Wish, Jet Ace Logan, Billy's Boots, Johnny Cougar/Splash Gorton... although Roy Of The Rovers is a Tiger character, and that article seems to suggest he's Rebellion's property now.

Girls comics will likely be the best starting point for reprint, as there's a lot of stuff in Jinty that pre-empted the YA dystopian genre by decades and stands a good chance of finding an audience outside retro comics fans.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 August, 2016, 12:14:19 PM
Excellent news, though it's a shame about the Tiger properties, as it means no Hot Shot Hamish/Mighty Mouse, Death Wish, Jet Ace Logan, Billy's Boots, Johnny Cougar/Splash Gorton... although Roy Of The Rovers is a Tiger character, and that article seems to suggest he's Rebellion's property now.

Girls comics will likely be the best starting point for reprint, as there's a lot of stuff in Jinty that pre-empted the YA dystopian genre by decades and stands a good chance of finding an audience outside retro comics fans.

IIRC, Roy - like Dan Dare - was spun off legally years ago, so is separate from Tiger.

Colin YNWA

Wow, just wow. There is potentially a lot to get excited about here. Just read the news when looking at the BBC website at lunch and dashed straight over to see I'm late to the party!

Clearly a lot to still learn, how this will all be used, what they own and what they'll see. It'll also, as a couple have mentioned, be interesting to see how this affects stuff that's doing the rounds elsewhere. What will happen to Hookjaw, what about the Battle reprints from Titan and more 

Based on what Amstor Computer says does 2000ad own Doomlord now??? Do they?? DO THEY??? And if so can we have a complete collection please pretty please with extra please sauce....

... I need to calm down but very happy to learn that such a great achieve now rests with a company that really seems to value and know how to use this stuff. With a doff of the cap to MaryandDavid for keeping the flame burning for so long I give a mightly HOOORRRAAAHHHHH in anticipation of what might come of this.

Here's to the future of thrills of the past.

The Amstor Computer

Doomlord should still be with the DDC, as it started in New Eagle which they seem to own (stuff like Death Wish or Thirteenth Floor aside).

Maybe one day?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 25 August, 2016, 12:54:25 PM
Doomlord should still be with the DDC, as it started in New Eagle which they seem to own (stuff like Death Wish or Thirteenth Floor aside).

Maybe one day?

Damnit in my celebratory haste I missed the key work 'exclusion' in you post. Teach me to get all excited... mind still exceptionally exciting news.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Tjm86 on 25 August, 2016, 12:03:39 PM
Quote from: Pyroxian on 25 August, 2016, 11:30:50 AM

Drat, so no Look and Learn then (Hoping for a Trigan Empire reprint...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AP,_Fleetway_and_IPC_Comics_publications

Don't those nice folks at The Book Palace currently have the rights to that?

Looks like it - but £70 a book, and 12 in the series is out of my price range.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 August, 2016, 12:56:20 PM
Damnit in my celebratory haste I missed the key work 'exclusion' in you post. Teach me to get all excited... mind still exceptionally exciting news.

It is indeed! I don't envy their repro droid though - fresh lube and an extended coaching session from Tharg will be in order, I think!

maryanddavid

Really excellent news. Rebellion have really shown in the last few years they they can package and sell classic British material so I', looking forward to a deluge of it!
13TH floor Case Files Keith? ;)

Trout

Huge congratulations to everyone involved!

Now, how the hell do I afford this? The mailing costs alone... Keith, I stand ready to helm your North American office. It's the only way to keep shoes on my children's feet!

Dash Decent

They can't do 13th Floor case Files until they get the Sweeny Toddler Case Files out of the way.

Quick Robo-Keef, commission Mr Bolland esq to draw the cover for the first deluxe hardback immediately!

(Sweeny - first appearance 1973!)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Dash Decent on 25 August, 2016, 01:53:09 PM
(Sweeny - first appearance 1973!)

Also working out dates - Frankie Stein - first appearance 1973 - yay!

Grimly Feendish - first appearance 1964... aww :(

Fantastic news, although I suspect that actually figuring out and negotiating exactly what they've got the rights to is going to take months of work - good luck, Robo-Keef!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Marbles

Gutted if Leopard from Lime Street not in this deal, likewise Billy's boots - which originated in Scorcher in the 70's prior to merger with Tiger. But generally this is fantastic news :)
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Pyroxian

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 25 August, 2016, 01:08:39 PM
It is indeed! I don't envy their repro droid though - fresh lube and an extended coaching session from Tharg will be in order, I think!

Might be why they're looking for a new one...

http://jobs.rebellion.co.uk/vacancies/245/RebJobs/junior_graphic_designer/