Main Menu

Meg 368: Pacific Grim

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 16 January, 2016, 02:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

'never-quite-clicked Dolman' where's he been since DoC I wonder?
DDT did a job on me

The Adventurer

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 January, 2016, 07:54:29 PM
Only read Dredd and Demon Nic so far.

I was really confused by the first three pages of Demon Nic. It seemed a non-sequitur with the rest of the story. So who is the guy with the ginger hair and why does Nic suddenly have horns (ok I know he is a demon, but he doesn't have them elsewhere). Hopefully a re-read will make it clearer.

It's a flashback.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

BPP

Finally found an evening t sit down and read through the 8 epsoides of Demon Nic.

Easily one of the best things to have appeared in 2015. The art is sublime, a joyous combination of Hewlit and Hunt with suitably chunky Mignola lines. The story is fun, nothing revolutionary as a tale but completely lifted by great plotting, wonderful sparse joke filled monologues and nicely placed temporal shifts (the talk with dead friends, the origins tale. Nic himself is a very modern 2000ad character (old, worn, cynical, bothered) and hell yes I hope this returns. When you see the US market get all excited by Headlopper and then read this you sort of sigh that this isn't the work getting the plaudits and sales. Should Paul ever stumble this way (I imagine that's doubtful) he has my deep thanks for a great great comic.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

Paul Grist has apparently started work on a second run for Demon Nic, but is trying to focus on getting the new KANE book out, plus a few issues of Mudman.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 March, 2016, 10:43:19 AM
...but is trying to focus on getting the new KANE book out, plus a few issues of Mudman.

He's been saying that for years now!

RaggedMan

If I ever win the lottery I am going to shower Paul Grist in gold so that he may continue Jack Staff and Kane. In his downtime he can work on Nic and Mudman.
This is not a joke.
Though I may have a hard time explaining it to my better half.

Proudhuff

Quote from: RaggedMan on 22 March, 2016, 10:38:52 PM
If I ever win the lottery I am going to shower Paul Grist in gold so that he may continue Jack Staff and Kane. In his downtime he can work on Nic and Mudman.
This is not a joke.
Though I may have a hard time explaining it to my better half.

Sign a prenuptial? 
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

So my 50p sale Meg almost-catch-up heads towards conclusion.  Just wanted to register some praise for Demon Nic. I don't really know how I'd have taken it over 8 months, but over a few leisurely weeks it has been absolutely fantastic. It's very familiar territory of course, but just so deftly and charmingly done. Great characters, memorable designs, sharp but not overworked dialogue, distinctive voices, interesting twists and absolutely beautiful page layouts.  My first Paul Grist comic, but not my last. Welcome back in the Meg anytime.

While this edges into 2016, it's really one of the standout strips of one of the Meg's strongest ever runs, the latter half of 2015. Between Demon Nic, the sublime Lawless, el Maldito, some decent Anderson, some strong Black Museum... Just a fantastic lineup. The articles were good, Lob, Freaks and Tyranny Rex in the floppies, the end of the blight that was New Harlem Heroes (seriously Tharg, once was enough).

Hawkmumbler

If you want more wonderful Paul Grist, I can't recommend Jack Staff enough! Quite simply one of my all time favorite comics, available in 4 lovely (and quite cheap) TPB's.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 28 July, 2016, 09:27:21 AM
If you want more wonderful Paul Grist, I can't recommend Jack Staff enough! Quite simply one of my all time favorite comics, available in 4 lovely (and quite cheap) TPB's.

Yep this is true.