Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 23 September, 2016, 02:39:57 AM
Also, check out Crusher Joe if you haven't! (You mentioned Dirty Pair before, so you'd dig it) - I'll throw in two more, Gunsmith Cats and Bastard!! Also Mazinkaiser.
I really SHOULD have seen Crusher Joe by now, being the massive, shameless fan boy of Dirty Pair that I am. A pity Dark Horse never translated anymore DP novels, let alone considered Crusher Joe, and Diskotek seem to have no interest in branching into the UK to release DP and CJ on blu-ray here. Damn shame.

Hawkmumbler

And come to think of it, Crusher Joe and crew made a cameo appearance in Dirty Pair: Project Eden. Their first animation debut?

JamesC

Quote from: Michael Knight on 23 September, 2016, 04:42:24 AM
Barb Wire! Was on tv and its worse than i ever thought!
:lol:

I remember renting this on video. There was an extra feature on the tape of Pammy doing a striptease to make up for the lack of nudity in the film.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 23 September, 2016, 11:51:37 AM
And come to think of it, Crusher Joe and crew made a cameo appearance in Dirty Pair: Project Eden. Their first animation debut?

Crusher Joe the movie is from 83, and is a little older than any Dirty Pair anime. But fittingly enough, Dirty Pair's first animated appearance is in a cameo in Crusher Joe.  :)

Hawkmumbler

Aha! Knew it was one way or another, and Crusher Joe shall be on my watch list this weekend.

PsychoGoatee

Very cool! After the 83 movie Crusher Joe has a couple OVAs from 89, the movie is the best of 'em I'd say, all fun though.

NapalmKev

The Wicker Man starring Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee.

Some aspects of my memory seem to be horrendous as I (mistakenly) recalled it being set in the Westcountry! More songs than I remembered as well.

Anyway, it still holds up well and is far better than the modern remake!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Professor Bear

Both film versions of James Hilton's Lost Horizon, the novel which brought to cultural significance the concept of Shangri-La, a hidden paradise high in the Asian mountain ranges.
Both suffer from being overlong, meandering, and never really showing us the transitions of characters from warmongering capitalist dogs to lentil-munching communists, but while the 1937 Frank Capra version establishes much of the iconic imagery that the 1973 version replicates, the latter version does at least add musical numbers to the mix.  I think there was a conscious effort -ala the Wizard of Oz - to create a contrast between the dour outside world of vast deserts, desolate snowy mountains and gathering stormclouds of world war and the bright, joyful green hills of Shangri-La, but even once the characters get to Shangri-La they just fart about for twenty minutes before a song shows up, and even then it's part of a performance within the film rather than an actual musical number.
Burt Bacharach does the songs and John Gielgud stars in the pivotal role of "Chang", so you can guess as to the movie's objective quality, though despite this I really enjoyed it, even though, as I have already mentioned, it is a terrible film.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 September, 2016, 12:25:43 PMunless you include Robotech. Which I don't.

I agree.  Robotech made Macross silly.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 25 September, 2016, 02:49:11 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 September, 2016, 12:25:43 PMunless you include Robotech. Which I don't.

I agree.  Robotech made Macross silly.
Pretty sure Do You Remember Love?, as great as it is, needed no help on that front. :lol:

radiator

Keanu.

Had high hopes for this as I really like what I've seen of Key and Peele, but, while not a bad film, it was a little underwhelming after a promising start. Even for a comedy, it felt like it had some tonal problems, and the script felt a bit messy and nonsensical, like it was two or three drafts away from being done.

As for the comedy, there's simply not enough jokes that land, and the ones that do (cat calendar, George Michael stuff) were flogged to death. They also did that really annoying thing where they'd make a jokey reference to something, then immediately have a character state out loud exactly what the reference was, as if they were afraid thickos wouldn't get it otherwise. It's a movie pet-hate of mine - there must be an entry for this on TV Tropes somewhere(?).

Sad to say, but for the genre of 'stoner action comedy featuring two dweebs and their weed dealer pal getting mixed up in the world of organised crime', it doesn't come close to Pineapple Express (itself not an amazing film).

2.5/5

YakuzaFingerChop

Don't Breathe

Some poor people try and rob a blind man of his money. Blind man isn't having it.

Don't watch the trailers. Don't read the reviews. Don't even breathe. Just go and see it. I took a mate who isn't even a fan of horror and she loved it. It felt like a nostalgia trip back to the time of classic horror movies. I was expecting a generic predictable horror film, and I came out so impressed that this could be my top horror pick of 2016.

9/10

Theblazeuk

QuoteDon't read the reviews....9/10

TOO LATE

I, Cosh

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 21 August, 2016, 10:23:01 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 16 August, 2016, 07:22:23 PM
One of the very best Sci-Fi movies made and that soundtrack LP takes pride of place in my collection.
I also found out that No Man's Sky scorers and increasingly-interesting post-rockers 65daysofstatic did a Silent Running rescore a couple of years ago...
Can't say I've listened to the album in isolation but I saw them perform this at the time. It wasn't a great experience: the screen was too dark to make out much of what was going on and what dialogue there is in the film was drowned out by even the most gently atmospheric effects. They did a live accompaniment to a dance piece at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago which worked a lot better. Presumably down to the more collaborative nature of the enterprise.

Summer is outdoor cinema season round here. Saw The Nice Guys on the plush big big screen right outside the Munster without really knowing much about it and found it thoroughly entertaining. Both leads made good unpleasant bastards and it bowled along at great pace, rarely taking the obvious path. Didn't realise going in that it was both a 70s period piece and from the same writer/director as Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang which has a very similar tone and against-type lead performance.

The setting for The Cabinet of Dr Caligari was far more interesting. The roof of a disused grain silo overlooking the port. The film itself was one of those cases of something being more interesting to see than really enjoyable but I was glad I watched it. It's hardly a groundbreaking observation that watching an old silent film can be a bit difficult to adapt to for a modern audience but it definitely takes a bit of an effort to get past just how different the style of performance is, the outrageous mugging and the heavy makeup.

The story is slight and doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense, this is all about mood and look. It's clear that the production design is still rooted firmly in the theatre, as painted backdrops fill in for the environs of the town. Nothing is allowed to be naturalistic. Both the backgrounds and the physical sets are always twisted and angular, creating an oppressive, claustrophic mood. Doors and windows jut out at crazy angles. Furniture is too bog. Simple tricks of lighting and perspective make it impossible to tell if a stairway leads up or down, while dark alleyways exude menace. Any journey out of the town is along twisted, looping paths reflecting the mental state of our fevered hero.

So much invetion and artistry on display. Really great stuff from that point of view but probably not worth the effort if you're looking for some sort of psychological horror or if you don't get to see it from ten stories over the Rhine.

We never really die.

Satanist

I cant decide what was worse the new Ghostbusters or the new Independence Day.

Now I don't mind women in films so don't go there but what I do mind is unfunny comedies and wasted opportunity. Why reboot and then have the original cast turn up as different characters? Its not bad its just there, forever being bland and unfunny.

As for ID I never liked the original so that was going to have to go some to impress and it failed. The bit near the start with all the basil explaining why Will Smith isn't in it is so fucking clunky I'd rather they just turned to camera and stated wanted to much cash.

Next up will be 31 and I suspect I will have to be in the right frame of mind for that one as I don't like Rob Zombies previous but as Malcolm Mcdowells in it fuck it!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Goaty

As poor tonight, so double bill of A Walk Among the Tombstones and The Guest on Netflix, both excellent and dark films.

The Guest, which I see again, it so brilliant and brutal. Other film was good, as thought Liam Neeson was great in it after last few silly action films.