Main Menu

When Are you Gonna Stop Watching Those Cartoons?!

Started by HdE, 23 June, 2015, 06:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 21 April, 2017, 10:50:49 AM
Any love for Dimension W? I'm hooked on it right now

I'm REALLY interested in that one. That said, I only review shows that I can get hold of physical copies of. So until Dimension W gets an on-disc release, it's not going to appear.

That said, there's been some disheartening developments of late. With major advertisers pulling away form Youtube, what little regular revenue the channel was making has now completely evaporated.

Considering each video takes a MINIMUM of 8 hours to prepare, it's time to re-evaluate. And drastically.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

Dimension-W is getting a DVD/BD release from Anime ltd this summer.

HdE

Duly noted.

Unfortunately, I've just heard some rather crappy news about a change in Youtube monetization.

As you might have seen, my revenue has been throttled. It turns out Youtube now requires smaller channels to have 10,000 lifetime views before they'll allow ads to run on videos.

Translation: This just became a dead loss venture.

I'm going to sit back and contemplate my next move for a bit. But it's now clear to me that Youtube isn't a viable platform for a channel doing my kind of traffic.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Quote from: HdE on 23 April, 2017, 11:08:59 PM
As you might have seen, my revenue has been throttled. It turns out Youtube now requires smaller channels to have 10,000 lifetime views before they'll allow ads to run on videos.

How are off are you?

Professor Bear

My two bits based on watching far too many YT channels punch above their weight is to change all your thumbnails for your vids to ecchi shots and make the titles potshots or shoutouts to more famous Youtubers who generate similar content, to encourage YT algorithms to paste your work alongside popular channels and garner drive-by clicks.
Also make your vids family-friendly - no swearing - as this will stop them being flagged by YT's ad content filter (basically if you swear or show unsuitable content, YT automatically filters roughly 85% of ads from ever running on your vid, meaning less revenue).

It actually seems to be a pretty good time to try and grow your channel, as YT's changed a few rules seemingly arbitrarily and destroyed a lot of long-running feeds overnight.  Someone has to fill the void and let weaboos know what moe ecchi is out there to fap to.

HdE

Just to give some inight into how broken Youtube really is:

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 May, 2017, 03:04:37 PM
My two bits based on watching far too many YT channels punch above their weight is to change all your thumbnails for your vids to ecchi shots and make the titles potshots or shoutouts to more famous Youtubers who generate similar content, to encourage YT algorithms to paste your work alongside popular channels and garner drive-by clicks.

Nope. Not doing that. For one thing, I generally hate boobs 'n' bum style anime, and for another, I take great pride in not being a complete dick.

Also make your vids family-friendly - no swearing - as this will stop them being flagged by YT's ad content filter (basically if you swear or show unsuitable content, YT automatically filters roughly 85% of ads from ever running on your vid, meaning less revenue).

True fact - none of my videos have ever been flagged as 'advertiser unfriendly.' Not even the ones where I run my potty mouth.

I actually saw the shift toward 'ad friendly' content coming a mile off when I saw how the site was becoming a shoutbox for the likes of Laci Green and her opponents. That was provoking some MASSIVE debate and a lot of traffic on the site, and I knew policy changes of some sort would be imminent. So I'd already made a conscious decision to re-brand the content and make it as unobjectionable as possible.

It actually seems to be a pretty good time to try and grow your channel, as YT's changed a few rules seemingly arbitrarily and destroyed a lot of long-running feeds overnight.  Someone has to fill the void and let weaboos know what moe ecchi is out there to fap to.

That's a good idea. For another channel. That isn't mine.

HdE

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 11 May, 2017, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: HdE on 23 April, 2017, 11:08:59 PM

How are off are you?

Whups! Almost missed this.

Currently, I need around 2030 views to meet that target.

HOWEVER! It's important to mention that the way views work and get recorded is actually quite involved on Youtube. Simply clicking a video and watching part of it doesn't really help much. In fact, depending on the length of the view, it may not even be recorded at all.

What really helps the channel a lot is if folks click on a video, or a playlist, and watch the whole thing from start to finish. Not just because it racks up those views, but because viewing a video in its entirety actually injects data into Youtube's engagement algorithm. That's what determines how high the video places in search rankings, and whether other people see it.

Comments and likes help, too. Although I've been deleting quite a few of those, of late. People acting like knobs on my channel aren't even remotely tolerated.

I'd suggest creating a playlist of all your videos, then asking the kind folk here to open it in their browser and let it play away on mute in the background (that's if they don't want to watch of course) You will need less than 100 people to do that, and considering this thread has over 6k views it's not impossible.

HdE

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 11 May, 2017, 10:52:44 PM
I'd suggest creating a playlist of all your videos, then asking the kind folk here to open it in their browser and let it play away on mute in the background (that's if they don't want to watch of course) You will need less than 100 people to do that, and considering this thread has over 6k views it's not impossible.

Ultimately, I'd rather folks watched my videos because they sincerely wanted to. That said, I'm way ahead of you on playlists. There are several already available on the channel.

In all honesty, 2000 views is a pretty attainable figure looking over my current channel stats. The bigger issue is whether Youtube is worth bothering with at all considering how quickly the landscape changes ver there, and how lacking in transparency they are.

Professor Bear

I don't follow many YooToob Slebs, but of the ones I do (sci-fi, comics and videogaming channels, naturally), three have been impacted by YT's arbitrary rule changes to the point it now interferes with their content, and one has even had his entire income wiped out.
I know, I know - it's tempting to laugh at the idea of "Youtube Celebrities" having to get a real job rather than cruise by on being Internet Famous, but this guy spent half a decade building his audience - hundreds of videos, millions of hits - and was using the revenue to pay for his college tuition, and mere weeks before the changes were introduced had started posting videos showing him moving into his first home with his girlfriend (also a student, so her life just got more expensive, too).  Youtube's careless fuckery is actually derailing lives and threatening people's futures, and if anything that's giving them the benefit of the doubt that they're only being incompetent and haven't been deliberately holding fire on enforcing these terms for years in order to build their brand at the expense of legitimate media creators.

Hopefully this will give rise to a YouTube alternative....which will be good until some billion dollar tech company buys it and f's it up a la YouTube...

HdE

There's a lot of truth in the to comments above, fellas.

What I'll say on the matter is that I'm hearing a LOT of comments from creators on Youtube along lines of 'screw this, we've had enough' and I'm already seeing some channels with huge followings upping sticks and relocating elsewhere.

That's actually my plan. I'll continue to use Youtube, a it's a platform with an established user base (for now - I also see signs that indicate that could change soon.) But I'm going to be migrating to Vid.me as soon as I've cleared my current lettering workload and had a chance to catch my breath. There are some other ventures underway as well, so this is a bit of an unplanned period of plotting out what the next move is.

Frankly, though, I won't be sorry relegate Youtube to a secondary outlet for my videos. Their attitude to communication with the folks who are creating content for their site (and let's not forget - THEY take a substantial financial cut of all revenue) is apalling. And the user base, at its worst, is an ugly thing to deal with. In the last month, I've banned more users than ever and deleted more comments than I think I've actually allowed. You also can't comment on the realities of seeking a financial return for the hours and hours of effort a Youtube channel requires without some dumb shit wading in and accusing you of being a money grabber, making content for the wrong reasons, not being sincere about the stuff you post, etc.

But it's the constant flip flopping of policies and stances on serious matters that's really torn it. This is the SECOND time in as many years that Youtube's behind the scenes nonsense has given me serious cause to stand back, halt video production and consider if the whole venture is worth it. To have not earned a fiver in all this time for my work, and to receive NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER from Youtube, is pretty galling.

sheridan

Quote from: HdE on 12 May, 2017, 12:32:25 AM
Ultimately, I'd rather folks watched my videos because they sincerely wanted to. That said, I'm way ahead of you on playlists. There are several already available on the channel.

In all honesty, 2000 views is a pretty attainable figure looking over my current channel stats. The bigger issue is whether Youtube is worth bothering with at all considering how quickly the landscape changes ver there, and how lacking in transparency they are.

Subscribed, nice, bite-sized chunks, may watch/listen to a few in my lunch hour at work next week.

HdE

Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2017, 09:26:14 PM
Subscribed, nice, bite-sized chunks, may watch/listen to a few in my lunch hour at work next week.

Aw, cheers, dude!

Just to forewarn you, if you're going to be watching at work: while I take pains not to stray into NSFW territory with the videos, I do run my potty mouth on the videos under the 'When Are You Gonna Stop Watching Those Cartoons?!' banner.

Once the title card changes over to 'HdE Does Anime,' we're in less offensive territory, just so as you know.

sheridan

Quote from: HdE on 12 May, 2017, 11:10:26 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2017, 09:26:14 PM

Aw, cheers, dude!

Just to forewarn you, if you're going to be watching at work: while I take pains not to stray into NSFW territory with the videos, I do run my potty mouth on the videos under the 'When Are You Gonna Stop Watching Those Cartoons?!' banner.

Once the title card changes over to 'HdE Does Anime,' we're in less offensive territory, just so as you know.

Thanks for the warning, but no problem - any youtubing during my lunch hour is with earphones in!