Main Menu

How did you first get into 2000ad?

Started by Michael Knight, 16 April, 2017, 07:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Got into it via Judge Dredd, first ones I read were colorized versions of Judge Death story and some others (Eagle comics), and the great Bisley drawn Dredd/Batman story. Then of course came to find 2000AD is full of great stories, and is still going strong.

This was around 2004 that I read those, and got into 2000AD soon after.

Tormunda

Spent the weekend over at my grandmother as a child, went to the newsagent to buy something and picked up issue no2 of 2000AD. (Yes I am that old).
Never got to see issue no1 :)

CalHab

Quote from: positronic on 26 April, 2017, 05:29:04 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 25 April, 2017, 07:48:07 PM
Quote from: positronic on 25 April, 2017, 03:46:01 PM
I have to admit that most of the original IDW material isn't all that good, except for a few of the miniseries

That's a pretty common opinion round these parts ;-)

IDW should probably stick to the miniseries instead of trying to maintain a longer ongoing series. The good ones in my opinion:
MARS ATTACKS JUDGE DREDD
JUDGE DREDD YEAR ONE
JUDGE DREDD MEGA-CITY TWO: CITY OF COURTS
JUDGE ANDERSON
JUDGE DREDD DEVIATIONS: CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (one-shot) - a "What If.. ?" story by any other name

The Rogue Trooper series is pretty good.

positronic

Quote from: CalHab on 26 April, 2017, 08:07:08 AM
The Rogue Trooper series is pretty good.

It might be that I'm just not fond of reboots, and didn't particularly much care for even Dave Gibbons' earlier War Machine/Friday reboot, so... this one got a read, but felt underwhelming to me.

But since it probably justified IDW's reprinting Rogue Trooper Classics in color, everybody wins!

CalHab

Quote from: positronic on 26 April, 2017, 12:49:16 PM
It might be that I'm just not fond of reboots, and didn't particularly much care for even Dave Gibbons' earlier War Machine/Friday reboot, so... this one got a read, but felt underwhelming to me.

But since it probably justified IDW's reprinting Rogue Trooper Classics in color, everybody wins!

I loved War Machine, so you might be onto something there.

JamesC

A huge pile of Titan reprints which my brother borrowed from a friend got me on board.

positronic

Quote from: CalHab on 28 April, 2017, 02:35:44 PM
Quote from: positronic on 26 April, 2017, 12:49:16 PM

I loved War Machine, so you might be onto something there.

As reboots go though... that would hardly be a fair comparison. Although I also didn't know that War Machine was supposed to be a reboot* when I first read it so long ago, so I should really pull it out again and offer it a proper re-assessment.

*[Until much later, when it was decided editorially that it wasn't, after all.]

positronic

Quote from: Tormunda on 26 April, 2017, 07:56:20 AM
Spent the weekend over at my grandmother as a child, went to the newsagent to buy something and picked up issue no2 of 2000AD. (Yes I am that old).
Never got to see issue no1 :)

Neither did Judge Dredd, and he's the star! (now)

positronic

Quote from: JamesC on 28 April, 2017, 02:58:16 PM
A huge pile of Titan reprints which my brother borrowed from a friend got me on board.

It's funny how "reprints" started out as such a good thing when a reader was young and new to comics, way back before trade paperbacks was really even a product category, but after a reader became one of the cognoscenti, a comics insider with an awareness of what's going on in the marketplace, "reprints" became a dirty word ("PFAH! ... reprints !"), and then once you become an older veteran, "reprints" are like meeting an old friend again.

(Although technically, now even first-run trade hardcovers or paperbacks are reprints, and digital comics are a re-something (if not actually "print") -- unless they're digital first or digital exclusives.)

Back in the day, to be seen reading reprints was to be caught "out of the loop", to suffer the embarrassment of not being cool enough to have been there for the first appearance in print (or at least not being cool enough to have collected all of the original run of a comic). The practiced comic fanatics looked down their noses at this attempt by publishers to save money and foist off second-hand goods well past their shelf-life on knowing readers eager for the works of the newest and hottest creators.

On the other hand, the 2000 AD Titan graphic albums were, to Americans, for all intents and purposes "new", and better than that, they were even seen as somewhat 'cutting edge' compared to American mainstream comics, which made you cooler than people who read Savage Sword of Conan or Vampirella, and maybe even Heavy Metal.

inurn

I was pretty young and was into Batman and Spawn when my uncle visited and had an Anthrax shirt on with Judge Dredd art. I thought it looked cool and he got me what little he could find out here in America. Always thought it was awesome but for some reason, I dropped the ball and mostly collected horror comics and Heavy Metal magazine. Lately, I have grown bored with most of the big 2 stuff going on and the 2000 AD documentary got me pumped up.

Dr Feeley Good

Got into it from the very first Prog, I would have been eight at the time.My dad used to buy it me as a bribe to go football matches with him,I wasn't interested in football at all at that age...he would go to all different grounds watching  local teams and would buy it me from the newsagents on the way... :D

Rara Avis

My big brother introduced me to it. I used to get it for him and then started reading it myself.

Tinmachine

Eagle Comics.

First issue was Judge Child Quest 1. Quickly followed up with Judge Dredd 8. Kept buying the Eagle releases and found the back issues. Titan releases quickly followed. But never bought the 2000ad progs themselves as they were never available near me.

positronic

Titan Books and Eagle Comics were actually produced by the same people, and it was very good exposure for the 2000 AD characters in America.

The later Quality Comics and Fleetway/Quality were actually two different groups of people producing the books.

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 28 April, 2017, 03:52:45 PM
It's funny how "reprints" started out as such a good thing when a reader was young and new to comics, way back before trade paperbacks was really even a product category, but after a reader became one of the cognoscenti, a comics insider with an awareness of what's going on in the marketplace, "reprints" became a dirty word ("PFAH! ... reprints !"), and then once you become an older veteran, "reprints" are like meeting an old friend again.

I didn't know any other comic readers when I was a kid, so for me the reprints at the time were Titan and Eagle, which were both good quality reprints by people who obviously took care in their product.  Later on, Quality and Maxwell's Fleetway handled reprints, where quality (small 'q') took a nosedive.  I now live in typical pokey London quarters, and so can only really afford space-wise to keep originals (though make occasional exceptions for good quality reprints with additional material, or for something where it really is more convenient to have something in one package).