Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Games / Re: Last game played...
« Last post by Mister Pops on Today at 01:30:24 am »
Star Trek Online is absolute dung. No doubt made by the type of person who skips the amazing, philosophical, bottle episodes of Trek because shit ain't 'sploding and nobody dies horribly.

My recent relapse in FTL addiction is mostly because it's the closest any game has come to being a Star Trek Captain Simulator.
General / Re: I may get shot for this...
« Last post by Fungus on Today at 01:24:40 am »
"Focus on the time demands of the work" ? What?!!!
I remember it was a multi-episode, interesting interview with a well-respected artist.
The time-keeping aspect is a modest, illuminating, side-bar. Can you see that?
« Last post by JOE SOAP on Today at 01:23:36 am »
Of course all commercial artists have deadlines, and there's a point at which any one of them needs to declare the page as finished. That's understood.

Why in the world Smith should choose to focus on the time demands of the work as opposed to any other aspect (that presumably his fans would be more interested in focusing on) baffled me. He's making a distinct choice to not discuss the artistic aspects of his work, but purely the timeclock-punching involved from his perspective. It just seemed like a strange response to an interviewer with curiosity regarding the work under consideration, to be preserved for the edification of the magazine's history.

Ron Smith is from a different generation - a modest old gentleman who flew Spitfires during World War II. He's  probably surprised people admire and are so interested in work that was considered throwaway and ephemeral back in the day. It's a testament to how great his work still is that people rate him so highly, out of so many other artists, decades later.

General / Re: APRIL ART COMP - VOTING THREAD
« Last post by allistermac on Today at 01:21:22 am »
1: Mark Higgins - Sláine and Niamh Go Hunting for Truffles
2: james newell - Hack Mills
3: Leigh S - Journey to Dinas Emrys

HM:
Patrik Lydman - Sláine and Niamh in the Wasteland
Paul Somers - Aladdin Sláine
Rana Raeuchle - Sláine
« Last post by Jacqusie on Today at 01:17:25 am »
he drew the citizens of Mega City One with more character than anyone else.

I'm just re-reading Citizen Snork for the Nth time - such a great story and wonderful art - my introduction to Rons work way back when and he drew some fabulous big noses!  :)
Books & Comics / Re: Comics you are excited about in 2017
« Last post by positronic on Today at 01:16:37 am »
Only two forthcoming series I can think of that I'm eager to pick up- Volume 2 of Wytches by Snyder & Jock, and Bane: Conquest by the original creative team of Dixon & Nolan.
(Which is due to hit next week actually; http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/02/15/announcing-bane-conquest-by-dixon-and-nolan).

I sort of wonder what's left to be said about Bane at this point, or whether we're supposed to assume most (or some) of the pre-New 52 stories don't apply, or do, which would imply some sort of characterization arc. A typical example of what I find frustrating about DCU Batman stories since 2011.
Books & Comics / Re: Whats everyone reading?
« Last post by positronic on Today at 01:12:34 am »
I complain way too often about an adaptation being different from the source,but with American Gods,its quite the reverse.Its the same thing,but with pictures.I know that statement makes no sense,but Its kinda how I feel.So,for those who read the book,dont expect anything new here.Which isnt necessarily a bad thing...Anyway,sweet covers.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless the reader's expectation going into it was different. I'm not clear on why it would be unless someone was under the impression of a prequel/sequel, as opposed to a straight adaptation. Clearly not everyone reading the adaptation will have read the prose version beforehand.
« Last post by positronic on Today at 01:02:12 am »
I don't believe Ron Smith was 'biting the hand that feeds'.
Again, sheesh.

Of course all commercial artists have deadlines, and there's a point at which any one of them needs to declare the page as finished. That's understood.

Why in the world Smith should choose to focus on the time demands of the work as opposed to any other aspect (that presumably his fans would be more interested in focusing on) baffled me. He's making a distinct choice to not discuss the artistic aspects of his work, but purely the timeclock-punching involved from his perspective. It just seemed like a strange response to an interviewer with curiosity regarding the work under consideration, to be preserved for the edification of the magazine's history.
Creative Common / Re: Dredd Helmet Paint Job
« Last post by positronic on Today at 12:50:28 am »
It's not just the colour of the Helmet what about the texture in the drawings it looks like dimpled but is that supposed to be the paint job (camouflage)?
I've also seen the Bags as Brown or green. including a mixture (bag green and straps brown)

I think I have a long way till I get to Painting anyway. I've got Ideas on the Bag (box) and the body & butt of the gun. I'm also thinking of going for a steel army surplus Helmet and adding the "bumps" some how.
These are the problems I'm looking forward to solving  :)

I'm pretty sure the texture of the appearance of the helmet is in the actual metal surface, not any paint job. That goes for whatever other textures Gibbons indicated by shading, crosshatching, or stippling techniques -- I think it's safe to assume it's the actual texture of the materials used that he's conveying, not any indications of surface paint or dye.

And well, of course Gibbons didn't color his own penciled and inked work (that I know of, anyway), so you should just pick from among the color work you've seen that looks best or most natural or logical to you. Of course, should you discover that I'm wrong about this and Gibbons DID supply his own color work in some instances, those would probably be the most 'definitive' color guides, IMO.
« Last post by Mardroid on Today at 12:50:07 am »
I could understand that if he left the work half done, but I doubt that's what he meant. Only that an artist (comic or otherwise) can often see more that they'd like to add if time allows, but at some point they have to draw a line under it (so to speak) and move on.

That doesn't mean that the work done does not fit the specification.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10