Main Menu

Meg 224 - Incredible Thong

Started by Bad Andy, 19 September, 2004, 07:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

Surpirsed to be the first to set up the thread but I just have to congratulate the editorial team behind the relaunch of the Meg.

It is a much more rounded publication now than I have ever seen it and the strips are toppo notcho.

The Meg has had a habit of dropping in unexpected cameos and this month's issue is no exception. I won't spoil the surprises.

The two Dredd strips are well done, even if 'Meat Patrol' is a bit of a filler.

Shimura is a nice intro into a story of potential. Judge Fear's Big Day Out gives us a humourous look at the character of the crappiest dark judge (often thought Fire or Mortis should have had their own adventure).

Anderson kind of treads water, but does so with beautiful artwork and Young Middenface is top notch work from Ridgway and Grant.

Charley's War looks like (gasp) it might be coming to a conclusion .

There is a lot more text in the Meg, but it somehow fits in. Fear's text adventure was entertaining enough. Dreddfiles are still going. There is an interesting look at other comics, anime and star trek (if not completely enlightening) and Rennie is on hand to talk a little about the creative process.

Simon Spurrier takes the opportunity to flex his ego in a bad tabloid way about comic book movies and I've just noticed an interview with John Burns that I haven't red yet. Better get back to it.

Great Meg, but does anyone want another Placebo poster prog?

Max Kon

Proudhuff

no sign of mine yet and Mondays a public holiday here, ho-hum, look like it will be late late this week.
 you mean somebody would buy that Placebo thing/ mine went to the recycling bin

Huff P
DDT did a job on me

philt

Crappest Dark Judge? I thought that was Death ever since someone decided he could do "comedy" - you know just like Robert De Niro??

paulvonscott

Bad Andy

You'll see. And your eyes will pop out.

frazer

DavidXBrunt

A nice montage cover. Bit of light would be nice but that's often the way with yon fellahs stuff.

Dredd - First tale had a nicely obvious twist that actually surprised me and lifted a fun, if ordinary, tale into something I really am looking forwards to seeing more of. Nice.

Simping - Smug points to me, but a great episode. Love the way this strip explores and develops elements from the past. Fun and funny, nice art.

Middenface - This feels different, like things are coming to a crisis point, or climax. Obviously things have been building towards this. I'm expecting big things of this.

Anderson - More of the same. I think when this tale is over and we can see where this is going it'll be a worthy tale.

Shimura - Never read this strip before but I didn't need to. Great art, interesting layouts. A nice relaunch, I think.

Dredd - Oh, I liked this little one. A really nice slice of megacity life thing exploring a minor part of the series mythos in great detail. Good stuff.

Interview - much, MUCH, better than the cackhanded interview in True Brit, this new series is off to a great start. John Burns, you are indeed, Da Man.

I'll review the rest later, if I can be arsed.

Mr C

Cover- Nice bit of McNeil.

Dredd1-Great Burns art, big improvement over Ranger. Nice twist at the end!

SimpinD-One word. PHWOAR!

Interview-Great interview with a great artist. Got his head on straight, has our Burnsie.

Shimura-Art is a little flat, but an good, action packed episode. Hey-Smaurai's are cool.

Text story-Heh. Nice fun little tale.

Anderson-Yeah, it's kind of stalling, but hopefully the end'll make us all go "Woah!" Hopefully. Great page and a half spread of the damned there!

Midenface-I'm not a huge fan of Ridgeway's art, but the saga looks like it's finally comin to a head.

Dreddfiles- Blah.

Charley's War-Good stuff! I've grown quite fond of this for some reason.

Heatseekr-Controversy from Spurrier, fairly good article on the original Star Trek, an okay review of 00 bullets, anime review is okay and hooray! Rennie's back!

Dredd 2-Good one off, we finally get to see the workings of the infamous meat wagons.

All in all, a great start to a new design.

paulvonscott

Is this the one with the new format Meg?  What's it like?

Dudley

OK, before I start - Fraser, been using models?  Can I get her number?  I think Dudlette would understand once she's seen the picture.. hrrnnnn...

Bico

Hmmm... more text articles means less comic.
They'll have to be good articles, but it sounds like the cost cutting has started on the Meg, so at least people can see how Preacher ends when they start reprinting that again.
I'm probably just being cynical, though.  I'll wait until i read it before I pass comment.

Leigh S

Prof Bear - more new comic, less reprint.

Leigh S

Wasnt the man in Dan Dare with a gun welded to his hand called Hitman?  

As for the Biochips names, if it wasnt for the Milli-Com memories story, you could argue that each clone was assigned a slot by name, so there were 100s of Bagmans, Helm, Gunnars, with Rogues denoting some kind of wildcard one chip fits all status.... plus it would explain Major Magnum.  Possibly there's still some merit in trying to explain the names as a kind of sick joke the genies were having when they had to name the little buggers...

DavidXBrunt

It's like the old Meg, but better. Strips are a nice bunch, there's a good mixture of development nad surprises.

The actual look is very good indeed, pages are thin but there you go. Prefer the mix of new strip and review stuff to the reprint material, even though I was enjoying it.

Perhaps 2k could get a matching overhaul soon? Borrowed the issue from a mate because mine hasn't come.