Main Menu

1320 - Tara.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 05 January, 2005, 10:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

I have my prog and I live in a whole other country! It's a good one too!

Cover: Lots of gold and blurring.

C-

Dredd: Best story, I think. The much-maligned Jason Brashill finally returns and gives some brilliant art to this story. The plot was clever and handled the aftermath of the nuke well showing us them madness and despair of the ordinary citizens. Just what we wanted. This still could have been better but I'm sure the next part will develop things better.

B-

Second city blues: This is very old-school stuff but it doesn't try and do anything unreasonable. Apart from the colours which are not to my liking I'm enjoying this story. The art is at worst decent and at best smooth and pleasing to the eye. I really think people should give this a chance.

C

Slaine: I wasn't offended by this but I'm reading it just for the art now. I lost my interest a while ago and it aint coming back. Nothing particularly bad here though.

D+

Caballistics: A good enough story. The art is getting even more detailed and the plot is progressing slowly but surely. The characters personalities still seem a bit dull to me. Chapter and Verse are both pretty emotionless and apart from Demon Jenny there's not much diversity between the cast.

C+

Dante: I still dont like Dante. Every little flaw irritates me. The tedious evil villain threatening the innocent children with mutilation and death is too crude a plot for me. I'd prefer something more subtle for once. Let the reader fill in the blanks, that sort of thing. I doubt this will happen however. Dissapointing.

D+

Overall it was a C+.

Richard

Lots of us without progs yet. Does anyone know anything about why? Never had a delay this long before, except once when they didn't notice I renewed my subscription.

Conexus

says 15 jan on the cover, I guess those of us with progs  have them thanks to newsagaents not realising they should have waited another week before putting up the progs up for sale?

I agree with Jared on almost everything about the prog, but I do hold Cabs and Dante in higher regard, though this week's Cabs is no way near as good as the Chrimbo edition (even if that one did have a very strong whiff of hellboy to it)

Leigh S

Conexus -the cover date is always the off sale date, so the prog was due in shops Wednesday, and given the bank holiday, on doormats Tuesday

The prog should presumably have been sent out last Friday, so unless that didnt happen, and they didnt go til Tuesday, we can only blame Postie - If they didnt go Friday, then thats a bit rubbish frankly, if only for the fact we didnt get a warning - still not got my sub prog...

Leigh S

Hmmm - Brashills art is very much in the Siku bracket for me - when they put in the effort (as he has here), I'll grant theres a silky seductiveness to the colouring/painting/pixels.  But with Brashill the drawing underneath is still way too cartoony and weak for my tastes - those popping eyes and pudgey fingers, and the Les Dawson Dredd still peer out from under the surface sheen.

When they don't make the effort/have the time to doll up the basic drawing underneath (eg, MeatMonger or In the year 2120), its really the worst thing I can hope to see in my prog.  I'm a real fan of artists who can knock out pages in 30 minutes that still have a certain quality about them - you can see when Ezquerras took on too many scripts, but even his rushed art has a real sense of getting the basics right, both in terms of storytelling and design

Shakara

Or like most of the Robo-Hunter strips which look horribly rushed. Ian Gibson is a genius, especially when he trys, but sometimes he just doesn't and it's very irritating to read

I am the dead that will not die.
I am Shakara, the avenger

petesbeats

Rang the despatch centre and they weren't despatched til Tuesday as they were closed over crimbo. everyone should have there progs by this afternoon.  I'm gonna be very angry if i don't though.  Mind you saying that if it comes Monday i'll have 2 Tooth's and a Meg.  Thrill overload.  Let's wait and see.

Dudley

I couldn't resist... I went out and bought it early.

Agree that Langley's sumptuous Slaine covers have become boring for regular readers. However, I reckon that they're probably GREAT for drawing in newcomers.  There simply is nothing like Langley on any other magazine of comic, and it's a great way of saying Quality Art And Interesting Stories For Adults... which is pretty much the message you need to get across on every issue.

Yay!  P14!  P14!

Inside the prog, Dredd was an enjoyable opening to the story – anyone else suspect that there's less to this amnesiac terrorist than meets the eye?  Brashill's art seems more fun than it did in his last outing – going to quite enjoy this, I think.

After 2 years absence, I could really do with a refresher on Dante continuity: I'd actually forgotten the pirate queen and those poor orphaned children.  Art was great, story has possibilities.  Have we met this old flame before?

Slaine skims across the eye like mercury over glass – very pretty but hardly leaving an impression.  What happened?  I honestly have no idea.

I'm sure that I recognise that boarded-up old house in Caballistics.  Isn't it on Coronation Hill in Bristol?  Or up near the glass works somewhere?  Anyway, I like the developments with Jenny / Ravne.  Very promising.  However, in the comment about "time of the month", does anyone else detect a faint Pat Mills-like savour?

I'm reserving judgement on Second City Blues.  Through gritted teeth.  Art's better than the first episode, but, really, can we have a stylesheet for 2000AD that bans the word "knobhead"?  It just suggests a particularly fortunate Strontium Dog.

Letters – Kudos to Byron.  Like the redesign that allows less letters per page: hopefully more letters pages as a result?

Fantasy Football score: 2

Tanky

I've got one --:p
So i'm gonna get on topic on all yo asses for once...
Cover -  It's not just similar, it's a cut n paste job. It's still pretty though.

Droid Life -  Yay! Top notch as always

Dredd - Highlight of the prog for me. Luvverly Brashill art and a very promising story. And i quite like the logo.

2nd City Blues - I'm really enjoying this so far. It's a combination of influences i don't usually see - 70s sport strips, famous five, cartoony artwork and a dollop of darkness. The most original thing in the prog.

Slaine - I have no idea what's going on and have reverted to just looking at the pretty pictures. Which are extrememly pretty.

Cabs - I'll wait n see where this is going.

Dante - One of my all time fave characters, Dante can do no wrong in my book. Burns' artwork is gorgeous and the story is shaping up nicely. Lots more of this please!

And there's some letters too. Don't recognise any names this week, but it looks like we've upset someone again. That narrows it down then...

on-topic tanky x  

longmanshort

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Satanist

New Year - New prog

Cover - I love Langleys covers but agree that someone else should get a shot at a wraparound.

P14 - Made me laugh so its done its job

Dredd - Not familiar with this artist but like his style. Happy this is another multi-parter as Im getting tired of the one offs. Looking forward to findin out where this is headed.

2nd City Blue - I really didnt like the first part of this but this weeks was not too bad, could go either way.

Slaine - Arts great but the story just shuffles along. Does it really need so many books to tell this tale?

Cab Inc - Yee & ha, I didnt realise a new story started this prog so was well happy. Arts more detailed but too early to say about the story. Oh and the way Ness spoke was spot on, much better than the usual Hoots,Jings Helpmaboab stuff you get in comics.

Dante - I know a lot of people have been waiting a long time for this but I've missed so much of the back story I dont know whos who & whats what. I think I'll pick up the new collection and then see what I think.

Letters page - Much better now I can read it without a torch but whats going on with Thargs head? It looks like he needs some bran in his diet.

All in all a good start to the year.

Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

GordonR

?However, in the comment about ?time of the month?, does anyone else detect a faint Pat Mills-like savour?"

If you're suggesting I'm being mysogenistic, then the answer is defninitely 'no'.

Don't confuse the words of a character with the opinions of the writer.  At least, not in my case.

Oddboy

(I've not got the prog yet myself, just going by the site's cover scan)

says 15 jan on the cover

the cover date is always the off sale date,

Wrong and wrong!

Most publications carry the last day of sale as the cover date, but 2000AD doesn't. The Megazine does (or rather did - I think it carries both start & finish date at the mo').

It says "05" (which was Wednesday) but the C part of the O is obscured by an axe, as is the PR part of PROG.
Having played a lot of San Andreas recently, they keep on going on about OG's and now you can all have one too!

It really bugs me this coving up of stuff  with cover art. Usually it's the logo, which is only partially acceptable at the best of times - but covering up the date?? Yeah, it does look like 15 Jan - which is next Friday, they'll be another prog before then!
And the "OG 1420" - really that means nothing! Prog is tricky enough for the uninitiated to understand with out covering up half of the word.

And that strange instruction: "Orbit every Wednesday."  Okay.

It seems strange to me that they've covered up the first appearance of a new style logo, almost as if they're ashamed of the change? I like the new look prog box, from the little I can see of it, but stop putting axes in front of stuff!

meanwhile...

Nice, but does it really sell the comic to anyone beyond those who already buy 2000ad? I think the casual shopper would find the cover very odd
I think it looks very Return Of The King-y - man with axe killing orcs in the plains in front of a castle... likely to pick up the casual LOTR fan's eye.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Dudley

Hell, no, Gordon: if I thought you were being a big misogynist I'd have made a much bigger deal of it.  I do understand that you're not an immortal Jewish Nazi with a natty beard.

It was just that the joke, which was a bit laboured, felt like it could have come from the second series of Black Siddha, that's all.

WoD