Main Menu

MEG 232: Rock Hard

Started by Bolt-01, 04 May, 2005, 08:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

re: Zancudo --

Am I possibly reading too much into the appearance of the ants? Is Si just having fun by hinting at a connection to Ant Wars?

It's certainly a great wee strip, and there are some marvellous moments from both Si & Cam Kennedy.

BTW - it's "Brock Hard". Don't spoil the crap pun! ;-)

Endjinn

Today I felt true Thrill Power Overload for the first time. I laughed like a drain.

In a fit of ego, I'm so buying that page.

Bad Andy

Surely Barnesy will want it for his mum?

Trout

Highlights of the Meg:

Everything about the lead Dredd story (genius!)

The sheer inventiveness of ideas-heavy Zancudo

The fantastic dialogue of Devlin Waugh

The creepiness of the arachnid reprints.

I liked lots of other bits, too, especially the standard of art throughout, but these are my favourite elements.

Overall, it was another great magazine. I enjoyed it a lot.

- Trout

Bolt-01

I want to applaud the decision to plug Usagi Yojimbo. I've been a fan of that strip since I was first introduced to it in the '80's. Sakai is indeed a master storyteller.

Bolt-01, wishes he had more of the books though :(

Trout

Bloody hell, man. There are 19 of them, apparently!

I'm not even going to start buying them. I have to pay for my new patio...

Dudley

A quite exceptional episode of PJ Maybe (feat Judge Dredd) showcases John Wagner's ability to really make you care about a story.  I don't think we've seen pure storytelling on this level for many moons.  I have no idea what's going on, and I'm looking forward to next month immensely.

Devlin Waugh's psycho ninja badgers, cool dialogue and camp violence just edge out Anderson's beautiful art and robodog shows for second place.

A very well-written British icons instalment on a character I'd vaguely heard of but knew nothing about makes a high debut at number 4, and the really enjoyable Doctor Who feature powers into the sixth spot, making this my favourite Meg for features so far.  Between them in fifth place is Si Spurrier's excellent Zancudo.  The script here is wonderful, but I still don't like Cam Kennedy's art very much, even when it's at its absolute best as it is here.  

Bubbling under as worthy additions are Judge Dredd: Kiss/Return of the Spiderwoman, good as ever; Johnny Woo, which may well take off next time but isn't currently grabbing a great deal of my attention; the Snuff feature which was decently written although hardly telling us anything new; Orient: No Future for You with a historically detailed analysis that just didn't get me very interested; the Bryan Talbot interview which I felt was a distinct drop-off in quality from the previous interviews.

Bogie Man is beginning to get on my tits now: comedy should be funny and fast, this is glacial and substitutes "satire" of the weakest kind for actual humour.

Metro Dredd is the most predictable fanboy idea, played out in a really boring fashion.  If this was the standard, I'm amazed the contract lasted a year.

I agree with the letterwriter who says the Meg is lording it over the weekly at the moment.

And the cover ROCKS LIKE A BADGER.

Bolt-01

Ahh Trouty, you are missing a treat. I've got the first 6, and then the 11th. After that nothing. However I might find one in Bristol.

Bolt-01

Trout

AGH!

Don't do that to me!

You're a father, too. You ought to be ashamed of yourself! Be more responsible!

Bloody comics pusher.

Carlsborg Expert

That Endjinn must have been chuffed to bits.

It must be quite appealing to see yourself in a strip of high stature.

Carlsborg Expert

Hey whats the idea with PJ Maybes apostrophes?do'nt twice as well
At first I was wondering if it was part of PJs language make up.

Am I on the right lines?

confused,
Manchester.

skurvy

Has anybody else spotted there's no Dredd Files? Doesn't seem to have been missed!

Trout

Expert: I think John's making the point that even a spellchecker has'nt made P'Js English an'y bett'er.

Skurvy: Well done that man! I didn't notice that at all.
Hmmm. That's not a recommendation for the Dredd Files, IMO.

- Trout

Oddboy

Carlsborg - yes, PJ Maybe is a terrible speller. All the captions not written in CAPS LOCK are written by PJ, badly.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Carlsborg Expert

thanking thjose involved in the answers,

smiling pleasantly backing away,

'borg