Main Menu

New Poll: Brian Kressler (Letter of the Week, prog 1490) - is he...

Started by 2000AD Online, 31 May, 2006, 03:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Keef Monkey

I think Lobster Random is fantastic, and it always offers the best laugh out loud moments in any issue it's in. I guess it depends on your sense of humour, but it's like saying Evil Dead 2 is an evil mean-spirited film just because people get hacked up with chainsaws. It's not, it's a bloody good laugh, done with it's tongue firmly in cheek. The violence in Lobster has the same surreal over the top edge to it, and the torture scenes generaly don't have any actual gore in them. Aquired taste maybe, but not any more violent than a Tom And Jerry cartoon, and done with a similar sensibility I think. Sorry if that was a bit longwinded, but as one of my favourite strips I wanted to give my defense for it!

Dark Jimbo

This read like one of those tounge-in-cheek 'joke' moans, especially because he went and began 'As a practising Christian...', making himself sound like someone doing a lame parody of a real christian. It wasn't until I got to the end I realised the poor guy was totally serious.
@jamesfeistdraws

Floyd-the-k

this poll, clever though it is, doesn't allow for the positon of thinking that Lobster is amoral but that it doesn't matter at all (at least I don't think the poll allows for that). As another practicing Christian (I'm bound to get it right eventually) I find the letter odd. Where was this guy when Sinister Dexter were being printed? Comics are fun and Lobster Random is a good comic, well-written, interestng, witty but hardly a threat to morality in the real world

Pete Wells

Oh, it's so easy to bash Christians but some of them are just downright twerps and they ask for it. I know I'm opening a HUGE can of worms here so I'm sorry in advance to anyone and everyone I offend.

However, that letter reminded me of the site below which is a Christian Film Review site. It is both hilarious and frightening at the same time. I challenge anyone to read the Jurassic Park review without being sickened by the mindset of the guy who wrote it. I'm sure it says more about him than the rest of us sinners put together!

Sorry again!

Pete.

Link: http://www.capalert.com/capreports/" target="_blank">Breasts in Jurassic Park?!?

TordelBack

That JP review leaves me seething with rage.  It's saying something when even the most "issue-focussed" reviewer makes a central point of describing something that: (a). You can't for the life of you remember despite it being one of your your GFs fave movies and you've seen it several dozen times; (b). You can't imagine even considering to be an issue.  What a sick fuck that boy must be, and what a lovely relationship he must have with his own children (please Grud he has none).  

And frankly, there isn't enough of Laura Dern's body parts in the film.  Or in any film, really.

Keef Monkey

I don't seem to recall any of the "inappropriate" behaviour he mentions in Jurassic Park, maybe he shouldn't be looking so hard for it.
And another vote for more Dern.

dweezil2

I went with the yoghurt suggestion, but on reflection would have to conclude that a yoghurt's got more culture!!
My real question would have to be:"do people like this still exist in the 21st century"?
And why is he still a "practising christian and not a real one yet"? I'm sorry, but ridiculing people like this, is like shooting fish in a barrel!
With all the shit going on in the world(mostly religious related I might add) he's worried about a comic strip and the issue that he might of glimpsed a bit of tit in Jurassic park!!
Pull your head out of your arse, mate!
Peace,
      Dweezil.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Lobo Baggins

"The Legs and Other Anatomy of Laura Dern."

Wha...?  I don't remember that.  I'm pretty sure I would have remembered that...

He appears to be offended that women (and 'preteen girls')actually have anatomies.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

dweezil2

Apologies: The Jurassic park comment wasn't made by him, but some other idiot, with too much time on his hands.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dudley

Sorry but I just accidentally broke the poll.  It's not really worth creating another thread for, is it?

Funt Solo

I never quite understand opening a righteously indignant letter with the "as a christian" prefix.

I mean, so what?  That fact wasn't in any way relevant to his opinion, so I can only assume that he's filled with pride at being a christian and is unable to help himself in mentioning it whenever he communicates with others.

Either that, or he thinks that being christian somehow promotes his argument by giving him a greater sense of morality than non-christians, which would be a bit presumptuous, elitist, bigoted, arrogant, condescending and self-righteous.

Fortunately, if anyone points this out to him, he'll be able to turn the other cheek, and conveniantly ignore them.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Artificial Idiot

Who's willing to bet that Tharg sent him the Lobster Random TPB for his troubles...?

I, Cosh

I assumed it was a wind up. Even if it wasn't, old Brian's scored himself a free GN while us poor saps have to pay for ours.

For the record: Lob IS amoral, it DOESN'T matter and I don't find it particularly funny but it's got nothing to do with the previous answers.
We never really die.

Floyd-the-k

the breasts in Jurassic park link is a hoot. There's a phenomenon called 'ghosting' which means you can see women's bodies through their clothes.  I've noticed this in various movies (I'll bet the Nicole Kidman Batman movie in which she lies face down in a bed with the sheet nicely tucked around her bum gets these guys apoplectic) but have always thought it was a good thing.  Now, in addition to all the other temptations I have to resist, I have to resist looking up those goofy reviews.

Floyd

ps I forgot to say 'as a practicing Christian'.  Damn