...PROG 1549, Mind-Shattering!..

Started by ARRISARRIS, 06 August, 2007, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

"Not trying to be argumentative"

OUT
SIDE
NOW!

I know any strip has the odd supporter but I get a general air of malcontentment about the current roster. Put it this way : There is no strip that is undeniably brilliant and none that doesn't merit some critisism, even from the most partizan of reader.

Read my great review of last week's prog to learn more!

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/reviews/2007/2000ad_1548_review.shtml" target="_blank">Pecking at Prog 1548

Funt Solo

Recently, for me, it's been a distinctively average line-up - with the exception of Dredd.

Dredd - great new angle on the character.

86ers - a Nort back story that's not bad to read - but I had to go and check what this last story was because I'd forgotten about it again.

Greysuit - I find this bland.  I can't make my mind up about the art - it's just sort of muddy.  As for the script - I've read it all before in various forms.  Evil scientists torture for fun - but then get their just deserts from the superhero with mystical powers.  All the psycho-babble about how science generates superhuman strength is just annoying.  Fuck me - I've had enough of all this "tortured beyond the pale" stuff from 2000AD writers.  As if Leatherjack wasn't bad enough.  Can't we just have someone who wants to get out (ie Halo Jones) or nuke their parents (ie DR & Quinch)?

Robohunter - oddly, I was just beginning to enjoy this for the first time since it came back in it's female incarnation.  The rambling, doesn't really matter storyline is a good cure for the dark, repetitive putrescence of Greysuit.  Still - fairly dull stuff.  I did really enjoy the vibrant colours on offer from the usually bland palette of, erm, the artist that took over from Gibson.  Sorry - I forget his name.

Medieval Weapons Catalogue (aka Defoe).  Nuff said. The art is the only saving grace in this otherwise turgid nonsense.  

Strongly researched period character #1: "Watch out Defoe - we're going to get killed by thousands of rampaging zombies.  By the way, let's also discuss my religious views as we exert ourselves beyond normal human endurance.

Defoe: "Never fear - I have this patented Da Vinci Anti-Zombie Tank capable of...[reading from manual whilst chopping up 500 zombies with the Anti-Zombie Combine Harvester from the previous week]...destroying exactly the amount of zombies that are endangering us."

etc.  (for weeks on end)

So, if they're all returning, then - damn.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

C'mon now Funt, you've been warned about that moaning of yours!

Eck

I agree with Richard. I'm not a huge fan of Morrison's work on Dredd, but this one actually entertained. Maybe a bit too much narration, but apart from that, very good stuff.

And what can I say about Greysuit? Last two episodes were sort of interesting, what with Zil being in them. This week and every other week, just...bleh. Why a brand new character is introduced in the last episode I've no idea. I wonder if Mills does.

Story should have centered around Zil in my opinion. Far more potential in that character than the drab guy we were stuck with.

Zil!

JOE SOAP

***I liked the Dredd which was unusual for a Morrison one-off. No great surprises or consequences just a slice of life with an inevitable conclusion. Surprised that a mental can get through 15 years undetected at the Academy of Law. ***

Eh, Cal?

Funt Solo

Sorry, buttonman - I meant to say:

Dredd - great!
86ers - cool!
Robohunter - gosh!
Greysuit - shock!
Defoe - awe!

Thanks, Tharg and chums!!!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

"Eh, Cal?"

Is that a new version of One-Cal for the hard of hearing?!

I think Cal and for that matter Crazy Barry, Sladek, Grice etc. went mental whereas this juve was mental from day one and it slowly grew to the point where he went full blown postal.

If they knew he was damaged goods from day one you'd think the shrinks and psis would have tried to eradicate it before graduation, or if they couldn't can his ass.

dweezil2

Medieval Weapons Catalogue (aka Defoe). Nuff said. The art is the only saving grace in this otherwise turgid nonsense.

Strongly researched period character #1: "Watch out Defoe - we're going to get killed by thousands of rampaging zombies. By the way, let's also discuss my religious views as we exert ourselves beyond normal human endurance.

Defoe: "Never fear - I have this patented Da Vinci Anti-Zombie Tank capable of...[reading from manual whilst chopping up 500 zombies with the Anti-Zombie Combine Harvester from the previous week]...destroying exactly the amount of zombies that are endangering us."

Now that's a Hollywood pitch!
Pat, you hearing this?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dudley

funt, didn't you turn up at this messageboard as the Valiant Pat Mills Defender?

I, Cosh

I said it last week and I'll say it again now.

CUNTS!
We never really die.

Funt Solo

It might be irony.

---

I defended Mills against what I considered to be unfair accusations of misogyny.  I stand by my opinions there.  

As it is, I'm slagging off the quality of the (written) storytelling on Defoe and Greysuit.  I'm not slagging off Mills for any assumed personal beliefs.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Eck

The Cosh reminds me of someone...Cunt! Cunt!http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images/16/sexy_beast.jpg">

I, Cosh

The Cosh reminds me of someone...

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
We never really die.

Grant Goggans

Wait, there's a *third* artist on Robo-Hunter?  Who?

Richard