...PROG 1549, Mind-Shattering!..

Started by ARRISARRIS, 06 August, 2007, 08:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Cliff Robinson? Top class.

Mk 1 Lawgiver vs Mk 2? Priceless.
We never really die.

TordelBack

The Noo Yoik versus MC-1 issue isn't a biggie - no-one in Strontium Dog refers to Brit Cit any more (it's the Greater London Crater, unless I'm mistaken...). Maybe the days of the Mega-Cities are over  by 2140- they certainly are by 2150.  Awwwgh, now you've got me doing it.

Robin Low

"The Noo Yoik versus MC-1 issue isn't a biggie - no-one in Strontium Dog refers to Brit Cit any more (it's the Greater London Crater, unless I'm mistaken...)."

It's easy to argue that Greater London was a designated sector of Brit-Cit, so that would work fine, too.

"Maybe the days of the Mega-Cities are over by 2140- they certainly are by 2150."

I was going to say that I think the mega-cities still exist after 2150, but you could be right. When the Great War is described in 'Portrait of a Mutant' it says that there has never been another war like it, and given the impact of the Great Atom War and Judgement Day it must have been unbelievably destructive. I suppose it is possible that the great mega-cities are transformed.

Incidentally, I forgot that MC2 was destroyed during Judgement Day - maybe it could be recontructed and provide the sort of city we see in 'Day of the Droids'.

"Awwwgh, now you've got me doing it."

Fun, isn't it?

You know, a lot of writers complain that tying series together and sticking to continuity limits their ability to be creative. I don't buy that at all. I see the combined series and the timeline they create as a source of interesting questions. The answers will be stories (how good or bad depends on the writer).

Regards

Robin

JOE SOAP

"Maybe the days of the Mega-Cities are over by 2140- they certainly are by 2150."

So we've only 21 years left of Dredd stories, by which time he'll be around 90.

TordelBack

When the Great War is described in 'Portrait of a Mutant' it says that there has never been another war like it, and given the impact of the Great Atom War and Judgement Day it must have been unbelievably destructive.

The Great War of the mid-22nd century certainly buggered things up climate-wise - look at Antartica in Outlaw, compared to the relativley normal polar conditions of the early-22nd seen in Dredd and its spinoffs.  What larks.

paulvonscott

"You know, a lot of writers complain that tying series together and sticking to continuity limits their ability to be creative. I don't buy that at all. I see the combined series and the timeline they create as a source of interesting questions. The answers will be stories (how good or bad depends on the writer)."

Very well put.

Buttonman

It could also be that the writer is less caring about his research and keener to bash out his next pay cheque. I wouldn't say it's the case with Pat who is very protective of his 'universe' but it's often the fans care more than the creator.

I was watching 'Cruise of the Gods' with Steve Coogan  the other day and there is a funny scene where David Walliams explains the origins of the character names in 'The Children of Castor'. After explaining about the fusion of myths, latin and other gubbins he's corrected by the writer who says they are all actually anagrams of curries.

If the story is good and stands up on its own merits I'm happy to ignore any time line slip up, regarding them as differnt time streams or something.