Main Menu

More Future Shocks!!

Started by Abra Cadaver, 01 March, 2008, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

Hi there Abra Cadaver

I agree - as long as the Future Shocks are good, I'm all for more of them.  I think the recent attempts to freshen up the formula have been admirable (ie tales of telguuth, Past Imperfect, those one page Future Shocks...)

I, Cosh

Even though I don't think many of them are that great, I like to see them pop up from time to time.

What I would suggest is that, instead of using them to pack out the end of a run of stories, why not do it the other way round, so Prog 200x always has one. That might help change the idea that they're just filler.
We never really die.

Ignatzmonster

**Except he's Irish **

Doh!! Wait a minute, pardon my ignorance here, but if he's from Northern Ireland, which he may well not be, wouldn't my statement still be correct?  

satchmo

You would indeed, Ignatz. Northern Ireland is part of The United Kingdom, but Great Britain is just England, Scotland and Wales. The island, not Ireland, as our geography teacher told us. So the UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Bob is from the south which is The Republic of Ireland. We like to keep it complicated for Johnny Foreigner, what what? :)

Cosh: Good idea, its a shame Future Shocks are just filler these days when they used to be such an integral part of the prog. My mother used to read them when I was a kid, for Grud's sake! I read an interview with Christopher Nolan where he bigged up 2000AD, one of the things he mentioned were Future Shocks, and how they were like mini-Twilight Zones, and inspired him.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

In total agreement here if Future Shocks or the like are done right then they can be fantastic. They have also given many writers and artists some good experience.

JOE SOAP

"oh!! Wait a minute, pardon my ignorance here, but if he's from Northern Ireland, which he may well not be, wouldn't my statement still be correct? "

No, he's from the republic.

pauljholden

>"oh!! Wait a minute, pardon my ignorance here, but if he's from Northern Ireland, which he may well not be, wouldn't my statement still be correct? "

If he was from Northern Ireland, your statement would be correct. But he's not, he's from the South of Ireland :)

johnnystress

I'm from the North of Ireland but I'm not British

what the heck?

Anyway, yes to more Future Shocks

pauljholden

Without getting into crazy politics, he wasn't accused of being British, he was accused of being from the UK.

Personally, I'm Northern Irish.
(And for a full breakdown on the insanity inherit in Northern Ireland's identity see

johnnystress

I'm just stirring

I'm an Ulsterman from the North of Ireland

yet at the same time...considered "southern"

but anyway--Futureshocks, yes please

Ignatzmonster

Just taking the opportunity to check my cursory knowledge of UK politics.

Anyway, Future Shocks I can do without, but that Bob Byrne guy is excellent. He's like an IRISH Jason.

Much better.

opaque

A lot more often yes please :)

TordelBack

Ah yes, there's nothing quite as surreal as driving north from Derry, over the the border, up through Muff (had to get that in somehow) and on up to Malin Head, until there's nothing between you and Iceland (except maybe Barra) and reminding yourself that you're truly in the South!

pauljholden

Hmm... my last post was half-swallowed up somehow. But anyways... who the hell is this Jason you keep talking about?

-pj

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!