Main Menu

Help the Gurkha Veterans!

Started by +rufus+, 16 September, 2008, 12:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

This is great news.  Keep going you great warriors, and Ms Lumley, until Brown surrenders completely.

Dunk!

"Trust we"

Dandontdare

Joanna Lumley could single handedly win an election right now. And Esther Rantzen's standing for parliament too! The Daily Mail is campaigning for foreigners to be allowed to live here, and the Telegraph has the biggest scoop of the decade - these are surely odd times we live in!

Sir Nicholas Winterton's well-meaning but nonsensical quote courtesy of Private Eye:
"We should allow those who have sacrificed their lives for this country to come and live in this country."
Zombie veterans anyone?

TheEdge

Quote from: "dandontdare"Joanna Lumley could single handedly win an election right now.
QuoteTRUE

However there's not one person in that house ( with the exception of JUDGE JACK STRAW) that i would rather have in charge currenty than BROWN.

In my opinion the queen wants to disolve parliment and START AGAIN, Party politics ruin the SYSTEM, MP's are supposed to represent their constituents not their PARTY or themselves.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Peter Wolf

[Keeping my opinion to myself for once]

I found it amusing that Jacqui Smith commented that she is "proud" to let Ghurkas retire in this country as of today.

I suppose thats one way of admitting defeat .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Robin Low

Quote from: "TheEdge"However there's not one person in that house ( with the exception of JUDGE JACK STRAW) that i would rather have in charge currenty than BROWN.

I pretty much agree. I'm increasingly cynical and believe that democracy is at best about choosing the lesser evil, and I don't have any particular reason to dislike Brown. It's looking like the Tories are going to win the next one, and frankly that scares the living shit out of me.

QuoteIn my opinion the queen wants to disolve parliment and START AGAIN, Party politics ruin the SYSTEM, MP's are supposed to represent their constituents not their PARTY or themselves.

I'd actually rather they didn't represent any person, group of ideology in particular, but look at facts and evidence, listen to arguments, and try to do the right thing, even though the right thing is not necessarily the popular or appealing thing. (What the right thing is or isn't is another thread, of course, though off the cuff I'd suggest it's about minimising suffering and balancing freedom and selfishness against responsibilities and society.)

Regards

Robin

Peter Wolf

I dont have any confidence in any of them especially since they all seem to be too stupid to fill in expenses forms correctly without making mistakes plus the fact that there doesnt seem to be anyone in the Civil Service who is able to help them fill in the forms correctly and check them for mistakes.

They need to be reminded that they work for us and that they are our employees and not the other way around.

A waste of Oxygen.

Proudhuff

Received this:

You signed a petition asking the Prime Minister to "give all Ex Gurkha
soldiers and their families who have served our country British citizenship
on leaving the service."

The Prime Minister's Office has responded to that petition and you can view
it here:

//http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19389

Prime Minister's Office

Petition information
-//http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Gurkha-soldiers/

Now for that Lumley petition for a Damehood
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

I used to work with an ex-soldier many yonks ago. He had two favourite stories about the Gurkas (which may or may not be true as the guy was so full of shite he was in danger of growing another arse hole). I'll relate them here 'cos I think they're kinda' cool.

The first was set in WWII. A detachment of Gurkas was ordered to jump out of an aircraft at 1500 feet and mount a surprise attack on an enemy position. The commanding officer was stunned when the Gurkas refused to do this as they were famous for obeying orders to the letter. On repeating the order, the Gurkas agreed to go ahead with the operation, but only if they could jump out of the aircraft at 500ft. "Don't be soft," the c.o. said, "at that height your parachutes won't have time to open."
"Oh," they said, "we get parachutes?"

The second story was from the Falklands during the tail end of the (not) war. A convoy of trucks and what have you was held up for two hours because a Gurka was stood in the middle of a crossroads and refused to move. In the end, they had to chopper in his own c.o. who ordered him to move aside and stand at the side of the road. Apparently, he'd been ordered to "Stand here until the second unit comes and then tell them which way we went."

Well done Joanna. (I still would...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

Hi Shark, I would bet a pound to a penny that ex-soldier you worked with was, indeed, talking out of his backside.  Tales like those you related are pure fiction and, in fact, are an insult to the Gurkhas.

They are brave men, not stupid men and, as someone who has served with them, I can testify to the fact that they are very special people and very intelligent.

Well done, Ms Lumley, and well done the Gurkhas.

The Legendary Shark

Sorry.

I meant no disrespect to the Gurkas. Every single one of them is a far braver man than I'll ever be.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

Ghurkas arent Paras as far as i know.

What this proves apart from the desired result concerning Ghurkas is that Govt will give in to public pressure if there is enough of  it.

If everyone is complacent towards Govt and dont make their voices heard about whatever issue needs to be heard then Govt will take the piss.

Simple human psychology.

The Legendary Shark

Does anyone else suspect that this expenses thing is all a smokescreen for something else? First they present us with a problem (corrupt parliament) then they come along with an answer (you need to be ruled by Europe).

We should all be asking how the BoE works. Is it a private bank like the US Federal Reserve or is it a public bank? If it's a private bank, who's getting all the profits? If it's a public bank, why do we have to borrow money from it (at interest) and where do the profits go? If the Government got back control of the BoE and could print its own money to pay for schools, roads, bin men, duck islands and moat cleaning then it wouldn't need to be paid back at all. So long as it doesn't pump more money into the economy than the economy itself is capable of making on its own our taxes would be far more sensible and we'd all be much better off. Instead, people like the Rothschilds (who may be shareholders in the Fed and the BoE) have personal fortunes of something like 200 trillion dollars (2 0 0  t r i l l i o n) while the majority of people on our planet live in abject poverty with thousands of children dying of things like the shits every day of every week of every month of every year. Is it time to get mad yet?

I will probably be assassinated now I've pointed that out.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: "peterwolf"Ghurkas arent Paras as far as i know.

Some Gurkhas may have wings/daggers on their uniform from doing the Para & Commando courses. So you are correct saying that no Gurkhas are actually 'in' the Paras but they can qualify to wear the wings, just like anyone in the forces who wants to do the course.
On my Commando course we had a Captain and a Sergeant from the Spanish special forces (both passed, but we didn't see the sergeant do his regain test on the final day (he needed to pass this for the beret) as he failed every attempt up until then so I don't believe he really passed).
We also had four Phillipino special forces officers who got binned after they couldn't carry the bergans, their small stature buggered them up.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "the_legendary_shark"Does anyone else suspect that this expenses thing is all a smokescreen for something else? First they present us with a problem (corrupt parliament) then they come along with an answer (you need to be ruled by Europe).

We should all be asking how the BoE works. Is it a private bank like the US Federal Reserve or is it a public bank? If it's a private bank, who's getting all the profits? If it's a public bank, why do we have to borrow money from it (at interest) and where do the profits go? If the Government got back control of the BoE and could print its own money to pay for schools, roads, bin men, duck islands and moat cleaning then it wouldn't need to be paid back at all. So long as it doesn't pump more money into the economy than the economy itself is capable of making on its own our taxes would be far more sensible and we'd all be much better off. Instead, people like the Rothschilds (who may be shareholders in the Fed and the BoE) have personal fortunes of something like 200 trillion dollars (2 0 0  t r i l l i o n) while the majority of people on our planet live in abject poverty with thousands of children dying of things like the shits every day of every week of every month of every year. Is it time to get mad yet?

I will probably be assassinated now I've pointed that out.

Being ruled by Europe isnt the right solution because the EU is an infinately bigger financial black hole than UK Govt will ever be.They havent produced any accounts in 14 years.

You are definately barking up the right tree.

You are absolutely correct about the FED.

The BOE is fronted by but not owned by the Govt or the State or by default the taxpayer.Its privately owned.

Yes the BOE could have printed all that cash out of nothing and the Govt if it was honest would not have charged it to the taxpayer but its too dishonest to admit that the cash didnt come out of the existing economy but it was created out of nothing and injected into the economy but the Govt is the middleman who launders the cash on behalf of the BOE [although it was clean [straight of the printing press] ] and charges it to us in the form of taxes.

The BOE made profits of 1 billion in the year prior to Feb 28th this year and will probably do so again since it now has a licence to print cash with nothing backing it just like the FED so they are effectively making cash out of nothing and charging interest on it when it loans it to the govt just like the FED.

However the BOE unlike the Fed is required by law to hand back a significant amount [25 percent] of that 1 billion twice a year .25 percent a year if you take into account the ending of the tax year in April.I dont know if that 25 percent is used to repay the tax bill.Probably not.It probably gets wasted.That still leaves an excess of 750 billion.The BOE is very tightly controlled in comparison to the FED which is a criminal organisation that defrauds the US taxpayer and has done since it was given a licence to print money in 1916 IIRC.

The BOE doesnt operate using the gold standard as this country doesnt have any gold as it was all sold by Brown and the stupid Dickhead even announced he was selling it which resulted in prices falling before it was sold.

The FED is a criminal organisation owned and runned by criminals.Bankster Mafioso with an insatiable appetite for cash.

The US actually pays a very large financial dividend back to the UK every year and has done every single year since it was founded.

The City Of London is the epicentre of world banking .

It is time to get mad in a controlled manner of course and its time for everyone to face reality.

Is the politicians expenses issue a Smokescreen ?Yes partly.Its more of a diversion.Its small potatoes really when you consider the amounts of cash in question but i guess its about principles and thats the important thing.I dont doubt that the case is genuine and is the result of leaks as the House of Commons did try a little while ago to pass legislation to allow themselves not to disclose their own expenses but failed.

There will be quite  few resignations that will supposedly satisfy the public and then business as usual.

Thats the plan anyway.