Main Menu

HOT DANG DOODLE!

Started by Kerrin, 28 January, 2009, 10:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Nemesis scribble to stop my drawing muscles seizing up.

antodonnell

Loving that. A good quick, solid sketch.

Danbell

That's a tasty Nemisis ther Jon.

Bolt-01

Darren Stephens

Superb doodling as ever, Jon. Bolt, some fab stuff there, Sir. You do a cracking Dredd.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Nightbook

A couple of Dredds I did in biro and scanned in:

I have two questions for folks more learned than myself: is there anything I can do to make the blacks blacker? I scanned the pictures in mono rather than colour but they both look a bit washed out. Also, having scanned them in I'd like to import them in to Gimp and paint underneath the image. Is there a way to do this? I know I can paint over the image, but I'd rather not lose sight of the detail.

Leigh S

After a strange year, I've been trying to get back to drawing by doodling - got a bit carried away "augmenting" these doodles in paintshop thingamee, but still at their heart doodles....

Darren Stephens

Great Dredds there, Night book. Love those "doodles" too, Leigh. Lovely textures to them. Very naturalistic.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

SKD

Fabulous work guys.

Merry Christmas all.

Stew.

staticgirl

Nightbook - I am unfamiliar with GIMP but I suspect you need to look at finding the contrast controls and playing with them a bit to start off with. You'll probably find other things that work with time too.

Also you will need to Learn to love Layers. You could create a layer on top of the pic which is transparent so that the colours don't obscure the inks. You could select and delete the white, create masks  - do all sorts. In fact there are quite a lot of options.

I would suggest googling tutorials for GIMP and  colouring in lineart until you find one for scanned in art. It's so long since I did it I can't really remember what I used to do. the art threads here in creative commons may also have more ideas.

DoomBot

Quote from: Nightbook on 24 December, 2012, 08:29:57 PM

I have two questions for folks more learned than myself: is there anything I can do to make the blacks blacker? I scanned the pictures in mono rather than colour but they both look a bit washed out. Also, having scanned them in I'd like to import them in to Gimp and paint underneath the image. Is there a way to do this? I know I can paint over the image, but I'd rather not lose sight of the detail.

I've used gimp for years although not much familiar with v2.8

If you're using Linux you can scan straight into gimp, not sure about windows.

To make the lineart darker use the levels tool in gimp, or even brightness/contrast settings as staticgirl suggests

To colour your lineart use layers. Copy the scanned in layer. Change it's mode to 'multiply', create a new layer underneath your multiply layer and colour on that. This is standard practice for most painting apps including photoshop. In fact many photoshop tutorials are equally applicable to gimp.

Nightbook

Staticgirl and DoomBot: thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated!

Another Dredd, albeit with the levels altered:

staticgirl

Nightbook

Thanks!

Here's a quick and dirty Ma-Ma I did in my lunch hour:

judda fett

Dig that Ma Ma there Nightbook.