Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Update: I am now on chapter eighty (yes, you read that right) of 'Patient Zero'. It's picking up a bit. Only forty-five or so chapters to go!

Steev

Mike Gloady

Liked "Matter" a great deal, I tend to prefer my Banks without the "M" but at least his sci-fi is more consistent than his non-genre fiction (everything without the "M" since the excellent "Whit" has been simply dreadful).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Odd_Bloke

I'm now reading FreakAngels, Batman and Superman are on hold.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: mikegloady on 21 August, 2009, 03:28:03 PM
Liked "Matter" a great deal, I tend to prefer my Banks without the "M" but at least his sci-fi is more consistent than his non-genre fiction (everything without the "M" since the excellent "Whit" has been simply dreadful).

I quite enjoyed The Steep Approach to Garbadale, but I can see you point, the majority of his more recent work have not been as enjoyable as his earlier novels.

Thanks everyone for the advice and as always you have most helpful. Looks like it's going to be Player of Games and Use of Weapons to get me started and maybe Excession after that then (big fan of The Wasp Factory).

PsychoGoatee

For current comics, I always read Invincible, Savage Dragon, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and Conan The Cimmerian. And of course 2000AD and The Megazine, although I'm behind on those.

I'm also plowing through the 1980's G.I. Joe comics lately, since the movie is out.

Sefton Disney

I've just finished Bad Men and The Black Angel by John Connolly. I really enjoyed his blend of hard-boiled noir and the supernatural; it put me in mind of a collaboration between Stephen Hunter and Peter Straub (which is Very Good Indeed, by the way!). I'd recommend them to anyone who enjoyed Michael Marshall's Straw Men novels, or F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack books, which explore similar territory.

At the moment, I'm reading the third Merrily Watkins novel by Phil Rickman, A Crown of Lights, then I think I'll probably start working my way through Connolly's Charlie Parker books from the beginning.

Player of Games and Use of Weapons get my vote for a newcomer's first Culture novels, too.

And, lastly, respect to Steev - your heroic perseverance with Patient Zero is an inspiration to us all. :-)

Zarjazzer

"Fallen Angels" more on the Horus heresy in WH40k universe. Quite fun, bit ponderous in places yet still manages to keep you interested even though you know the ending.

Comic book wise apart from twoofy I was reading "Descendant" from Image but haven't yet managed to get a copy of the second one.Good cover and decent art and story.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mike Gloady

Currently reading "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell, the worlds greatest b-movie actor ever and "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.  Enjoying both hugely. 

Last two comics I read were "Leviathan" by Edginton & D'Israeli (which I missed in the prog, it occuring during my long period of unfaithfulness.  LOVED it.  Also "Yesterday's Tomorrow's - The Collected Comics of Rian Hughes" recommended to me by this very forum.  Dare and Really & Truly were the only things I was familiar with but the rest of it is just as beautiful.  Good writing too (and I'm not a huge fan of Grant Morrison who scripted lots of this stuff so that's saying a lot).

Odd_Bloke

Still reading The Batman Chronicles, Volume Four.  Still enjoying the early Batman stuff.  Was slightly disappointed by the lack of The Joker in Batman #6, but he's back in #7 (which I'm part way through currently) so it's all OK.

TordelBack

QuoteCurrently reading "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell

If you're enjoying this, check out "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way".  The wife swears by it.  Ooo-err.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 August, 2009, 08:19:20 AM
If you're enjoying this, check out "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way".  The wife swears by it.  Ooo-err.
I'll just bet she does....  That's certainly on my list, but I was constrained by what was on the 3for2 at Waterstones...

uncle fester

Have just started reading From Hell.

I'll see you back here in about six months  :o

(Are there any other single GNs the size of phone books??)

I, Cosh

The leopards continue to be elusive, so I've had to turn elsewhere for my cheap thrills. Recently read The Black Cloud by Sir Fred Hoyle. I was surprised to stumble across this in a second hand shop as I had no idea the eminent astronomer had ever turned his hand to sci-fi. The tagline on the typically stylish Penguin jacket is "Science fiction by a scientist" and it could be seen as a deliberate attempt to demonstrate the appropriate, British way to respond to a mysterious extraterrestrial threat to life on Earth. Not terribly much happens and the characters are all essentially passive. Assumptions are made and conclusions extrapolated from them. Sometimes these are correct but, more often, something totally different happens and our boffins have to figure out why, never forgetting to remind us that that's okay as they were working from the most reasonable premise the first time. Stacks of people die offstage and nobody really minds too much; technological advances are made through a combination of Great British ingenuity and international co-operation across pointlessly obstructive political divisions.

Fred takes time out to have a few mildly amusing digs at amateur astronomers, academic rivalries and political meddling in science (why the Brits work far better than the Yanks) and everyone drinks plenty of tea. There's the odd shag and a funny Russian and it's all written in the pleasantly detached tone one would associate with a senior civil servant of the period interrupting your normal wireless programming to announce an impending nuclear strike. Good fun for fans of British sc-fi.
We never really die.

Odd_Bloke

Finished The Batman Chronicles, Volume 4 and was disappointed to discover that someone had cut all of the cover pages out of the library copy of Volume 5, so read World War Hulk instead, which was really good.  Kinda wish I'd read Planet Hulk beforehand, but it was still a very enjoyable read.  I'm now reading The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told.  I'm part way through the Jokerfish arc, and I'm enjoying it a great deal.

I leave you with one page from it:

PsychoGoatee